TAH Day 20 post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Day 20 post op Day 20 post op

Unread 01-29-2017, 07:09 AM
Day 20 post op

This is my first time posting so I hope I am doing it right.
I was supposed to have keyhole vaginal removal of my uterus due to fibroids. I ended up having abdominal surgery as well due to my uterus being too large to fit. A normal uterus is 4cm x 4cm, mine measured 15cm x 12cm due to the fibroids. Apparently they were so dense the ultrasound could not measure them correctly. My uterus ended up weighing 500grams.
I find each day is a little better than the day before, in saying that the pain can be an ache in either the abdomen, vagina or both or stabbing and still gas pains at times. I have had a light pink discharge for over 2 weeks. It is not really strong in odour but has a slight sour smell. Sorry that is the only way I can describe it. I am concerned about infection. My abdominal wound seems to be more tender now than just after surgery. My energy levels are up and down. One day I will wake early and have a normal day then the next day I struggle to get off my bed. I am trying to be active however I haven't started walking around the block as yet. I am hoping to start this tomorrow. I walked for 45-60 minutes a day prior to surgery. Everyday I wonder if my symptoms are normal and am so thankful for the hystersister site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2017, 08:06 AM
Re: Day 20 post op

Hi there,
It wasn't that long ago I was 20 days post op....and I was still having more bad days than good days at that point. I did do some walking but my body was quick to tell me when it was enough, so walking the distance for me came in time.
The odor you're describing doesn't sound lie an like an infection,most likely its old blood. From what I've read some woman have a 'off' smell for a few weeks. If the smell becomes foul...like really bad and strong then I would call the Dr.
At 20 days post op I was still napping during the day... Well truth be told, still am,lol.....just when I need one thou.
Since the surgery I've been struck with bouts of insomnia... More so once the marches on, but its quite common to feel tired all of the sudden. Our bodies just went through major surgery, it takes time to heal....listen to your body, it knows best.
The pain your experiencing I would say its normal, unless you have a fever. I get swelly belly come the end of the day, my belly hurts inside and out...even sitting too long my vaginal will start to ache.
In time things do get better, be patient with yourself and listen to your body and in the meantime enjoy the cat naps and the extra help you have.

Magagrizz
Unread 01-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Day 20 post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceyleeb View Post

This is my first time posting so I hope I am doing it right.
I was supposed to have keyhole vaginal removal of my uterus due to fibroids. I ended up having abdominal surgery as well due to my uterus being too large to fit. A normal uterus is 4cm x 4cm, mine measured 15cm x 12cm due to the fibroids. Apparently they were so dense the ultrasound could not measure them correctly. My uterus ended up weighing 500grams.
I find each day is a little better than the day before, in saying that the pain can be an ache in either the abdomen, vagina or both or stabbing and still gas pains at times. I have had a light pink discharge for over 2 weeks. It is not really strong in odour but has a slight sour smell. Sorry that is the only way I can describe it. I am concerned about infection. My abdominal wound seems to be more tender now than just after surgery. My energy levels are up and down. One day I will wake early and have a normal day then the next day I struggle to get off my bed. I am trying to be active however I haven't started walking around the block as yet. I am hoping to start this tomorrow. I walked for 45-60 minutes a day prior to surgery. Everyday I wonder if my symptoms are normal and am so thankful for the hystersister site.
I still do walking laps in my house.lol. Some days you will feel like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. It just seems to go with recovering. Try to be patient with yourself and listen to your body. It will guide you and let you know when you're tired or have overdone something. Bags of frozen peas are great for the swelling because they are really light on the tummy.
Hope that helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register