4 days post hysterectomy: No BM yet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 days post hysterectomy: No BM yet 4 days post hysterectomy: No BM yet

Unread 10-16-2015, 06:03 PM
4 days post hysterectomy: No BM yet

I had a full hysterctomy on Monday.
Have not had a bowel movement since the morning before my surgery. I have been taking softners since Tuesday. I have passed gas but nothing else.I have been drinking a ton of water and 1 cup of coffee in the morning. How long should I go before I do something else??
What should I do. I still have pain from surgery and am still taking pain meds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Re: No BM yet

Peppermint tea and warm prune juice helped me.
Unread 10-16-2015, 06:43 PM

Did you have a bowel prep before surgery? If so there might not be much in your bowels. The pain meds will definitely contribute to constipation. Are you having severe pain? If not try switching to ibuprofen, taking it every 6 hours and see if works for the pain. It's a good anti-inflammatory and may be more helpful than the pain meds, which basically just mask pain in your brain. They don't help with inflammation. If the over the counter dose (200 mg X 2) does not help ask doc if you can go up to 600 or 800 mg. This is the prescription strength dose. You don't need a script you can just use the over the counter brand, but up the # of pills. But do check with your doc for the higher dose. The trick with ibuprofen is to take it regularly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybear View Post
Did you have a bowel prep before surgery? If so there might not be much in your bowels. The pain meds will definitely contribute to constipation. Are you having severe pain? If not try switching to ibuprofen, taking it every 6 hours and see if works for the pain. It's a good anti-inflammatory and may be more helpful than the pain meds, which basically just mask pain in your brain. They don't help with inflammation. If the over the counter dose (200 mg X 2) does not help ask doc if you can go up to 600 or 800 mg. This is the prescription strength dose. You don't need a script you can just use the over the counter brand, but up the # of pills. But do check with your doc for the higher dose. The trick with ibuprofen is to take it regularly.
I didn't have to do a bowel prep but I did have a BM the morning of my surgery.
No, it is not severe. I am taking pain meds every 3 hours and script ibuprofen 600 every 6 hours.
Unread 10-16-2015, 08:05 PM

That sounds good. I'd stop the pain meds and just go with the ibuprofen. Or maybe just take pain med at night. I ate 3-4 prunes a day and that helped me. You may also need a gentle laxative.
Unread 10-17-2015, 10:49 AM
Re: 4 days post hysterectomy: No BM yet

I had my surgery wed oct 7 and still had not had a bm by the following monday. I am a regular coffee drinker which usually sends me running to the bathroom but since I was taking the pain meds, opioids are the worst for causing constipation. My aunt got me Milk of magnesia, it says it takes 8 hours but it worked before then. you WILL go and a lot. I was just relieved I finally went even though it continued through the next 24 hours (but she made me take 2 doses instead of one because of the abdominal discomfort it was causing.
Unread 10-18-2015, 02:07 PM

I read somewhere that the typical time for the first BM after a hysterectomy is the fourth or the fifth day. I had my first BM on the fifth day after my LSH. (I felt like I was going to explode on the night of the fourth day.) So you're OK. It just takes your body a little time to "wake up" after being put to sleep through general anesthesia.
Unread 10-18-2015, 02:16 PM

I'm really starting to hurt with pressure.
I have dont stool softners since Tuesday.
I have drank 2TSP of milk of magnesia twice in 2 days. I drank 3oz of prunce juice nothing. Have back off from my pain medication.
I have walked alot.
I hurt so bad I need to take pain medication.
Unread 10-18-2015, 04:19 PM
Re: 4 days post hysterectomy: No BM yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschwartz82501 View Post
I'm really starting to hurt with pressure.
I have dont stool softners since Tuesday.
I have drank 2TSP of milk of magnesia twice in 2 days. I drank 3oz of prunce juice nothing. Have back off from my pain medication.
I have walked alot.
I hurt so bad I need to take pain medication.
Try not to take pain meds as they will continue to suppress bowel function. Try warm beverages and gentle massage, If this has not resolved by morning please contact your surgeon. There is a very rare condition where the bowel has been shocked and does not wake up after surgery, it is called paralytic ileus. That needs to be treated by your doc.
Please try not to worry as I doubt that is the problem. Are you passing gas? Can you hear and feel your bowels rumbling? Those are good signs. If not and you feel you can't wait til the morning or you vomit or you start to run a fever go to the ER.
Unread 10-18-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschwartz82501 View Post
I had a full hysterctomy on Monday.
Have not had a bowel movement since the morning before my surgery. I have been taking softners since Tuesday. I have passed gas but nothing else.I have been drinking a ton of water and 1 cup of coffee in the morning. How long should I go before I do something else??
What should I do. I still have pain from surgery and am still taking pain meds.
Hi!
If u can manage pain with just Tylenol and ibuprofen that might help. Drink tons of water, eat peaches, pears and when on the toilet try putting your feet up on a stool as this will help relax your pelvic muscles. I also took metamucil, but I have always used that daily even b4 surgery. These things worked for me and I had my first BM day 4.
Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register