Before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Before surgery Before surgery

Unread 02-05-2003, 01:43 PM
Before surgery

My Dr Gyno said he removes the cervix. I have mixed feelings here. My husband is very grieved. I just don't know what to do? After 23 years of gynocologic problems - I need to feel well. I do not know what feeling healthy is. Also what do I expect pre op? What kind of things are neccessary? I have been told nothing and searching the web has not enlightened me. I am going to go see my regular Doc just to answer the questions my mind couldn't say last week. I was told by my Doc and the Gyno that I no longer have a choice - circumstances have forced the issue and I have to have surgery. This was only 5 days ago and though I was calm then - I am not now. Infact I feel like screaming. I do not want to be "different" orgasmically afterward. We are at a very delightful stage in our emotional and sexual intimacy - 17 years married ! This is my first time here and as I don't have support - please, I need some. Thank you ~ Lion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Before surgery

Bless your heart! I just found out yesterday that I am going to have a hyst and RSO at the end of the month. My doc also will remove the cervix. I am 29 years old and have been married for 8-1/2 years. I have suffered with the pain of endometriosis for the past 15 months and intercourse is painful for me--a tampon is painful for me! Anyway. . . I asked her about removing the cervix and she said that basically it would only not give the pesky discharge anymore. She told me that there was no point in keeping something that could eventually become diseased later on. I was concerned about shortening the vagina and she said that only radical hysterectomies that are done for cervical cancer would shorten the vagina because a portion of the vagina is removed in that case. I hope I have helped a little, at least you know that you are not alone in your search and worries. Just remember that God will take care of you and take your worries to Him. I am going to do the same. If you need someone to chat with about the upcoming hyst, let me know. I am uneasy as well!
Marni
Unread 02-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Before surgery

Hi Lion! And welcome! You've come to the right place. You should find lots of answers but mainly the support you are seeking. Everyone here knows just what you are going through. We've either been there ourselves, or are going through it right along with you.

I had my hyst 14 months ago and will be honest that initially my DH and I had some intimacy problems. They turned out to be more mental (on my part) than anything physical. It had hurt so bad prior to the surgery that it was difficult to imagine what it would be like post hyst. Plus the first few times after all that waiting and recovery were, for me, very anxious. So the more I "failed (in my mind)" the worse things got.

My husband was very patient and loving - I'm very lucky. After slowing down and just enjoying the ride, not worrying about the destination so to speak(!) we very soon got back to normal. Although it turned out to be better than normal - because there was no more pain associated with it!

Due to the problems I had, keeping the cervix wasn't an option for me. I have read where some ladies continue to have mini periods if they keep their cervix. When I read that - I was glad I didn't have a choice!

Bottom line, 23 years is a long time to suffer. You have a right to feel good - and the number of ladies that have post op problems is proportionately very small. Most say they feel better than they have in years - and they also say that sex is better than ever!

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2003, 02:10 PM
Before surgery

By the same token...

Sometimes removing the cervix WOULD leave a markedly shorter vaginal passage - often, it's not easy to tell until the surgeon is actually "in there".

With myself, I was meant to have both uterus and cervix removed....but once I was opened up, it would have taken an Olympian event (surgeon's words, not mine!) to remove my unusually elongated cervix, which would have resulted in quite a noticable shortening of the vagina. Because of my age (28 at the time) and the healthiness of the cervix, it was left in.

If it does become diseased, obviously we'll have it removed (regardless of the effects), but that's something that may or may not happen

Regardless - lots of s for your upcoming surgery and recovery
Unread 02-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Before surgery

Hi lion,

if you search PubMed for "supracervical hysterectomy," you might find some studies to reassure you. For some reason, I couldn't paste in the link here, but here is the full text of the abstract of one recent study. Basically, it seems that if your sex life was good before, it will be good after, regardless of the procedure, as long as you are patient and give yourself time to heal.

hope this helps!

J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2003 Feb;10(1):60-4 Related Articles, Links

Alteration of sexual function after classic intrafascial supracervical hysterectomy and total hysterectomy.

