At the castle! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

At the castle! At the castle!

Unread 10-23-2010, 08:39 PM
At the castle!

Ladies!

I had my surgery yesterday, will be here until Tuesday I believe. I just wanted to jump on and share my experience while it is fresh in mind.

I got here at 730am and I was still getting rid of the final remnants of the bowel prep. I started to get a little worried because my stomach was still bubbling. But I just kept it moving. I was taken to a room in Ambulatory Surgery, though they knew that mine was NOT ambulatory since I was having an abdominal. Spoke to a young medical student who asked my permission to "observe" my surgery....which I had no problems with. Wasnt like she was helping lol. I think the poor girl was more nervous than I was though. I just told her my history and why I was having the surgery.

Fast forward to the happy drugs doctor lol! He came and talked to me with his nurse and explained all of that. Made sure I wasn't preggers (which would have been the next immaculate conception) and then my wonderful doctor came in. I just love her!! She put me at ease, talked to me for a bit and then they gave me a little "cocktail" before going in to the theater and wheeled me in. They strapped me down...which I really don't like but it didn't bother me this time. My doctor held my hand till I fell asleep and that was that.

I woke up in the recovery room after 4 hours of surgery, 1 and half hour in the recovery room. From what I NOW understand, my doctor had a hard time because of adhesions and she said she wanted to take her time anyway. I lost a LOT of blood and had told her that I didn't really want a transfusion so they are giving me a lot more fluids to try to bring my pressure back up now. Had gotten low as 90/50.

Other than that...im sore of course. I mean who wouldnt be with a cut under their tummy. Im uncomfortable because I can't pass the gas that I feel rumbling around in my belly for nothing. No muscles to push it out lol! But I have been walking around and peeing on my own so it's not totally terrible.

Keep the faith! My spirits are high because I know that in a few days..this too shall pass.

Im a princess!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Re: At the castle!

Yippee!! Yaaayyy!!!
Lisa, I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery!
Thanks for posting!
(((hugs))) to you!!
Unread 10-23-2010, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you're doing well. I'll keep you all in my prayers!

Princess in waiting,
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2010, 01:14 AM

Hope you have a fast recovery. I am having TVH on November 16th and you have put me at ease in the way you talked about your time at the castle. Were you able to get your BP back to normal? I hope you are not in alot of pain.. Take care of yourself and I hope to hear from ya soon.
Brina

Unread 10-24-2010, 01:29 AM

Thanks Ladies!

I feel I am recovering well. I can tell you this...take the pain meds on time even if you think you are feeling ok because the minute you dont, the pain sneaks up on you. Dont be afraid to ask for help either because that's what the nurses/aides are there for. We'll have enough time on our own at home without help, so take advantage while you are in the hospital.

I feel like the weight of the world has been taken off my shoulders!

Lisa
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:29 AM

Thanks Lisa for your post! Your descriptions have helped put my mind at ease as I am having a TAH on Nov.2 and it was good to hear from someone in my similar situation.

All positive thoughts coming your way and as you say, this too shall pass! Onward and upward from here!!

Minnie
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:50 AM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:26 AM

Lisa :Hug: I'm so glad you're doing well! Thanks for stopping in to share your story with us other princesses in waiting.

I have to agree with you - take advantage of the staff at the hospital while you're there! I'm a nursing student. lol. Trust me, they will help & want to help. Don't be a hero, just ask for the help

I think I'll take some brownies for the staff ;-)

Thanks again Lisa, hang in there!!
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:56 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like everything went great except for the loss of blood. I hope you feel better soon and have a speedy recovery. My TAH is scheduled for Jan 3rd.

Do people usually lose alot of blood when they have a Hysterectomy? That would be so scary.
Take care
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Miss Lady (Lisa),
Yipee! Glad you are doing well!
I just figured I would hop on and share my experience with all you princesses in training.
My name is Lisa and I had a TAH on January 18, 2010 so I am almost 11 months post operation. The first 6 weeks was a little uncomfortable but I was not too bad off really. I had absolutely no drainage or bleeding post operation and I pretty much resumed most of my normal activities after 6 wks. I am an avid horseback rider and i have been riding for the past 9 months or so. I have returned to work even though it is only part time with only 15 hours a week; I work retail at Kohls. I had to get a doctor's note for weight restrictions because my stomach swelled up; I was having to move heavy carts around the store since i am part of the freight team. I am really trying to find an office job since that is where my main skills are.

i just want to wish all of you luck and let you know it does get easier.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register