Introducing myself | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Introducing myself Introducing myself

Unread 07-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Introducing myself

Hi everyone...I am Lizzie. I am 31 yrs old and having my surgery on the 4th of Aug. It is a partial hysterectomy...but possibly total. My doc says that they are going to try to leave my left ovary if there isnt too much scar tissue.

I have lots and lots of scar tissue that has attached itself pretty much all over the place. I had read on a post in here about a woman who has lower back problems due to her scar tissue attaching itself....I never even thought about that! I have ALOT of lower back pain especially during my periods...I wonder if that is why?

I had my apt on Friday and the doc told me that a hysterectomy would be best due to all my problems...and I have already had laps done....I was in such shock and was so upset by it that I asked no questions! Now I started reading some posts here..and I am kind of scared! A CATHETER????

Anyways...I am really glad I found you guys!

Lizzie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2003, 10:05 PM
Introducing myself

Hi Lizzie,

Welcome to hystersisters. I am sure you have read on this site that your fear is normal, it is trust me. The catheter from what I remember is pretty much painless. You can ask them to put it in when you are asleep or after they have given you your lala land cocktail. Every time I had one during surgery it was removed before I left the recovery room, although I don't expect that will be the case with my hyst.
You seem to have a very positive attitude about all of this, that will go far in your recovery process. Post any and all questions you have, chances are someone here will know the answers.

s to you.
Unread 07-21-2003, 05:27 AM
Catheter?

Hi Lizzie -

I just had my TAH on 7/9/03. Don't concern yourself with the catheter. It was put in after I had a combo/ediidural and taken out after they shut off the epidural the day after my surgery. They left the epi in so they could give me pain meds directly. It was a blessing not to have to worry about getting up right after the surgery to tinkle. Taking it out was a breeze, no pain at all.

Wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery :-)

Lorrie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2003, 05:47 AM
Introducing myself

Hi

I am just on my two week post op today. It wasn't so bad. I had a catheder but in was in place when I sorta came around and never felt a thing when it was removed.

They put these thumping things on my legs which kept the blood flowing to prevent blood clots. Kept my feet warm. Once I started being able to get out of bed and walk about didn't need them any more.

I mostly slept and was out of it during my stay. It's a bit rough the first time they get you up but certainly nothing as bad as my imagings.

Wasn't really hunger but ate a little when it was brought to me.

I had a problem with acid reflux and acid stomach. Now I would pack some tums or tagamint.

Best wishes.

Don't really have an answer for the scar problem. I know that scar tissue can sometimes cause problems.

I think this is a great site. It relieved alot of my worries.

Kasha Kitty
Unread 07-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Introducing myself

Hi Lizzie,

There is a good chance you have found the cause of your back pain. I had severe endo at an early age - it caused infertility. I had such painful periods (inlcuding back pain) that I would actually get a fever and vomit. I had surgery that removed much of it, and helped a little. My first pregnancy helped to clear even more of the endo. Now, it's 8 years since my last son was born, and it has been getting worse again. The back pain during my periods is not as severe as 20 years ago, but is still beyond "normal."

I'm hoping that although I'm having my TVH (possible TAH and BSO) for CIN III, that they will also remove most of the endo - otherwise, if I still have my ovaries and hormone cycles, I may have to deal with the pain - even with no periods. But, I don't want to lose my ovaries yet if I don't need to. One has a cyst and may need to go - that is the one that we know functions - the other one probably does not function anyway.
Unread 07-23-2003, 04:39 AM
Introducing myself

Hi Lizzie,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

While I'm sorry that you may be facing surgery, I am glad that you found HS and posted to introduce yourself. I would like to urge you to not rush into it, though, without obtaining at lest one, if not two, more opinions. A hysterectomy is major surgery, and, unless it's being done for a life-threatening reason, should never be done unless you have tried all other possibilities.

Have you read some of the articles found in the Resource Forum?

If you do decide that you are going ahead with your surgery, then be sure to read the Pre-Op Hints (click here) and the Post-Op Hints (click here). They are full of great advice that will help you to prepare for your surgery and recovery.

I hope you'll continue to read and to post any questions that you may have - we'll do our best to help.

Oh - please go back into your control panel and add your surgery date to your profile so you'll be on the calendar and will receive a special greeting from HS.

's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register