Lotions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-16-2004, 06:44 AM
Lotions

I have a strange reaction to anesthesia in the my face and the soles of my feet actually chap. Severely dry flaky itchy skin. Under my eyelids will become red and raw.

In the past I have tried Eucerin Cream, Vasaline intense healing, and tube on tube of Chap Stick all over my face and feet. The Chap Stick seemed to work the best but was very oily and gross feeling.

Does anyone else have this? Any lotion or moisturizer out there that might work better?

Trying to get a lil more shopping in =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Lotions

Have you tried Neutrogena - I'm sure I've seen it in Canada, so perhaps also the US. It's a swedish formula cream and concentrated. Very strong and non greasy, and not perfumed. The best I have found so far.

Good luck.
Unread 06-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Lotions

Neutrogena is a great product - it seems pricey when you look at the cost at the store, but it really does last a LONG time.

Living in New Mexico, I deal with dry skin all the time, not just during my recovery. I drink TONS of water every day, so it really is the dry air here that gets me.

I recently got a Suave product called Skin Silkening Body Oil. It's sesame oil based, just like the expensive Neutrogena Body Oil, but about 1/3 the cost. I just open the shower curtain, reach for this bottle and start spreading it on. Then you can either pat dry or allow yourself to air dry while the oil soaks in. It's softened up my knees and elbows which are just plain crusty with dry skin if I don't stay on top of their condition. And, now that my incision is healed, it helps keep the surface skin from itching - I was careful not to get the oil near my incision until I was sure it was healed over. Plus, while I'm still walking, walking, walking I'm losing more weight (YAY!!!) and the oil is helping my former stretch marks shrink and heal as my tummy gets smaller (YAY again!).

The oil does not feel greasy on the skin once it absorbs in, and it only takes about 5 minutes to put it on and soak in.

Another good product line to look into is Nivea - at your local drug store or Walmart you may be able to pick up a little sample tin of it for under a dollar to see if you like how it feels. My DH uses Nivea on his feet because he feels silly oiling them and Nivea in the tin is more of a cream than a lotion.

If you're really just in the mood for a great shopping trip, try going to a big department store like Dillard's or Macy's and hit their cosmetics counters - make the girls behind the counter sample you some of the different products to rub into your arm and see how they feel after a few minutes. You may smell like a ---house when you're done but it will be fun being waited on while you make a choice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Lotions

LOL

A little department store pampering may just be in order...might start stacking up those nurse bribes now....
Unread 06-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Lotions

make sure the products you buy are petroleum-free if you plan on using them in the hospital..they will react to oxygen (most people are on oxygen for atleast the first few hours after surgery).
Unread 06-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Lotions

This may be totally off the wall, but is it possible to ward off the reaction you describe with an antihistimine like Benedryl? I only ask because the flaky, itchy eyelid thing sounds like me with some meds, but a little Benedryl keeps it from happening to me in the first place.

If this is NOT your problem, have you tried Nutraderm Therapeutic Lotion? Or Aquaphilic dry skin ointment? Albolene make-up remover is also great moisture around the eyes.

I thought Eucerin cream would fix anything! I'm sorry you have such a hard time with this.

Inaminit
Unread 06-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Lotions

Thanks =)

Have you ever noticed how many syringes the Anesthesiologist has loaded to put you out? One of those is probably an allergen although I may never know which one. I will ask for benadryl though it cant hurt.

Thanks I am going to try everything this time.

Amy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register