Scheduled TAH What happens day of surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What happens day of surgery What happens day of surgery

Unread 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM
What happens day of surgery

Ask so many prepped questions at my appointment , but wondering this , Monday morning I go for surgery what happens before the operating room or just in the op room . And having a tube down my throat scares me too !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Re: What happens day of surgery

Hey Sister this is a piece of cake. I checked in to my hospital. In my waiting area I got undressed. Got my IV's started. Both my Dr's ( I had a bladder repair too) came in to see how I was and confirm my consent. They took all my viyals and I waited my turn with my husband. When my turn came they scooted me down the hall. I kissed my husband and the anesthesiologists said "hang on se will want this" and she put a medicine in my IV. I went into the operating room. Waved to my Docs and that was all I remember.
I have no recollection of placing the catheter or breathing tube or anything. It will be fine. Just remember you will be better off if you do this then if you don't. Hang in there
Hugs
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Hi, I went into a room I guess pre op. There, after I changed into a hospital gown and wiped my stomach with some kind of antiseptic wipe, they got the iv ready, asked me questions regarding allergies, and answered any questions I had. I met the anesthesiologist and talked some more with my doctor. They gave me a shot for my nerves (have no idea what). I remember being wheeled out of the room and that's it. don't remember going into surgery or anything. As for the tube, it happened after I out and gone before I woke up. I wouldn't have guessed it was even in there. My throat wasn't even sore.
Overall, it wasn't as bad an experience as I thought. I was absolutely terrified this being my first surgery ever. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Some of it depends on where you are living.

Here are some articles that walk you through it step by step.

What to Expect? Never Had Surgery! Part 1

What to Expect? Never Had Surgery! Part 2

What to Expect? Never Had Surgery! Part 3

I hope this helps.
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM

I have had several surgeries, and it wasn't until the 6th one, that I even knew they put a tube in my throat! . Like the other ladies, there was no recollection.
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:18 PM

Really, the worst part about surgery is the bowl prep (if you have to do one) and the anxiety worrying about the surgery. Surgery itself is a piece of cake
If they put anything inside of you, (tube, catheter) you will be happy in la la land and won't even notice it going in or out.
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:21 PM

I am just shy of three weeks post TAH. On the day of my surgery I arrived at hospital 2 hours before scheduled surgery time. They had me change from clothes into Johnny, then they took my blood pressure, temp and started an IV. Through the IV they gave me some medication to help with anxiety. Then they gave me shot of heprin (for preventing blood clots) Then the surgical team and anesthesologist came in to go over procedure. Anestgesologist asked some questions regarding medical history, answered any questions I had and went over what type of anesthesia they were going to use. I then signed consent forms and they gave me medicine through IV to put me to sleep. Next thing I knew I woke up in recovery. I was concerned about nausea so they gave me an anti nausea patch on my neck before surgery and I had no nausea when I woke up. About the intubation I was also anxious about the idea of being intubated. They do not intubate until you are out and you are extubated before you wake up. Although this was one of my biggest worries I was happy that it is all done while you are under. For the next two days I had a minor sore throat but I had werthers candy to suck on and it helped a lot. Hope this helps answer your question. Sending positive thoughts your way.
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:34 PM

Thanks sooo much everyone , I feel better , keep me in your prayers , for a positive recovery and cancer free results !
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:56 PM

Will say a prayer for you. I know the anxiety waiting on results. Hope your results are benign.
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:18 PM

I have to add to what the others already have written...I had such bad anxiety that my blood pressure was way up..worry worry worry...lol...but it was no problem once it got started and really, I should have not worried.

I arrived on time, which was a good thing since we live a couple of hours away, so it gave me plenty of time to get a good head of steam going over what ifs going, what a waste of time! I was preregisterd so all I had to do was show my identification and the put the bracelet on...then had vitals taken, IV started and waited with my husband till it was my turn.
I got pushed down this long hallway by a nurse that was getting in her daily jog, she was a crack up, told me she didn't have to run later if she jogged while she pushed the beds to the OR. When we were outside the OR the anesthesiologist came out and one of the secondary doctors came out and hung out with me and we talked about my driving horses, totally took my mind off things, then into the OR and the circulating nurse was this totally good looking man. I told the docs, oh great a good looking man in here with me nekkid...and that is the last thing I remembered! No bad stuff at all, no pain, no memory..I was told later that they give me Versed to get rid of the memory, and it worked because I had no anxiety at all later. Woke up in the recovery room and it was all finished...

I will be thinking of you Monday, you will be fine...

Plus added, they were doing mine because they thought I may have uterine cancer and I didn't.. it IS possible to go through all this and have a wonderful outcome... adding my good wishes to all those from the other ladies.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register