MS to blame? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-12-2008, 09:19 AM
MS to blame?

Hello Ladies,

Well it is almost a year since my TVH and I thought I would give a quick update. As some of you may know, I struggled with my surgery. . . Well as of today I am finally healing! Its taken 11 months to begin healing…. Sexual intercourse is still painful and at times so are my orgasms. I recently spoke to my obgyn who told me that I was going to get tested for MS. Multiple Sclerosis!!?!??? I could not believe that.. But one of the reasons why I am being tested is due to the fact the my organs were moderately to severely prolapsed at the age of 28.. They now believe that those muscles are damaged.. And that could be yet another reason why I have some lingering problems with my vaginal walls. Hormone wise (because I did keep my ovaries) I am feeling better. I have scar tissue on my right ovary..
My skin still brakes out horrendously during what should be my period date and I still have mood swings BUT I will say that they are few and far between so that is progress in my mind.
I did buy these things called “woo-balls” that help with incontinence and the elasticity of the vaginal canal.. I was told to use vaginal dilators but I opted to try those instead.. Not sure if I see a huge change but there is some good change involved.. Just slowly helping. Lots of changes have been coming my way.. My next move is to figure out if MS is the cause of the prolapsed organs. Is there anyone here with a similar situation??
Thanks for letting me speak out!
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2008, 01:08 PM
MS to blame?

Hi Yankeefan,
I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. I heal very slow and had severe prolapses.
Connective Tissue Disorders can also mimic symptoms of MS. Sadly in
the States the majority of our doctors lack the knowledge needed to diagnose
theses conditions. I found only geneticists seem to understand so-called
rare disorders. I have a cousin and an Uncle who were diagnosed with MS.
My Uncle's diagnose was a misdiagnose.

Take Care.
Unread 05-13-2008, 10:20 PM
MS to blame?

Hi Jen
I'm so glad to hear you're seeing some improvement physically and emotionally. I hope this trend continues until you're feeling really good.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the MS. I have been diagnosed with MS myself but I've never heard that prolapse problems could be tied to that diagnosis. That doesn't mean it isn't. I'm sure there is lots I don't know about it. Do you have any other symptoms that could possibly point to MS?

I agree that the diagnosis can be a difficult one to make. I would suggest you find a dr who specializes in MS, probably a neurologist. I asked many drs through the years about my very obvious MS symptoms and didn't find one who had any idea what I was talking about until I found my current dr.

I will be very intersted to hear what you find out. Let us know what's happening with this.

Thanks for the update. I hope everything just keeps getting better.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2008, 05:50 AM
MS to blame?

Hi Rita! Nice to hear from you again! Well I have always had problems with my immune system.. they have tested me for just about everything.. even Lupus. Its funny because I have "symptoms" of MS but I also feel it could be stress related? My prolapsed organs, hospitalized for complete exhaustion with no known reason, dehydrated.. always thirsty, muscle aches, just started wearing glasses but have floaters and blurred vision with dark spots and the Opt does not know why.. and muscle weakness in my legs mostly.. Can I ask you what your MS does to you and how you handle it? I was shocked to hear the MS can attack certain muscles int he body and the pelvic floor was one of them.. causing prolapsed organs and prolonged healing.. painful intercourse and such.
Unread 05-14-2008, 07:05 AM
MS to blame?

(((Jen)))
I have had symptoms come and go over the last 10 years. I've had periods of extreme fatigue, like you mentioned. I guess that's pretty common. When I was diagnosed I had muscle weakness on the left side of my body with numbness and tingling on that side and in both feet. I have also had the black spots in my vision a few times. MS is such a strange disease and different with every individual. I still get what I call 'raw nerve' sensations where my skin feels tingly and it's actually painful to touch. It comes and goes.

I decided a long time ago that I didn't like the drugs and so I have worked with naturopathic drs and tried all sorts of supplements through the years. I even did a form of mild electric shock treatment. I can't say I'm doing very well right now, but I also made a choice to exercise faithfully and have tried to keep my muscles strong and healthy.

As of my last MRI my dr is calling me a miracle. While I still have some lesions showing on the films, they are much fewer and my symptoms have pretty well subsided, so I consider myself blessed in many ways.

I've been told I need to 'manage my stress', that it is one of my worst enemies, I guess it is for everyone one way or the other. I do try to do that, but think the whole idea is pretty funny. You can't walk away from life and life is stressful sometimes. I manage stress by passing it UP. My faith keeps me strong or I would be a crazy person I think.

I hope the tests they're going to do are helpful for you. If you don't get answers that make sense to you, keep trying. Often a different dr can help. Don't let them confirm a diagnosis of MS without good proof of it. Keep me posted and let me know if I can help with anything.
's, Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register