Sisters w/Physical Job-how are you doing after hyster? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sisters w/Physical Job-how are you doing after hyster? Sisters w/Physical Job-how are you doing after hyster?

Unread 01-31-2006, 03:40 PM
Sisters w/Physical Job-how are you doing after hyster?

Hi sisters,
I have a physical job and I've been back to work awhile now.I was just wondering about all of you.How you are feeling?Any problems since you've been back to work?How are you handling everything? Most of the time I do pretty good.There are some days that I still get pains.It almost feels like period cramps.I have a wt. rest. of 30 pds.My doc. wanted 20 pds. but I was afraid of what my boss would say.I wonder now if that was a mistake.Even so, I think sometimes I still lift over 30 pds. even though I shouldn't.Even sometimes the bxs. are lighter, but somedays I have to lift bxs. the whole day and that can be rough.If there are any sisters out there with physical jobs, please reply and let me know how your doing?I would just like to know if the job gets to you sometimes like it gets to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2006, 04:37 PM

Hey J.D.,
Nice to hear from someone this far along working a physical type job.
I work one too, with lots of lifting: and have a lot of the same feelings you do. Things are easier, but there are some days that I get those crampy, pulling, pinchy, types of pain. I still get a case of "swelly belly" now & then too.

My endurance has improved though...But I do still take a nap most days after I get off.

Believe me, the work load certainly gets to me at times. Sometimes I wonder HOW the heck am I going to get through the week, month, year after year?!?

I am very careful w/the lifting too, my restriction was 40#; but I can't lift that anymore. 30# is about my limit. I feel the "pull" inside when I do much over 30, but like you, sometimes you just gotta do it!

We will just have to keep on keepin on, huh?

*still glad I had the surgery, though...can you believe it is almost a year now?
Unread 01-31-2006, 06:06 PM

hi ladies
I will be returning to a physical job on feb 13....i discussed this with my doctor before surgery,the lifting and stuff ....she said i should be able to do it at 6 weeks postop without any problems. Im so worried about going back...when did you go back to work full time? And why are the weight restrictions this far out? Im worried my doctor is wrong about the 6 weeks....what "could" happen if i do this without restrictions? I will be discussing this at 6 week post op appt. but just would like personal experience from you both.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2006, 06:50 PM

I had my 12-8 still not being able to lift anything over 20lbs for 4 weeks yet. I work in medical records and push a cart from 50# to 200 and they wont even let me do that.
Unread 01-31-2006, 06:59 PM

I am 5 1/2 months out and have been back to work for 4 1/2 of them. I have a very physical job (work in a mailroom at a hospital) that requires me to lift heavy boxes, push heavy carts, and be on my feet all day. It took a good ten weeks for me to feel strong and safe enough to do any heavy lifting (over 10lbs). Even now I feel some pain if I lift anything too heavy. I have come to the point where I will ask for help lifting something if I need to. I will NOT risk damaging anything internally for the sake of pride!
As for energy, I am still very fatigued by the end of the day, but for me a lot of that has to do with struggling with hormone balance (I no longer have my ovaries and take hrt). I too wonder how I am going to survive another week, and then the thought of doing it all over again week after week. OMG! For now I am taking the one day at a time approach and trying not to look too far in to the future. It gets too overwhelming. Still I have entertained the thought of working parttime, believe me! If only I could find a parttime job with benefits (ie health insurance). I would do it in a minute. I live with my boyfriend and share utilities, etc. so finances aren't as much of a problem as having that darn health insurance. Lord knows my medical bills are bad enough. And I am having chronic nausea now that the doctors can't figure out. I have lost five lbs off my 116lb 5'6" frame and am getting worried. All that hard work everyday isn't helping the situation.
Glad to hear I am not alone in this struggle. Hang in there guys! It has to get better for us!
Unread 01-31-2006, 09:34 PM

Hi floweraddict,
I was released to return to work after 4 wks. I knew I wasen't ready that soon, but I did go back just after my sixth week.
You are fine w/the lifting as long as your doc ok's it...and you are well aware of your own limitations.

