Home Again... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home Again... Home Again...

Unread 05-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Home Again...

I am home from the castle and am glad it is over with.
I checked in on Friday the 13th, (I know) a scary day at 5:30 AM.
Went to the room where they started my IV and all other pricks and pokes. Went off to the operating room at 7:30. I hear the doctor coming due to his whistling and I was his first for the day. He was in a great mood and told me things would be fine and they would see me in the recovery room.
What was suppose to be routine, in my case never is he had to spend much more time in there than anticipated. He told my mom and hubby that the tumor was the size of a 3 month pregnancy and another one the size of a golf ball both being on the outer side of the uterus. The stalk of the tumor was attached to several different organs and he had to cut and cut and cut just to get it all released before he could even remove the tumors or the uterus. Took a little over 2 hours. I was in the recovery room 3 hours. I slept the rest of the day. I couldn't keep my eyes open.

He had prodicted my going home would be Monday due to the extra he had to do but on Sunday morning out of the five women on go for going home I was number 1. he couldn't believe it.
First night sucked...no sleep, coming in and out emptying the cathater checking vitals, turning you, I was ringing wet with sweat etc. All the pillows I took made me hot. We kept the room at 65. They took the catheter out at 6:00 that morning. About 8:30 am I went on my own. Yeah!!!
Second Day- Very antious and agitaded felt very nervous and wanted to scream. My room private room was very small and coming off the meds took a toll. They took the IV out a little after noon on the second day because I was eating a liquid diet and all seemed to be okay.
Slept great Saturday night woke up one time and had to go to the bathroom and got meds and went back to sleep.
Got up at 6:00 Am walked to the nurses station to ask if someone could help me with a shower. My mom was with me the entire time and she is still sleeping at this point.
Got my shower, washed my hair, put on a clean gown and waited for them to come and take out my staples.
Called hubby and he came to get us.
I did have a weak moment at this time during the going home dos and don'ts. I started to cry. It seemed so overwelming and I lost it. The nurse said that I would be fine. I hated to touch my incision area and the thoughts of washing it and keeping it dry made me nervous.

At home: Much better. I took my pain medication at 9:15 went to bed at 11:00 and selpt until 5:15 without any meds. I was really stiff and it was hard to get up but when I did I was fine.
I stayed up about 45 minutes, took meds, and ate some chedder gold fish and went back to bed and slept until 9:00.
My mom slept with me and she didn't even know when I got up.
I took my shower first thing and felt so good. I could stand straight and even though it is sore I feel so good.

I layed down one time today and tried to sleep but couldn't. But I did set on the couch and watched TV and walked around the house.

I hope tonight I sleep all night. If not, I am still glad at the point I am at at this time of Post Op.

Hope everyone else is doing as good or better than I am. If not...Hang in there and don't give up, it will get better.
I promise.

I will talk to you tomorrow.

Susie/Chunky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Home Again...

Best wishes to you, best advice I can offer is to REST, REST, REST. Sounds like you have a good support team which is so important.

You are right it does get better, it just takes the body time to heal. Don't get impatient.

Hang in there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register