My uterus is pre-cancerous - it's coming out! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My uterus is pre-cancerous - it's coming out! My uterus is pre-cancerous - it's coming out!

Unread 01-23-2003, 11:35 AM
My uterus is pre-cancerous - it's coming out!

Hi everyone,

I just found out yesterday that I need a hysterectomy or face a 40% chance of developing uterine cancer. I went in to have fibroids removed a week ago, but when they got in there, it was not fibroids but polyps and lots of out of control edometrium growth. So I was diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia with atypical cells, as well as adenomyosis. Has anyone else out there had this?

I made the mistake of reading the HERS websits that lists all the horrible after-effects of hyterectomy. Strangely, I have been having alot of those problems myself the last couple of years (personality change, low affect, depression). I wonder if it's because my uterus has not been really functioning right? I'm concerned that these things may get worse after it's out!

Any advice or good stories would help - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2003, 11:55 AM
I had the same pathology report

Hi. I remember being in shock when I read the pathology report after my abnormal PAP smear and then D&C to remove polyps. My Dr. called on a Friday afternoon and told me he would recommend a hyst, but at the time I was afraid of surgery and told him I thought I just wanted to keep having periodic D&Cs and ultrasounds to monitor the situation. I thought about it over the weekend and called him back on Monday and told him I decided to have the hyst and keep my ovaries. Two weeks later I went to the castle and did it. I am now 3 weeks post op from a TAH and I have had no problems with my recovery. The heavy cramping and bleeding I had lived with for so long are gone and I wonder why I did not do this sooner. I wish you the best as you make the decisions that are right for you. Barb Ann
Unread 01-23-2003, 12:01 PM

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to hystersisters. We are so glad you found us!! Yes there are a LOT of scarey sites out there. They should be ashamed. But here we offer wonderful information and support for every woman, from those considering it to those who have already had it done.

I did have endometrial hyperplasia, and had a D & C years ago for precancerous cells. But that was not the main reason for my hyster - I had excessive uterine bleeding with fibroids. There are many women here that had diagnosis same as yours and you'll get good responses. You also might want to post this on the Cancer Concerns board, there you will also gain a lot of responses.

I just wanted to wish you all the best with your upcomming surgery, and welcome you to the best little site in cyber space. Come out to chat and ask all the questions you want in "real time".

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2003, 12:09 PM

Please remember that complications and problems after hysterectomy are NOT common. I have not seen that website but I'm quite sure it's a repository for horror stories only. In the U.S. alone there are 600,000 hysterectomies each year, and only a problem with very few. Also remember that complications can occur after ANY surgery.

I can't answer your question about depression, but it's well known that there's a link between hormones and depression. And probably hormones are behind the rapid endometrial growth. The adeno is reason alone to have a hyst (usually lots of pain- and that can certainly cause depression); polyps and atypical cells another reason.

Your question about how you've been feeling emotionally and a not well functioning uterus may be true. After my hyst (kept ovaries) I no longer had PMS. Doc was somewhat surprised but speculated my uterus might have been the source of my problems all these years.
Unread 01-23-2003, 12:24 PM

Hi,

Not to worry! There are many of us out here! I was diagnosed with stage 1 endometrial cancer. The pathology report included complex atypical endometrial cells along with polyps. My surgery was 12-02-02 and I feel great. Recovery has been uneventful (except for a pulled muscle). Don't listen to the horror stories. I do not regret having the surgery at all. A good idea is to go for a second or even a third opinion just for peace of mind.

Wishing you the best...
Unread 01-23-2003, 01:55 PM
TVH due to hyerplasia

I was shocked to get a lab report of complex hyperplasia with atypism in November 2002. The doctor recommended a hysterectomy so that I wouldn't develop cancer later although she said I only had about a 20%-30% of future problems. The more I read, the more at peace I was with the idea of surgery. I had the TVH four weeks ago and am happy to report that everything has gone well. None of the terrible and painful things that I'd heard and read about have happened. The hospital staff were great. I had an epidural. There has been little pain in the hospital or at home. The feeling of pressure in the pelvic area was gone on the fourth day. There were a few twinges in the abdomen in the second week. I've been careful even though I feel like I could be doing more around the house. I rest, drink lots of water and walk everyday. I'm careful not to lift much or to stand a lot. You'll get along fine with your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register