Kim DH, Lee YS, Lee ES.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chung-Ang University, Pil-Dong Hospital, 82-1, 2Ga, Pil-Dong, Chung-Gu, Seoul, Korea; fax 82 2 6263 2272.

Study Objective. To investigate possible advantages of classic intrafascial supracervical hysterectomy (CISH) over total hysterectomy with respect to sexual function. Design. Retrospective study (Canadian Task Force classification II-2). Setting. Department of obstetrics and gynecology at a university teaching hospital. Patients. One hundred eight women who had undergone CISH and 125 who had total hysterectomy. Intervention. A standard questionnaire sent to all 233 patients a minimum of 12 and maximum of 24 months after hysterectomy. Measurements and Main Results. Data obtained on sexual function were classified by changes (improved, no change, deteriorated) before and after hysterectomy. No significant difference was found between groups in mean time interval between surgery and first intercourse. Overall, over two-thirds of women experienced either no change or improvement in sexual function regardless of which procedure was performed, with no statistically significant differences in changes in libido, frequency of coitus, frequency of orgasm, and degree of orgasm. Conclusion. Women who underwent CISH and total hysterectomy had no statistically significant differences with regard to postoperative sexual function. (J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 10(1):60-64, 2003)
Unread 02-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Before surgery

Hi there,

I just wanted to say that I am a little more than 3 weeks post-op and everything is working as it should. We haven't actually had intercourse yet, but the feelings are still there and everything works from the outside, if you know what I mean and it is exactly as it was before my surgery. I can't tell you about the inside yet. I had my cervix removed because of abnormal paps since I was in my teens and figured if going to have some out, might as well take it all. I was worried at first too, but have to tell you that I am not worried at all anymore. If it is a matter for your health, do it. I also am glad no more periods, mini or not! I have heard and read here that usually women who had good sex lives before make the necessary changes (if there needs to be) so that they continue to have good sex lives again. Most women find that there isn't a difference for them or it gets better--no more pain. Remember...different isn't always BAD either...just different. Good luck to you!
Unread 02-05-2003, 06:36 PM
Before surgery

I am overwhelmed. After finding this site this morning - and putting up my message, I went to lay down for a bit. I cried when I came back to all you very dear hearted women who have responded. I feel so much better already. This is what I needed. WOmen who understand and KNOW what they have and are going through. I know that innumerable women have gone through hysterectomy, but when it is you - one and only time - it is very intimidating. All that I have read today has settled my soul a great deal. My husband too is feeling better after I told him what I discovered on this site. He was very grieved and not knowing how to support me. From him I need his arms about me. I thank God for finding all of you for the knowledgeable support and encouragement. My doctors can only tell me so much being men with no uterus or cervix. You are such a God-send. If you haven't seen it - check out the "Operation" poem on the prayer requests. This is a tremendous help - thanks ~Lion
Unread 02-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Before surgery

Lion,

I am SO glad you are feeling better. I remember the first time I posted right after I found the site. I had just found out about the surgery and was missing my mother terribly. She died 7 years before - she'd had a hyst at about my age, but we never really talked about it. I had never missed her more than I did at that time.

My father didn't understand, my DH as wonderful as he is couldn't. Even my sister couldn't help. Posting here on the site and having ladies reply who had also been where I was - missing a mother and being scared - just brought me to tears. This site is truely a Godsend.

Best wishes to you!

Hugs,
Unread 02-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Before surgery

Getting that diagnosis from the Doc can cause alot of emotions, I understand! Even though I already had a feeling about what needed to be done hearing those words really caused distress. I came home, took a deep breath, prayed and found this website. So many experiences to draw from, it was a real blessing. I'm having a Laprosopic Supra-Cervical leaving the cervix & ovaries. Its important to have a Doc that you can communicate with openly, mine preferred to take the ovaries but I want to try to keep them. I did lots of research and it has helped put my mind at ease. Just my humble opinion. Glad your here!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register