When I first went back, lifting was not as bad as I was worried about-- but boy, the fatigue! I would be totally pooped at the end of the day! And the "swelly belly"...that was something to deal with for quite awhile.
The secret to surviving the lifting is to be very aware of proper body mechanics. Lift correctly--that is very important now!
You will be astonished at what you can do, & at how tired you are after doing it!!
As far as overdoing it--your body will tell you. Least case: swelly belly from h---; worse case: risk of scarring.
You doc wont release you unless you are ready!

---Naturebound...I have the same dilemma as you w/insurance: boooo! Gotta work full time to have it!
I am trying a four day week now though; 32 hours is considered full time w/my company. I have always worked 40-45 hrs a week, and this change is a true blessing. A cut in $$$, but well worth it. I simply cant do the hours I once was capable of. I have never had to put limitations on myself, now I must!
Unread 02-01-2006, 05:50 AM

Hi sisters,
Thanks for the replies. I was given 8 wks. off, I just explained to my doc. what my job required and that I didn't want to go back to soon. So she was really good about giving me to time that I needed. I ended up with adhesions at the end of 8 wks. and needed more surgery. So I got an extra 2 wks. post op. I work in a plastic molding center and sometimes the bxs. can be really heavy. My wt. rest. is for the rest of my life. I try and lift the correct way and I also do kegels everyday. I still worry about my body and if I'm doing the right thing or not. Oh the things us women go through. I'm so glad to know that I'm not alone and that my sisters understand.

I just feel like everyone around me is sick of listening to me and does not understand where I'm coming from.
Unread 02-01-2006, 07:04 AM

Hi again...it is so scary thinking about lifting. My job consist of 40lb-75lb mail bags being carried all day long
Maybe i should look into another line of work? I havent been there a full year and if i am out any longer than 6 weeks i will have to reapply. Their benefits is what keeps me also. They are soooooooooo good and cheap lol
My neighbor said that lifting that much all day will sure make me use my insurance lol
I love the people and really hate to start over. I just feel like i'll never be the same again.
JD i know where your coming from...my family says im dwelling on it to much....its only been 4 weeks geeesh
Im going to see if doc will put me on light duty for a little while.
Thanks for this post ....i really need it
Unread 02-01-2006, 07:32 AM

floweraddict,
Wow, you totally get it! My family thinks I'm dwelling on it also. How can you not dwell on it? I'm scared to death of more surgery. The doc. gave me a warning that could be possilbe if I don't change jobs. I know what you mean about really liking the job you have now. Where I live good jobs are very hard to find. It took almost 2 yrs. to find this one. The pay is awsome, beneifits are great, the hrs. are good for my family, I love my boss, it's not to far from my house. There is just all these good things. Just the lifting is the only really bad thing. I feel like I would be a fool to quit this job, then again would I be a fool to stay. With this job me & my DH are in a good place and are able to give my kids a good life. What to do, what to do?
Unread 02-01-2006, 08:44 AM

Hi girls,

I had my op on Sept 22 and went back to work Dec1 (8 weeks out). The first month was TORTURE I had to cut my hours down to half days. I am a massage therapist and I would feel pains doing my massages and the fatigue was a killer.

I now have increased my hours and manage to get through almost a full day, but like another sister, have chosen to work 4 day weeks. I too agree that the pay cut is worth it....we are blessed that my Dh has a really good job to allow me to do this.

Even after 2 months of being back to work, I still get very tired some days and just about collapse with a glass of wine on the couch with my old freiend swelly belly!!! Even if I lift something slightly wrong or a bit too heavy I feel a tugging and some irritating pain.

I am just hanging in there. My energy levels have increased with every month, so by summer I should feel like my old self! And hopefully the rest of you will too

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register