Temperature going up and down? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Temperature going up and down? Temperature going up and down?

Unread 12-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Temperature going up and down?

I started getting running a fever daily my first week at home. The Dr. also told me not to worry unless it went to 101 and to take my ibuprofen. It would go up over 99 and 100 several times in the evening. When I would walk I would have pain on the left side of my abdominal incision.

About two weeks after surgery my incision leaked a lot of fluid. Went to the dr and she had to open up a small part of the incision at the bottom. The culture of the fluid showed that I had a staph infection.

I have been on two weeks of antibiotics to clear up the staph infection.

Talk to your Doctor if you are worried about the fevers or if they persist. Follow your instinct...you know if something is not right with your body. Be persistent with your Dr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 10:52 PM

I had a severe fever leaving the recovery room area. It was 104* and steady for 2 days. I was just dripping in sweat due to it. At that time, I was on IV antibiotics, so the dr thought it was hormone related. I have no idea if it was or not. I seemed to have one complication after another when I was in the hospital. It was just unbelieveable.

The following several weeks since my surgery I have had a fever ranging from 99* on up. Now, I know it can't be hormonally related because I am on hrt now. What I link it with is the infection in my incision. I asked the dr at the wound care center where I am being treated agrees. I am not on any pain meds.

All I can say is this, if something doesn't feel right, ask your dr for advice. If you are experiencing the same symptoms, then something is definitely wrong. Keep a record of your fever and any other symptoms you are having. Show it to your dr. Sometimes they need something shoved in their face to understand the situation to respond. Remember this is your body and your life, not there's.

Blessings to all during this holiday season!
Unread 12-11-2007, 11:00 AM

I haven't taken any pain meds, Tylenol, Advil, etc. since week 2 and mine still fluctuates. I even bought a new thermometer because I thought maybe the one I had was broken and that was the reason for all the fluctuations. No difference. I think I'm just weird. Last night it was 99.1 at 5 p.m. (no food or drink for hours) and by 8 p.m. it was back at 98.6 (no food or drink for a couple hours). The funny thing is my hands and feet can feel like blocks of ice and my temp is still higher than it was presurgery. I don't think my body knows what temperature it wants to be!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences, ladies. I'm not really seeing fluctuation throughout the day, just from day to day. It was a little concerning to mostly have no "fever" and then to start seeing my temperature go up. I have to say, the past 2 days, I've run into a brick wall here with my pain, too. I guess I'm just hoping that nothing more is going on.

My incision, as I said, has started to burn... and I'm noticing dark bruising that wasn't there before. When I was in the hospital and first came home, I just had a bit of greenish bruising over the area. Over the weekend, I started to develop dark purple bruising in a couple of spots around the incision... and I know that usually green-coloration bruising comes as later stage bruising. So this is new bruising that's developing for some reason. Hoping it's not the beginnings of hemotoma.
Unread 12-11-2007, 03:17 PM

If your doc's office isn't closed for the day, you might consider ringing them up. The combo of symptoms doesn't sound good to me - I had many similar issues, however they were more internal because I had a TVH, and mine didn't end well. Better to get it checked out before it becomes something difficult to reverse.

Please keep us posted, k?
d.
Unread 12-11-2007, 03:21 PM

Will do - they're already gone today, but I planned on giving them a holler tomorrow anyway. Surgery was just a week ago today - and as of tomorrow, the pain meds will be gone. They sent me home with 30 percosets, prescribed to be taken every 4 hours. Go figure!
Unread 12-11-2007, 04:18 PM

Tam- I would give the doc a call tomorrow just to be on the safe side. Esp since you are having the burning on your incision. However when my temp was up at the hospital my doc said that its where my body is healing itself. Good luck to you. I hope that everythis is OK.
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:53 PM

I had up and down slight fevers for months after my surgery. I have had several people say that is was what my body did when it was healing. That makes sense to me, because they usually came in the evening after a long day. When I got them, I would feel wiped out. I even got one or two after my 6th month mark...weird!!!

My doctor never did say that the fevers were connected to healing...I read that on this sight, and, like it said, it made sense. My doctore did say, however, that it is very normal for your fever to differ by a degree or two. If you would take your temperture anytime during your life you would see these slight fluctuations.

I hope that your fevers amount to nothing like mine did!!! But, like others have recommended, stay close to the doctor if your instincts tell you so!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register