Too young for TVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Too young for TVH? Too young for TVH?

Unread 01-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Too young for TVH?

Hey everyone, i am scheduled for a hysto on jan 21, and today at my appointment my dr said he was gonna do a tah, I would much rather have a tvh because there is no scaring. My question is if i am too young to have a tvh? I have not had any kids yet, but have a wide set vagina. could someone please help? thanks so much, i love this place, all you ladies are outstanding women!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Too young for TVH?

Hi Leah!

It's my understanding that a woman's age is not the principle factor in determining whether the surgery can be done vaginally versus abdominally. Did you ask your doctor why he is planning a TAH instead of a different type of surgery? Only he could explain his reasons to you...no one here can tell you why. I was decades older than you when I had my hyst, and my doctor told me that I couldn't have a vaginal hyst because I had an enlarged uterus, have never had a baby, so he couldn't "pull it out" (as he worded it) vaginally.

Leah, if you do end up having an abdominable hyst, please remember this: I had one less than two years ago, and my scar is not even visable anymore. It went away. The most important thing about a hysterectomy is that it fixes the problem, not which type of surgery type is selected by the surgeon.

Many s to You!
Unread 01-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Too young for TVH?

As far as I know, the main factors affecting whether or not a TVH can be done are how big your uterus is and the reason for having the hysterectomy (i.e., fibroids, cancer, endometriosis, etc.).

I had my hysterectomy due to fibroids. They were not excessively large, so neither was my uterus (8 weeks size). Although I was not able to have children vaginally due to having a small pelvis, my doctor (the same one who did both c-sections) had no problem performing the TVH.

I agree with Bizet Women that you need to ask your doctor what his reasons are for planning to do it abdominally. He may have very valid reasons, or it may be that he isn't skilled in performing vaginal hysterectomies.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Too young for TVH?

Usually after having children, your uterus drops down. So a doctor may not be able to reach your uterus vaginally. That's my understanding of another reason they can't go vaginally.
Unread 01-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Too young for TVH?

S

Leah,

Did you ask him why he thinks doing it abdominally is the best way? It's possible that since your infection has progressed to this point that it's safer, with less of a chance to spread the infection by doing it this way.

Please call again, and find out his/her reasoning. And the scar fades with time, my surgery was almost three years ago and for quite a while now I've had to really look hard to see it.
Unread 01-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Too young for TVH?

Hi,
I have not had children and my doctor said he would "try" to do the surgery vaginally, but couldn't absolutely promise that it would work. As other people have said, it has more to do with the skills that your doctor has and the reason for your surgery, rather than with age or whether or not you've had kids. Since recovery from a vaginal hysterectomy is probably easier in most cases, it would be a good idea to get a second opinion or understand why your doctor is set on doing the surgery abdominally. If a doctor is not trained and experienced in doing vaginal hysterectomies, then an abdominal surgery may be "easier" for him to do. Good luck !

Barbara
Unread 01-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Too young for TVH?

Hi ((((Leah))))

As the others have mentionned, age would not really be a factor as to whether or not you qualify for a hyst. Some of the things that may influence your doctor's decision are whether or not you've given birth vaginally, the size of your uterus or the reason you're having the hyst. For instance, doctors will usually opt to do a TAH when cancer is suspected or in the case of endo.

When I booked my hyst, in September 2000, my doctor indicated that a TAH was the only option for me, due to the size of my fibroid. However, after reading about other's experience with a TVH, I asked my doctor if a TVH was a possibility for me. At first, he said no, due to the size of my uterus. However, my question must have had a bigger impact than I realized since, when he met me in the OR, he said he would attempt doing the surgery vaginally.

Based on my experience, I would say that it would be worth your while if you asked your doctor about this possibility. At the same time, you could ask him why he recommends a TAH.

Sending tons of s your way.
Unread 01-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Too young for TVH?

Also, don't forget that when he goes in vaginally, he must take your cervix. Something to think about if you wanted to keep it. Going abdominally you can choose to keep cervix.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register