Scheduled TVH Iv pump medications | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Iv pump medications Iv pump medications

Unread 02-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Iv pump medications

I am new here ladies and would love any information you might be able to provide. I will be having a TVH in March. I have never had any children, which has me a little concerned. My doctor after a exam, stated that my ueterus is not enlarged and feels an abdominal would not be needed. I love my doctor but boy he is ruff! Which leads me to the question of IV pump medications. I know that morphine or demerol are the most used medication. Because of a respitory reaction i have had from both of those and also tachacardia that needs to be addressed. i was hoping that some of you might have some info on any other pump medications that are out there that any of you have used. I will meet with the anesthiologist to discuss this but feel, some of you might be able to share your experiance with this. Very nervous about this up coming surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Re: Iv pump medications

I was given Toradol. Some women are given Diluadid.
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:51 PM

Post-op, I also had Toradol (also called Keterolac). It's not a narcotic, it's basically an IV version of ibuprofen. It worked very well for me. I also tried some Dilaudid but it made me very nauseated. After the first night, I switched from Toradol to oral ibuprofen, and spent the first 3-4 days on that and Vicodin.

If I were you, I'd talk to the doctor and make sure they know your history of adverse reactions with pain medication. There are tons and tons of them out there, there shouldn't be a problem finding some that will work for you!

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2012, 07:11 PM

Thanks so much for the info! It makes sense to consider the toradol seeing i have had such horrble reactions to the narcotic form. After researching the Dialudid, it seems to me that this is just another form of Morphine. Tango what type of reactions did you have while on the toradol, if any. I like the fact you do not have to be all drugged up like on a narcotic. Was the toradol admisterd by a psa pump that you contol? I did read an article that stated if toradol is used in the recovery room in a drip, it help greatly with the imflamation. Also i looked into a lidocaine drip. For sure going to talk to my doctor about the toradol. This just might be the fix for me along with the vicodin. Thanks so much! This was my only fear being in pain.
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:38 AM

Tango were you given the toradol in a pump that you admisterd your self or was it in an iv drip. I have an older doctor and need to talk to him about this medication. I am looking for information on the ration that is put in a pump or IV.
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:55 AM

Hi again! I didn't have any adverse reactions to the Toradol. I received it through my IV on a scheduled basis -- I think my dose was 15mg, which came out to 1ml, so it was injected straight into my IV site. I didn't have a PCA (patient-controlled analgesic) pump or any pain medication running in the drip at all. In fact, after I finished the bag of fluids that was started in the OR, I didn't have fluids running at all.

Hope this helps!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register