Tomoorw's the Day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tomoorw's the Day Tomoorw's the Day

Unread 06-02-2002, 06:37 AM
Tomoorw's the Day

Ok ladies tomorrow is the big day for me and all I have been doing this morning is crying. I woke up crying and everythime I think about surgery tomorrow I cry. I think what also bothers me is I had to take off my wedding rings and they have never been off before and as long as they were on I thought a part of my husband was with me (I know that sounds stupid) They said I had to have them off cause if I would swell they would have to cut them off (And I sure don't want them to be cut) Is this crying normal? They say the fear is the worse part. Spme one Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2002, 07:44 AM
Hi Rose,

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad and wanted to give you a big .

The fear you are feeling is perfectly normal, so I won't tell you not to be afraid, because that is impossible. But I will tell you that the waiting is truly the hardest part, and in a few days, you will realize that.

I'm 10-days post op today, and I woke up feeling better than I have in months - yes, months. I've been dealing with the fatigue and weakness caused by anemia from excessive bleeding since February. Today, I feel like I have more energy than I've had in a long, long time, my incision isn't hurting at all today, and I just saw a commercial for feminine products and laughed out loud! Granted, it's still too early for me to be out and about, but oh, it feels so good to feel so good again.

Just hang in there. You'll soon be "on the other side" looking back and realize how worth it everything was. Even parting with your rings for a couple of hours.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

s,

Lisa
Unread 06-02-2002, 07:51 AM
hugs to you

try to relax..i know it is hard cause it is so close....but it will be over soon and you will feel better....
your going to be a soon.... how great is that!

about the rings...it is not silly at all..i know how you feel...(naked without them)....well ... have them on a necklace for when you get out of surgery...that way you can put them right back on..even if it is not your finger...(they will be closer to your heart anyway

rest up..and relax...you have us! \
we made it you will to

jen aka bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2002, 07:56 AM
Tomoorw's the Day

First . Mine is also tomorrow, and I feel like orphan annie, I am walking around singing Tomorrow is only a day away. I have been calm up to this point, now I am nesting and cleaning everything. I am also getting a little nervous. I feel there is not enough hours to get everything done.
We will be fine

Karen
Unread 06-02-2002, 08:10 AM
VolzOkie

I know exactly what you mean about the rings. I thought that as long as I wore my rings, my husband and I would never divorce. Silly eh? Well guess what. I had to remove my rings for about 10 years. (I put on too much weight to wear them and couldn't afford to have them re-sized. When I finally could afford to re-size the rings, I found out the center diamond setting was cracked and I risked losing the stone! Still couldn't wear them!)

Well my husband and I celebrate our 30th anniversary this month, so I guess it didn't hurt that much! LOL

Anyway, we all understand your nervousness. And we are here to listen anytime.
Unread 06-02-2002, 08:35 AM
Tomoorw's the Day

Hi kids! Well, I' ve passed the 6-month mark! Feeling great! First, yes, the fear in anticipation is by far the worst! It will not be as bad as your imagination is making it. Sure, you will be uncomfortable and will have to baby yourself and NOT OVERDO and remember you are NOT superwoman! When you get the urge to jump back into your everyday activities because you THINK you should be healed, stop and think: if this was my husband/mother/sister/child/etc. who just had major surgery, would I want (whoever) to overdo? No - so be good to yourselves! You only get ONE chance to heal properly!

As far as the rings - yes, take them off! Just before my surgery, I gave mine to Hubs for safekeeping - and it was a very very good thing I did! The IV was in my hand and didn't get taken out for at least 24 hours - and my hand swelled right up - and stayed swollen for a few days after the IV came out! If I had left the rings on, they would have had to be cut off! Hubs carried them with him until I could put them back on. (We've been married almost 34 years, so even with the rings off, I have the permanent "ring around the finger", lol.)

Good luck and God bless you all on your big day tomorrow. I've very very glad I had my hysterectomy - no more problems! Yippee! Take care of yourselves! Don't overdo! Just think how great you will be feeling in a short while!

Jozzie
Unread 06-02-2002, 09:24 AM
Tomoorw's the Day

Hi Rose,

I am two weeks post op tomorrow. keep yourself busy today (and very well hydrated!!!! Drink, drink, drink). I was amazed at how nervous I was the night before and how calm I was the morning of. I almost told the A guy to forget the versed and just let me visit with my family.

Waiting was the second worst part of the surgery. The post op boredom is the worst. So spend today thinking about what you can do that doesn't take much thinking (I am just now getting to were I can concentrate enough to read), for the week or two after surgery. I got to the point that I could only lay in bed or watch just so much TV before I started pacing the floor (guess that got my walking in!!). I can't wait for my appointment tomorrow and hopefully he will let me drive so at least I can get out of the house occasionally.

Relax, I know easy for us post op princesses to say, hard for a LIW, but it will all be worth it soon!

Good luck. Let us hear from you when you feel up to it!

Caren
Unread 06-02-2002, 09:45 AM
Don't worry :)

I think the fear of the unkown is the worst part! But just keep thinking, tomorrow it will be over! It's almost been a year for me and I am SO happy my doctor and I finally made the decision to go ahead witht the total hysterectomy - I suffered with horrible endometriosis and just couldn't take it anymore! I'm only 32, so it was not an easy decision. Now I feel better than I have in years, so it's worth it. Just don't get frustrated during the recovery. Take the time to heal and let your body get used to the changes going on.

During all my surgeries, my husband took my wedding rings and wore them on his pinkie finger until I could wear them again. This made me feel better, knowing he had a part of me with him while I was in surgery and he was so worried about me!

Good luck & God bless. Let us know how everything goes!
Unread 06-02-2002, 09:50 AM
Tomoorw's the Day

I am so sorry you are so nervous. but thats quite normal.

I am now 6 weeks post-op and was just like you the days before. I really thought I was going to die in the operating theatre. I was also very concerned about waking up in really bad pain .. and also I was worried about everything really. I am a large lady so was worried about how my wound would heal as I was cut vertically down from the navel.

Anyhow, I didn't die, and after a couple of days I was up and walking. and am now home and getting better every day.

Just to mention, they told me I would be very very tired and that was an understatement. You must rest all the time during the first couple of weeks. Do NOTHING .. let your family and friends do everything. Even picking up a mug of coffee was heavy. Also, my friend told me to go to bed in the afternoon.. and then to bed again early. Its all true, the more resting, the more healing.

Today I went to the supermarket with my hub. he pushed the trolley but it was good to be doing all the normal things again.

Dont worry about your rings, they will be safe.

Just focus your thoughts on "this time next week".. and know you will be over the op and just have to get better.

Lots of luck and love and best wishes.
Rube

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register