Getting Ready for the Castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting Ready for the Castle Getting Ready for the Castle

Unread 09-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Getting Ready for the Castle

I am having my TAH/BSO next week on the 14th and to busy myself, I packed my lil bag with my necessities. My doctor said he will be giving me a bikini cut and that I will be in the castle for about 5 days. I feel myself getting a little sad/nervous now that it's getting closer to the date. I went food shopping in three different stores. My family think I lost my mind, but I'm sane. I just ordered my "stuff" from the hystersister store, yet I am still looking for things to do. I did all my deep house cleaning - made everyone chip in. Again, family think I'm crazy. Did anyone else go through this, the restlessness? I hope I am not crazy I'm going to try to be cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2006, 09:07 PM

I'm already restless!! We're staining the house, built a shed, painted the shed, laid new flooring ... and I've got a loooong list of more to do yet! I'm on a short-notice cancellation list and could go anyday.
You're NOT CRAZY!!!
Unread 09-05-2006, 03:36 AM

Hello,
I did all the nesting and preparing to be down for a bit. Doesn't hurt and makes you feel better for having it done. You'll be glad after that you don't have those worries. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2006, 05:35 AM

I was sick with a cold the 7 days prior to my surgery so I was whipped. That being said, I still did my Spring cleaning I never did and washed most of the walls in the house.

I do love though now being home how great the walls look.

You didn't ask but I would like to offer the 2 key things I used in the Castle were chapstick and peppermint tea. The best thing I did for myself was get on my left side the 2nd day (instant, well 10 minutes, gas relief) it was painful getting there due to staples but truly made all the difference.

Julie
Unread 09-05-2006, 05:39 AM

Getting our environments in order is really important! Getting the family to pitch in was brilliant, because it prepares them for how they are going to have to continue pitching in when you are home. Getting them involved is central to your physical and emotional wellbeing. You certainly are not crazy! In fact, you are very wise. Most of us go through that nesting need. I cooked like crazy -- all my comfort foods for my recovery, frozen in proportional servings for DH and me. (I like to cook; it's therapy!)

Best wishes to you, and keep us posted!
Unread 09-05-2006, 06:28 AM

Even though I had my tah/bso over 4 years ago ( wow, time flies ), I do remember all the cleaning and straightening I did while I was waiting. I tend to be hyper when I'm worried about anything. I also used a bit of time to practice some "pre-pampering " . I went to lunch and movies with friends. Shopping for some comfy jammies, a trip to the beauty salon. I really enjoyed some nice long soaks in a tub of bubbles.

No, you don't sound crazy - in fact , you sound like you're going to be prepared I think that your family will appreciate all the food soon.

I second the chapstick for the castle. I also found some ear plugs very handy.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 09-05-2006, 06:28 AM

Hi mrsmac,
I'm having a TAH/BSO on the 14th also. I've been shopping a bit to get some things that I'll need,but haven't done much other than that and I know time is running out. I really need to get with it and do my housecleaning,etc. I think i'm in denial...I figure if I don't do those things then surgery day won't come...lol! I think it's official....I'm losing it and we've still got 9 more days to go....yikes!!!
Unread 09-05-2006, 08:23 AM

I'm with Journey803. I am having a TAV/BSO on the 13th, and I am also procrastinating about all the things I have to do. I would rather be reading a book (so I can forget the world around me). I bet next weekend I'll be scrambling to get everything accomplished. I keep dreaming alot at night, and it is always about my job. I am more prepared at work than I am at home.
Unread 09-05-2006, 08:28 AM

Good luck to all of you ladies preparing! I too busied myself with all kinds of mundane tasks to occupy my mind and cleaned the heck out of my house! Nice to come home to though! ") Mrsmac, my family too thought I was nuts hitting every (sometimes the same) grocery store in a 20 mile radius! lol

ITA with the chapstick! A lifesaver!!!!!!
Unread 09-05-2006, 01:45 PM

Thanks to everyone letting me know that I am normal. I do have the vaseline packed - lol. I learned to keep vaseline/chapstick on hand from all the previous surgerys that I had. I do have a 12 year old and I wanted to make sure that he has all his snacks, finger foods, etc for when he comes home from school starving. I too am somewhat relieved to have this done so that I can have a decent quality of life for me and my family. I see some of you have recently had your surgery and you guys are already up typing. How are you all doing? How are you feeling? Please let me know. This is making me feel a whole lot better. To all of you sisters going in this week good luck and I send you hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register