pain, possible adhesions help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain, possible adhesions help! pain, possible adhesions help!

Unread 01-25-2006, 03:53 PM
pain, possible adhesions help!

I just saw my gyn today due to vaginal and abdominal pain. I had a problem with cuff cellulitis 6wks after my hyst. When I spoke to him on the phone on Mon I thought that possibly the infection was back so he started me on antibiotics. Since the pain was getting worse I went to see him today. He feels the pain is coming from behind the cuff and behind the bladder. He's not sure what it could be. I'm so frustrated, I started to cry. He said we could do a cat scan , and possibly its adhesions. If its adhesions it will get better. Now I'm confused because since when do adhesions get better? I had my hyst due to severe adhesions, are there different types? I had the scan today, but I really doubt its going to show anything. I really don't know what to do. The pain is awful and its really disrupting my life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2006, 05:14 PM
pain, possible adhesions help!

I very much FEEL for you hon. I just got past my one- month post op for a lap surgery for adhesions. They were from my hyst in June. Yes, they HURT TERRIBLY ! The pain just got worse and worse. The sad thing is that about 4 weeks po from my hyst on June 15th, I felt like I was getting better. So I began to return to somewhat normal things (not all the things you know, but housework-wise). But after a few more weeks, it seemed like everyone kept saying "You'll feel better really soon now." but it just NEVER happened. And at the end of the morning (like near noon) I was DONE for the day and in so much pain when I had just gotten UP. I spent just about my entire summer in bed because doing ANYTHING at ALL was "over-doing it". But my Surgeon and my PCP were scratching their heads because although I am one of those "slow healers", neither of them could figure out what it could be. I had test after test after test that all came back with nothing but showing I was suffering from diareah and it was causing me to go from 117 at the time of my hyst (which was down from 124 due from upset and crying over having to have a hyst in the first place) to a VERY bad 105 pounds. I had CT scans, Colonoscopy, blood draw, XRays, and I cannot remember all the others.(The hyst was $35K and the rest have added up to total over $75K by Dec 31st after the Lap Surgery on Dec 19th. So that gives you an idea of the tests.) FINALLY, my PCP saw it was just adding to my bad depression that I was already put on Zoloft for in Aug after the hyst, and he said "Enough ! We will have a Gyno do a lap and go back in and see what is going on in there." and gave me a choice, so I took the very best one ( who is also pretty well known and did biopsy on me and his father delievered me when I was born) and he found the problem- severe adhesions were pulling my colon upward connecting nearly to my liver and more pulling my ovaries toward each other and to my belly button. So while I was up doing things, it would get more pulled and do more hurting. They grew instead of shrank like they CAN do and usually do for most people. They showed up on NO TEST at all. Only going in can find them. And they only will do it as a very last resort for me. The hyst was a life or death thing- I didn't get a choice. But it was one of those things- otherwise, my PCP said I would NEVER have surgery unless I HAD to. So when all this came up (fibroids and unbeknownst to us as they didn't tell us till AFTER that they were taking out my uterus because of my cervix and the changes on it could have led to cancer in a year), it hit me hard.
Then to have pain upon pain when everyone I knew kept saying "It will get better !" and it did not. And the terrible HURT of all this happening to me....
You cannot imagine how it felt to kneel down today in TEARFUL THANKSGIVING that I FINALLY FEEL BETTER !!! VERY VERY tired all the time but at least it is only ACHING now and not a terrible, sharp, killer PAIN all day and night. (I was warned that I was not yet healed from the hyst and a Lap on top of that was going to take a LONG time to get back up from, so I have to be patient and work my way back to strength again and SLEEP when I feel tired.) I was woken up at night all the time with terrible sharp pains that doubled me up in bed. And now, only once or twice and both times from coughing or sneezing...
Which I have found out that coughing, sneezing, laughing and (I do too much of this last one so I know first hand here) crying...... all are VERY bad for you and can lead to sudden PAIN !!!
I have kept my tummy pillow I got the day of my hyst from the hospital. They didn't need to give me a new one for this surgery because I carry it with me and use it every minute. That is how SORE I am still. My tummy is still green from bruise of surgeries. And I still sit on pillows on every chair. If people look, too bad ! Most everyone around me knows the reason and those who don't have NO idea all I have been through in one year. So they can lump it !
As for my DH and our two wonderful sons...they are STILL helping me in every way and I have tons of church family who have stuck by me and prayed for me. My DH's parents have "babysat" me and because I am not ready to drive yet (attention problems as well as dizziness still) they all take me where I need to be.
Thank GOD- I had my first Mammogram last week (to make sure no stray tumors are anyplace else) and she said that is IT. No more appts till I just have a check up in June with my PCP. (Or if he calls me in before because of the meds I have to take.) And I feel like I am FINALLY FINALLY on my way back to LIFE !!!
THANK YOU LORD !!!
I sure hope you push at your Dr to not let this go. NOONE should have to live in pain. I am happy to say my own Dr told me that. I am lucky to have him for the past 23 years. I hope for you that you also have a GOOD Dr !! If not, go get one. You deserve to live in peace. Or at least (as he said IF they do come back and they CAN, so we have to wait and see) you can learn how to deal with it and CONTROL it. There are a ton of Pain Clinics now that help control chronic pain. I may still have to attend the one they chose for me in case the lap didn't work or they come back. But at least I will be given a way to LIVE with it. Like my deafness.
Now, if only I can learn how to live without my uterus. Everyone else is ok with it, but helps me when I am still crying over it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register