I'm a yo-yo! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm a yo-yo!

Everyday I get up I've changed my mind again. I'm not sure whether to go through with my hysterectomy (removing ovaries as well) on Sept. 22nd, '06 or not. I have a lot bleeding due to fibroids, have many, many fibroids and am starting to have some pain associated with them, mostly sitting up I feel very uncomfortable. Any thoughts, ladies? I'm 48 years old and haven't had any signs of menopause as of yet, but sometimes I wonder if I can hang on for 2 or 3 years, maybe it will resolve itself. Other times I don't think I could possibly wait that long... The largest fibroid I have is now 7.5 centimeters. ???

Also a couple of other quick questions:

1. Does HRT help with the sex drive if there are
problems after the hysterectomy with low sex drive?

2. Do woman actually die during hysterectomies?

3. How long does the actual procedure take, from the
time you're put out til you wake up. Anyone know?

4. And maybe an unsual question but I can't find an answer anywhere: Does sex feel different for the man after his partner has had a hysterectomy? Can they feel that it's different?

Thanks for any help. (Sorry if some of these questions seem a bit silly or naive but these have been on my mind a very long time.)

Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm a yo-yo!

Firstly, it's totally OK and normal to be a "yo-yo" about this! It is major surgery and permanent.
I'll try to answer your questions from what I've learned so far ...
1. If you keep your ovaries with a hyst, you should not need hormone replacement. If you have your ovaries removed, HRT of some form is usually tried. There are no clear studies on sex drive and how it is affected by a hyst. The feeling is often that if you had a good sex life before surgery, that will return following the surgery -- albeit after a significant recovery time (varies from woman to woman)
2. With any major surgery, there is a risk of death. However, medican advances with anaesthesia meds and techniques have greatly reduced this risk.
3. The length of time the surgery takes varies. There are many different types of hysterectomies that you can research at this site and of course, ask your doctor. From what I understand, the shortest time would be about 45-60 min. but could take as long as 3 hours if you have a bladder repair or other procedures.
4. Apparently, some men do notice a bit of a difference - particularly if the cervix has been removed OR if there was any type of prolapse previously. What I've heard/read is that any differences are minimal and not unpleasant.

Your not silly or naive --- how else will you know about this if you don't ask??

Hope that helps you some .... feel free to post more questions as you think of them and research the many areas at this site.
Unread 08-27-2006, 03:58 PM
I guess you could call me a YO-YO too!!!

Hi Cathyann3

I have also been up and down too with my decision and think I have finally decided what I will do. For me - I am 49 and I have always had the pain, bladder problems, irritable bowl which is what we always thought my pain was from. I am overwhelmed with all the research I have been doing on-line, asking around, reading everyone's posts here - everyone is their own person - I too worry about going right into menopause - I have had a constant battle of depression and all sorts of pills that never work and it runs in the family. I have also had a lot of deaths in the immediate family. Some cancer some not but has left me very lost. For me I wouldn't want to worry every time I have a pain or bloated stomach that it is something more if I leave my ovaries in. It has certainly been a rollercoaster of emotions - but I have a lot of faith and trust my doctor and that was her advice to take them out - I have been the one that has been questionning and having doubts. After speaking with a couple of nurses - one that works in hospice - that somewhat helped finalize my decision - but that is only because of my history and issues I have now. I know you will make the right decision - and it is such a major decision - you have every right I feel to be a yo-yo about it. Good luck and let me know what you do decide. Take as much time as you can to make your decision - it is so very important. TAke care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register