TAH Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-28-2011, 04:53 AM
Pain

I had my TAH done, Tuesday, 08-23-2011. I just can't believe how much pain I am still in after 5 days. I thought I would be feeling much better by now. And on top of being in pain I have this AWFUL gas! Grrrr! Suggestions please! Thanks, sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2011, 05:17 AM
Re: Pain

Do you have painkillers? I underestimated what I might need and had to have my doctor give me Percocet for the first week or two so I could sleep. I also had an infection and had to take antibiotics. Then ibuprofen was enough (but in a large dose, 4 tabs for awhile).

The gas ooohhhh I remember it well. Sometimes walking around even just in the livingroom helped. And it does get better within a week or two. I had to take a special mix I found on here that helped with my poor digestion's reaction to the gas and surgery: Apple/Cinammon instant oatmeal with chopped dried prunes on top. No dairy, though! That was a doctor's order and I'm glad cuz I wouldn't have wanted it to feel worse.

It does pass (no pun intended) eventually. Hope you feel better soon.

Take good care.

Unread 08-28-2011, 05:23 AM

Sadly my only advise is time. It takes time, more time than I anticipated. I am 24 days post op and still have healing cramps, pain when I poopy and swelling in the late afternoon. Life on the recliner continues. I did have a set back the middle of second week, infection and hematoma on my cuff. My doctor said at 4 weeks is will feel human, still waiting. I had daVinci, left my ovaries to limp along;-/ The gas pains were horrible for me as well. Gas x, small meals, stool softeners, trying to roll from side to side and alternate between ice and heat on my back and tummy. Also I had my husband message my back muscles gently. Oy the gas!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2011, 07:46 AM

Time...time is what it takes...and staying on top of your pain meds! For the first 2 weeks, I took pain meds every 3 hours (alternating percoset and advil). I found as long as I was taking the pills before the pain got too bad, I made it thru! I kept them by my bed at night too (as I typically wake up about every few hours anyway).

This is a tough road! Don't give up! Each day you take care of yourself you also give you body a chance to heal! This will get you one day closer to feeling "normal!"

Hang in there and best wishes to you! I wish only for you a speedy recovery with no complications!
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:18 AM

It will get better. For me, the pain eased up after about 8 days and since then I've just been sore and haven't needed anything stronger than Advil. As others have said, stay on top of the pain by taking your painkillers on schedule. If the painkillers don't seem to be helping, maybe ask your doc for a different prescription? Gas-X every time I ate helped with the gas pains, too.
Unread 08-28-2011, 12:41 PM

GasX and stool softners helped; someone advised to take the GasX before eating. That really made a difference for me. Did go through a time that softners need assistance - then it was Milk of Magnesia - all was well after that. Mainly just dealing with soreness - some sharp pains if I overdo.
Unread 08-28-2011, 01:16 PM

Oh, I know the feeling.

I didn't start feeling "pain free" (not having to take anything for pain) until around day 8-9.

I'm still very sore & tender but I can manage without anything but still using cold packs/binder all day.

As for the gas pains...........that was worse than the incision. Gas-x & walking didn't help me at all. I just had to "take it". That lasted roughly 3-4 days.

BM's were so painful...like I was pooping nails or something. I was on stool softeners but it was so painful. I felt like I wanted to puke or pass out. I'm still having some pain at 13 days post op but not as bad.

From what I understand, the rectum sometimes has to be dissected away from the uterus so that could be the main cause of the pain. Also, the intestines, rectum & bladder just get pushed, bumped & moved around in there so the uterus can be removed which = post op pain.......

It just takes time to heal. It'll get better.

*hugs*
Unread 08-28-2011, 03:05 PM

Hang in there; you're going to feel better, but 5 days post-op is too soon to expect much. I'm 3 weeks out tomorrow, and still have soreness and swelling; taking Tylenol during the day. My chronic insomnia meds take care of nights.

Keep us posted about how it's going.
Unread 08-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Gas pains were absolutely worse than the incision. I quit taking percocet after I we'd released from the hospital and had my dr change me to lortab because percocet was constipating me. That really helped some. But as all those nerves begin to reconnect you get some other random pain as well. Other than the other tips you've gotten here time is really what helps the most. Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 08-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Pain

Thanks for the advice. Any & all is much appreciated. I am on Vicodin & of course I'm taking my Gas-x. I really didn't think the Gas -x was helping so I started taking the stoole softner colace & that has seemed to make me feel better. I have had a bowel movement every day but todays was the best. Lol seems kind of gross to talk about but maybe it will help someone else. Thanks again.

QUOTE=Margali;3561757]Do you have painkillers? I underestimated what I might need and had to have my doctor give me Percocet for the first week or two so I could sleep. I also had an infection and had to take antibiotics. Then ibuprofen was enough (but in a large dose, 4 tabs for awhile).

The gas ooohhhh I remember it well. Sometimes walking around even just in the livingroom helped. And it does get better within a week or two. I had to take a special mix I found on here that helped with my poor digestion's reaction to the gas and surgery: Apple/Cinammon instant oatmeal with chopped dried prunes on top. No dairy, though! That was a doctor's order and I'm glad cuz I wouldn't have wanted it to feel worse.

It does pass (no pun intended) eventually. Hope you feel better soon.

Take good care.

[/quote]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register