Appetite - eating 3 meals a day is making me nauseous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Appetite - eating 3 meals a day is making me nauseous Appetite - eating 3 meals a day is making me nauseous

Unread 11-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Appetite - eating 3 meals a day is making me nauseous

Any one experienced nausea after eating? I am 7 days post-op and have found that 3 meals a day is making me sick to my stomach. Last night after dinner I had major cramping and diarrhea. It was a little concerning, but have taken it easy today and so far have been fine. I am not taking prescription pain meds during the day, only at night so I can be comfortable to sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Re: Appetite - eating 3 meals a day is making me nauseous

Can only speak from my own experience, but yes, I also had food issues for a week or two after surgery -- not able to eat full meals. I ended up eating smaller, more frequent, meals and bland food and that helped. Then gradually increased size of meals as I felt better. Onions or any gas-causing food caused painful cramping gas -- one bout sent me back to doctor on day 7 -- so I tried to stay away from them for a couple of weeks.
Unread 11-13-2014, 02:23 PM

Yes....Small and often....Water. Water. Water. ....A little what you fancy......x
Keep going. ....iv felt just the same and still not eating as much as I did before...not a bad thing I have lost 10 lbs. ...and I'm week 6 x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Appetite - eating 3 meals a day is making me nauseous

I'm 7 days post tomorrow and I've experienced the same. My Dr says my body is still waking up and getting used to my normal activities which can take some time. Time meaning a few weeks. He suggest I eat very little and eat frequent while sipping lots of water. I tried it after our conversation and I feel 100% better. So eat very little I also take Gas X which helped too. I haven't been on pain meds since leaving the hospital. Good luck, I hope this helps
Unread 11-13-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pita301 View Post
Any one experienced nausea after eating? I am 7 days post-op and have found that 3 meals a day is making me sick to my stomach. Last night after dinner I had major cramping and diarrhea. It was a little concerning, but have taken it easy today and so far have been fine. I am not taking prescription pain meds during the day, only at night so I can be comfortable to sleep.
It took me a full two weeks post-op to be able to eat meals again, and I am a large lady who really enjoys food! Zofran and Gatorade really helped. After those, I ate small amounts of light foods - Jello, broth, soup with sparse amounts of noodles - as I could tolerate.
I don't know about you, but just being in a fully upright position has caused nausea after a while. It's not as bad for me now at the end of week 4, but still happens after a long period; maybe 45 minutes/1 hour.
Happy recovering!
Unread 11-13-2014, 03:25 PM

Don't force yourself to eat full meals if your body doesn't want to. It's really typical that for the first week or two after surgery, smaller, more frequent meals work better. The first week after surgery, I lived on yogurt, fresh fruit, peanutbutter toast and canned lentil soup because that's what my body wanted to eat.
Unread 11-13-2014, 04:00 PM

My appetite went south for a few weeks after my surgery as well. Don't force it -- just each high-nutrient, high-calorie things that are whole and healthy, and let your appetite return to normal it is own time.
Unread 11-13-2014, 04:24 PM

Same here - I haven't gotten entirely nauseous, but I feel uncomfortable and ill after eating a full meal. Lots of small meals/snacks instead and TONS of water have helped!
Unread 11-13-2014, 04:29 PM

Thanks ladies. I tend to get nauseated when I don't eat, so I know I have to eat something even if it's small. I feel like it's a catch 22! I can't really afford to lose much more weight, I have lost 8 pounds since my surgery. Most people would be happy with that, but it puts me underweight!
Unread 11-13-2014, 04:38 PM

I'm tallish and lanky. Most people would say I don't have any weight to lose. I also live with chronic depression. For the most part it's well-managed, but every now and then I get tossed into an active episode, and that *always* does a number on my appetite. I've learned from this that small, frequent meals are the key.

I've also learned not to worry about how many calories I'm getting, or rather not getting. Rather, I've found that the most important thing is to key my sugars stable, because hypoglycemic attacks are not fun. I don't mean chow down on a lot of sugary junk! But fresh fruit, dairy products containing lactose and galactose (if you can tolerate these) and healthy carbs like whole-grain products are your friends.

Rice is about the easiest thing to digest. My mother used to give rice cereal to her infants as their first solid food. When all else fails, see if you can eat a bit of plain rice. Or puffed rice cereal or rice crackers. Anything like that.

At one point in my life I worked on a small boat. We always brought rice crackers with us for people who'd gotten seasick and thrown up. Rice crackers were a way for them to get something in their stomachs without triggering another bout of sickness.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register