The, um, opposite of needing stool softeners.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The, um, opposite of needing stool softeners.... The, um, opposite of needing stool softeners....

Unread 10-28-2010, 01:24 PM
The, um, opposite of needing stool softeners....

So I'm 6 weeks post op tomorrow and perfectly healed, perfectly fine....but for the last 3 weeks, I have not had a solid BM. After surgery, I took precautionary stool softeners for about a week, but I was fine and regular, so I stopped, and I continued to be fine and regular. Then about 3 weeks ago, this runs issue started and has not stopped. And it is runs- there is ZERO bulk to it. It's basically water consistency (sorry, lots of information, I know). However, it doesn't come on with pain or urgency, it's just normal like once or twice a day like typical BM frequency.

Anyone else experience anything like this at this stage in the game? Anyone think it could be related to the hysterectomy or is it more likely to just be a bowel issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Re: The, um, opposite of needing stool softeners....

Are you eating foods that are high in liquids and low in bulk? Are you drinking lots of juices? I'd mention this to my Dr and see what s/he says.
Unread 10-28-2010, 01:40 PM

Well, I drink a lot (as in, almost a pitcher) of fresh brewed green tea a day...plus about 2 cups of coffee. I get about 20-30 grams of fiber a day, so I should be ok as far as that goes...and I've upped my protein quite a bit since I'm running again.

I hope I don't have to call my doctor. I'm so sick of doctors for awhile...lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2010, 01:46 PM

lol - I know the feeling about Drs! Fiber isn't always bulky (as I've found out the umm.. "hard" way). Lots of protein could possibly be a culprit - I've had that happen when my diet has more. Maybe try eating some extra oatmeal, breads and crackers? I found that helps me a bit when I've had what you're experiencing.
Unread 10-28-2010, 02:00 PM

Sometimes Metamucil or other similar bulk laxatives can help with that. It depends on the person. For some people it makes it worse. Others it can firm things up a bit. I don't blame you for being tired of drs. Ick.
Unread 10-28-2010, 02:22 PM

Yeah, I typically eat oatmeal for breakfast...I dunno...my body is a wonderland...not in a good way sometimes? lol!

I'm soooo afraid to try a bulk laxative right now. I know it can help some, but I have a feeling it would bloat me out. Maybe I need to eat some cheese! heehee!
Unread 10-28-2010, 02:53 PM

I had surgery last thursday, so I guess I'm in it a week. The first few days I had no movement at all, then after using senna I went, and every day now (3 days I think) I'm having cramping and the runs. So I'm concerned. But what you're describing is no cramping, so I would definitely see the doctor to follow up.

I suppose not having any cramps is probably a good sign, because that sort of thing is associated with bowel disorders.

Good luck.
Unread 10-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Hi!! I had a lot of problems post surgery. I tend to eat a very high fiber diet normally and thought post surgery I could go right back to it - and I found myself in the bathroom constantly! I way over did it - and took the stool softners for about 2 wks - I think the combo messed up my entire system. It took me awhile to get back to some kind of 'normal'. I slowly added all the fiber back. Good luck to you!!
Unread 10-28-2010, 05:47 PM

I too had that problem. Dr put me on Lomotil for a day and liquid diet. You could try Immodium for a day and see if it stops.
Unread 10-28-2010, 05:53 PM

You could have C-dif. I'd have it checked.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register