Abdominal Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Hysterectomy Abdominal Hysterectomy

Unread 10-15-2007, 07:16 AM
Abdominal Hysterectomy

Anyone know how long and how often one is supposed to wear the elastic band around your abdomen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2007, 07:28 AM
Abdominal Hysterectomy

I didn't have a band after my tah/bso. Since we're all different and dr's have different methods & regulations, call and ask your's. I think that it's best to be cautious

S
Unread 10-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Abdominal Hysterectomy

I also never wore a band after my TAH. Your dr probably gave it to you as a splint and comfort tool! Check in with him/her and find out!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Abdominal Hysterectomy

Originally, I was supposed to wear my tummy binder for a week or two after surgery but, when my incision opened up, it turned out to be for 5 weeks. (I had two surgeons and they gave conflicting advice.)

Best advice is to ask your doctor.
Unread 10-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Abdominal Hysterectomy

I just heard back from my doctor and he said that it is mainly for my comfort, which is good to know. I have been taking it off occasionally especially when having gas pains. I usually laid still when it was off just in case it was holding things together.
Unread 10-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Abdominal Hysterectomy

I called my doctor the other day because when I try to lie on my side to sleep, it feels as if all my intestines are slopping around inside me. (Surgery took out a mass of fibroids; doc took a souvenir picture; honeydew plus 6 plums equiv.) Doc said to get a belly band. Will this work? Does anyone else feel sloppy inside? Hurts after about a minute of lying on my side - and I sure miss sleeping on my side!
Unread 10-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Abdominal Hysterectomy

I definately feel like things are moving around but I assume that is normal from having organs removed. It sounds like you had more removed than I did.

Have you tried the belly band yet?
Unread 10-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Abdominal Hysterectomy

I have the same feeling when I lay on my side! Gosh, it's uncomfortable! I'm almost glad to know that I'm not the only one. It feels like things are moving around inside when I try to lay on my side. I've never used any kind of band. My dr never mentioned it. I wonder if it will help.

Does anyone know if it helps? Or how to make the feeling go away?

Pam
Unread 10-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Abdominal Hysterectomy

What I had was a tummy binder. The gave it to me in the hospital. It wraps around and has velcro so you can make it tighter or looser. Not sure if it's the same thing as a belly band.

I am really overweight and the tummy binder really helped me. To me, it felt like it held things together and gave me extra support. With it, I wasn't worried about sitting up, standing up, or rolling over or anything.
Unread 10-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Abdominal Hysterectomy

How long was it before your incision opened up?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register