Questions ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Questions ??

So my Dr has yet to explain everything that is going to happened in surgery just hysterectomy in two months by going thru my C-section scar going to be in hospital procedure . So my question is will she leave my one ovary in there as I lost one five years ago to a tubal. ,Will she take out my cervix or do I have choice? I have had a lot of pain with the cervix with intercourse and such. plus a couple of cancer scares in the past with it. if it does come out does it really mess with your sex drive ?? sorry ladies if I'm writing a book just wondering these things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Re: Questions ??

Call your dr. and directly ask these questions. I had an appt. with mine a week out and then she came and checked in with me the morning of surgery. I was going in for exploratory to see what was going on but my dr. and I agreed that the result needed to be pain free at the end of all of it. Ended up having everything removed- uterus, overies, cervix.
I was cleared for sex at 8 weeks and it was no different- except for NO pain! (My hubby couldnt tell any difference either)
Best decision I could have made!
Hang in there. It will all be okay.
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:29 PM

Hi SoCalPrincess81 to HysterSisters!

This really depends on for what you are having surgery. To be positive, ask your doctor directly. However, if she told you that you are having a "total hysterectomy" that normally means the uterus and cervix are coming out. Doctors will usually specify separately that they are removing tubes and ovaries, and that is called an oopherectomy for the ovaries and salpingo for the tubes. Here is some further information on hysterectomies.

Sex after surgery is different for everyone. But if you have had pain with intercourse before with your cervix, having it removed may increase your sex drive since intercourse will be more pleasurable.

I lost everything: uterus, cervix, tubes and ovaries. For me, sex is feels different and my orgasms are not as intense. But they are more frequent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2014, 07:33 PM

These are really questions that need to be answered by your Dr. They know your history and the reasonings behind the hysterectomy. That being said..this would be my opinion. If you have had cancer scares and pain, mostly likely will take cervix, but....in the end it's all your choice. It's your body. About the ovary..that really depends on your past history and if your having any problems with it. Don't be afraid to be your own advocate and call and ask your Dr. You really need to know these things before surgery time so you can digest things and perhaps even get a second opinion before going ahead with it all. It's a big surgery and you really need to know some of the details to make an informed final decision.

Take care and Good Luck!
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:34 PM

thank you for the response , Yes I'm going to send Email over to see about what all is going to get taking out that day. I was in shock the day told me or I would of asked all these questions
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:46 PM

Normally the cervix is removed with a hysterectomy. The cervix can be left, but that would depend on why you are having the surgery. If you have the option of leaving your ovary that might help with hormone issues. How your sex drive is affected really varies among individuals. Some feel things are better without the pain and bleeding. Others feel the effects of the hormone changes. especially if like me they also have their ovaries removed. Though with hormone replacement I'm hoping to get things back to normal. I'd see if you could schedule an appointment to talk again to your doctor. I always came with my list of questions. I'm one of those who wants all the details.
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:03 PM

I emailed my Dr for to get back with me with the list of questions as to get in to see her is a month out and I will end up going stir crazy waiting for the answers . I'm having three to four periods a month with spotting in between and a lot pain , plus with intercourse so I'm hoping that this works a little tired of having periods with no end in sight and hoping that it help with the pain during intercourse , but at same time worried about sex drive going down with removal of ovary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register