Is spotting and cramping normal 4 weeks post-op hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is spotting and cramping normal 4 weeks post-op hysterectomy? Is spotting and cramping normal 4 weeks post-op hysterectomy?

Unread 05-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Is spotting and cramping normal 4 weeks post-op hysterectomy?

I had my hysterectomy 4 weeks ago. The first 3 weeks I just had light spotting. This last week the spotting has increased somewhat and I now have mild cramps. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Re: Is spotting and cramping normal 4 weeks post-op hysterectomy?

I'll be 4 weeks Monday, I just had my post op and my surgeon said I can bleed & cramp up to 8 weeks. I wouldn't worry unless it's bright red or very heavy. Overall plz get assurance from your Dr & best wishes
Unread 05-17-2014, 07:06 AM

Thank you. That eases my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyweitz74 View Post
I'll be 4 weeks Monday, I just had my post op and my surgeon said I can bleed & cramp up to 8 weeks. I wouldn't worry unless it's bright red or very heavy. Overall plz get assurance from your Dr & best wishes
My dr said the same thing.
Unread 05-24-2014, 12:13 PM

Yes, I had cramps, almost as bad as period cramps and spotting/light bleeding for nearly 6 weeks after surgery. The spotting stopped just a few days before my 6 week post op. I still get some mild cramping (nearly 9 weeks out). The doctor told me it was normal up to 8-10 weeks but if it became like a heavy period with bright red blood, I should call or go to ER. Best wishes for healing!
Unread 05-24-2014, 05:21 PM

I had nothing apart from straight after operation, does this mean i may still get some bleeding upto 6wks? I am 3wks post-op??
Unread 05-24-2014, 07:08 PM

I had no spotting from Day 1
Unread 05-24-2014, 08:58 PM

Julieanne42
I had nothing apart from straight after operation, does this mean i may still get some bleeding upto 6wks? I am 3wks post-op??

I followed the forum for my surgery week and there seemed to be a variety of experiences. Some women never had any spotting, others spotted the whole 6-8 weeks (my experience), some didn't have any to begin with but started 3-5 weeks in. Those women who had the spotting to start a few weeks in mentioned their doctors said that it was normal to pass stitches around that time frame and so, even though they didn't have spotting to start with, it was normal. As long as the bleeding isn't bright red and as heavy as a period was the caution my doctor gave me. Best wishes!
Unread 05-24-2014, 09:11 PM

I had my hysterectomy to STOP my insane cramping, my Dr said since the muscle isn't there anymore (the uterus I guess) that I couldn't cramp anymore. Now I'm scared because my cramps were crippling
Unread 05-24-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries84 View Post
I had my hysterectomy to STOP my insane cramping, my Dr said since the muscle isn't there anymore (the uterus I guess) that I couldn't cramp anymore. Now I'm scared because my cramps were crippling
Your doctor is right. If there is any cramping (not all women experience that), it is just part of the healing process. The further away I get from my surgery date (March 26), the fewer and less painful they get. They aren't true period cramps as that part is gone, as your doctor said. It's just how the surgery soreness feels. For the first two weeks, I was really worried about what I'd gotten myself into. But nearly nine weeks out, I am feeling much better and I know that we made the right decision. Best wishes for your recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register