The "After" Expectations??????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The "After" Expectations??????? The "After" Expectations???????

Unread 05-30-2002, 09:37 AM
The "After" Expectations???????

I'm very nervous because I don't know what to expect. I think the hospital stay is 2 days for a vaginal, but how much should I expect to be able to do for myself when I get home? How long before I can drive? I have an 11 year old that I hope will be a big help. Will I need more than that at home? I do have a husband too, but he'll be working. I have already enjoyed the things I've read on this website! Thanks to all of you! I was thrilled to know you are all out there!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 10:03 AM
Hi!

Hi Jennie!
I found this site at the beginning of May and it has been a wonderful source of information and support!!!
Read everything you can!!
I am having an LAVH on June 5th and I was told I would be in the hospital 24-48 hours. Yesterday when I had my preop at the hospital they had me down for 1 day! But the nurse said it is not carved in stone.
I have 2 young boys so my mom is coming to help and my dh is here. Your son is 11 so you won't have to be lifting him - - and maybe he will be able to do alot more of the things you "shouldn't" be doing!
As far as the driving, I have seem posts from women not allowed to drive up to 4 weeks & 6 weeks. I think it all depends on the surgeon and also if they had a TAH. (lots more abdominal healing!)
You asked if you would need more help at home - if you PLAN really well and make some frozen dinners, AND REST REST REST AND let your son and dh (when he is home) do most of the things for you, you will probably be okay.
My mom had hers 9 yrs ago and she only had my dad (who went back to work after the 1st week). She did a lot of resting and walking and trained my dad very well on the vacuum (he still does it today!)
All the best!!!

Kelley

Unread 05-30-2002, 10:52 AM
The After Expectations.

Hi Jennie, I had a LAVH in March I had 4 older children a 10 year old,a 7 year old and 2 -5 year olds at home,my DH was also working and travels alot so it was me with the kids it all went well.We just made sure we had alot of inside things planned so the children would'nt get cabin fever,I also had a 2 year old fosterchild durring this time that was with friends the first tw3o weeks.My children did great helping with the daily things that needed done and understood when I had my tired times as they call them. We did buy alot of convience type groceries so cooking was'nt an issue.The driving is probably one of the toughest things we dealt with as we are a family on the go.I was released to drive after mine in two weeks each situation is different your Dr.will let you know.We did get cabin fever into the first week so we took a taxi to our mall a little pricey however the children thought this was so neat I had to laugh when the taxi pulled up and it was the same exact minivan I have,the taxi driver looked a tad puzzled however my kids were more then happy to explain that mom couldnt drive.I was in the castle for two days.I remember the high energy I felt after my surgeory then the tiredness popped in about week 3.Just remember to rest.My Mom lives out of state she had the greatest idea she sent our kids an assortment of color books paints etc and had a note for them for each day with a tip on how to help mom and Dad it was a nice idea that went well. Well I need to go you take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 04:02 PM
Hi Jennie

Each sisters experience is different, but there are some things that you do because you are healing. and but sleep is the most important during the first week. You will be putting out all the meds etc. they used during your surgery for a while so food won't taste good and I hated the taste of tea (I love tea, drank it all the time), for the first few weeks. I got my taste buds back though and everything came around. Your 11 year old will be very good for you. You need someone to reach for things, no bending, and to pick up things that weigh over 5 pounds. Please discuss all this with your DR I am sure that he will tell you all the things you need to do and not do and when you can start doing them again. God Bless and it is normal to be nervous. Just keep thinking about how good you will feel in 6-8 weeks.
Unread 05-31-2002, 06:38 AM

Jennie,

Hi! I am going in for a TVH on June 3rd and came back from my pre-op on May 28th. The DD said that I will be able to drive after 2 weeks as long as everything looks OK after my 2 week post-op. I will still have to take it easy though until my 6 week post-op.

I have 2 children at home (13 and 5) and am also hoping for help.
With you being a teacher this should be a snap for you.

Cooking: pre-cook meals. I did a lot with casseroles and sauces.(Lasagna/Enchiladas/BBQ Chicken/Parm. Chicken, Etc) I put all of these into disposable tin cooking trays and froze them. Teach you child to turn on the oven and put things into and take things out of the oven. Practice with cookies and brownies before you have you surgery and make sure and he/she is comfortable with using it. You can throw fire safety in there also. It's a great time to do some bonding. Also, with it being summer, DH can throw stuff on the grill and cook it up quickly. (Burgers, Chicken, Steak).

Cleaning: Teach your child how to use the washer/dryer/dishwasher now. If it's too much. Have him/her load these appliances and you can turn them on. Vacuuming and dusting will most likely not happen as often as you are use to but just try to turn a blind eye.

Just remember after the surgery is your time to rest up and recoup. Everything that is going on is temporary and will get better.

and

Loretta
Unread 05-31-2002, 11:48 PM

Loretta had some great suggestions. Ask your doctor about your specific restrictions. Mine was firm about very few things after my TVH. Among them:

No laundry (pulling heavy wet clothes out of the washer and bending as you put them in the dryer could do serious damage)

No vacuuming

No changing beds

No dusting

No bathtub cleaning

No vacuuming

No "heavy" cooking (I took that to mean I could heat things up)

No driving until released, which happened at 2-week checkup

No working for 2-3 weeks (she had to release me for that)

No heavy lifting. It's important to ask your doctor what he/she considers "heavy" lifting. Some say nothing heavier than a teacup - mine said I could lift things considerably heavier than that. I won't even tell you how much she said I could lift, because I would never have considered lifting that much in the weeks immediately following my TVH.

I got a container of Clorox wipes for the bathroom and the kitchen so I could easily wipe the counters - just didn't move everything off the counters like I normally would. Your son can help with lots of things, and your husband can pitch in nights and weekends. Just make sure they understand up front that the initial recovery is 6-8 weeks. You may look and feel pretty good during that time, but it's important to play by the rules because you will still be healing from major surgery. And even after the initial period is over, you will probably tire easily for some time, so they may need to just get used to helping out more.

Margaret

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register