To keep ovaries or not.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep ovaries or not.... To keep ovaries or not....

Unread 10-23-2012, 06:26 PM
To keep ovaries or not....

Having total hysterectomy with Da Vinci in16 days! Not that I'm counting down, I can not wait I'm over the pain and bleeding.I am 37 . Concerned about HRT. I told my Dr did not want to keep ovaries but now worried maybe should let her decide. My only concern with keeping them is I get cysts and when they pop they hurt, so maybe I'm over thinking and worried about HRT to make the right decision? Have appt tomorrow with a HRC medical center. Anyone ever been to one? Try to keep ovaries or not? So confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Re: To keep ovaries or not....

I kept my ovaries upon my doctor's recommendation. She said that she wouldn't remove them if they were healthy. She said that it's better to keep them and let your body produce it's own hormones. I don't have a family history of cancer so she said that I should keep them. She did remove a cyst from one and said that it shouldn't be a problem in the future.
Discuss it with your doctor. Have him go over all of the pros and cons and keep asking if need be until it is clear to you and then make the best decision for you.
((HUGS))
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:32 PM

Hello Amy

I can't tell you what to do, nor is the jury out on my decision to keep ovaries. But...

I have had ovarian cysts off and on for years, sometimes quite painful. Sometimes rupture. Often resolve on their own but still a hassle. I was sure I wanted to get rid of my ovaries along with uterus & cervix, but my doc said it is advisable to keep them for hormones which of course helps stave off menopause symptoms and supports bone density and cardiovascular health. So I said okay let's keep 'em. I am in my early 50's but still ovulating. My sisters and mother did not have menopause until age 60+.

Now I'm 10 weeks post op with a recurrence of multiple bilateral cysts And fluid in the Fallopian tubes. You can search my name to read my post about that. I may need follow up surgery to go back and take out the tubes and/or ovaries. Waiting until January to see if pain subsides.

So... I'm not sure if keeping the ovaries was a good choice for me. It is an easier surgery to leave them in, and if they are healthy there is a benefit.

Good luck making your decision. Like my doc said, we can always go take them out later but once they're gone, that's it. I guess that was why I kept mine. Ultimately you will come to the decision that's right for you. Trust your instincts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2012, 07:48 PM

Amy, I'm just a couple years older than you are. I can't relate to your cyst issue, as I've not had any problems in that regard. However given my age (my doctor's nurse called me young - that was nice! lol) my doctor felt any risks associated with keeping my ovaries would be outweighed by the benefits.

Like Wanda said, be sure to discuss your concerns and options with your doctor.
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Hi Amy. I am having my ovaries removed do to family history of cancer on both mother's and father's side. I am also 53 and have been in menopause for 1 year. Several of my friends had them left in do to recommendations from their Dr, but several with Cancer history had them removed. Just continue to research and discuss with your physician or maybe get a second opinion.
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:13 PM

I am 50 and my surgery date was moved from the 1st of November to the 16th. I am also having the total hysterectomy with Laproscopy.
I too was told by my Doctor that it was up to me weather I wanted to keep the ovaries or have them removed. I also had a cyst on an ovary that burst on me. Don't want to go thru that again! Doctor said I'm pre menopausal any ways. Having the ovaries removed will put me into surgical menopause. I Don't know what to do! Remove them or not?

I have talked to so many different women who have had hysterectomies. ( I work @ a fitness club in a community that is 50 & up.) Most of these ladies have said that I should remove the ovaries and take the hormones. They explained, why go thru another surgery if
you can avoid it. Take it all now & be done with it. You will feel like a new women!

I don't know much about hormone replacement therapy.
Heard lots of rumors! One rumor that it will age you quickly.
What is the skinny on hormones anyone?
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:22 PM

I am wondering about PMS if they are left. Right now my body is revolting. I just keep having PMS but no period. So, will they go away or at least get better?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register