5 weeks post-op and | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks post-op and 5 weeks post-op and

Unread 07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
5 weeks post-op and

I'm 5 weeks post op and i'm still exhausted. I see my Dr. again tomorrow. I hate being so tired. If i do much of anything the next day i'm so tired i can hardly function. Is anyone else like that? If so any suggesstions as to how you handle it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2006, 12:28 PM
5 weeks post-op and

I'm 5 weeks today and am so tired it's ridiculous! I'm still having a lot of pain in my abdomen, especially if I go out, then the next day I'm shooting myself and not wanting to leave my bed. I tell everyone this surgery kicked my butt! LOL I have never taken so long to recover from anything - this is my 5th abdominal surgery and it's upsetting how horrible I still feel. Wish I had some advice for you, but looks like we are in the same boat.
Unread 07-26-2006, 12:38 PM
5 weeks post-op and

Shawn sounds like we are in the same boat I had a TAH the day after you. I to have never taken this long to recover after surgery in fact i usually bounce back pretty quick. This is just awfull how tired I am and hubby think i'm just milking it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2006, 01:13 PM
5 weeks post-op and

I was just the same as you at 5 weeks..... and 6 weeks....and 7 weeks....
All I can say is listen to your bodies and rest as much as you can. I was a good girl and rested and apart from being a slow healer, I've made a good recovery and am now better than normal!( I guess normal pre-op was pretty bad).
People expect to be better by week 6 (I certainly did) but if you think of our total healing time being a year, then being a week or so behind the norm is not so bad.But I have to say I didn't feel this philosophical when I was where you are now!!!
Unread 07-26-2006, 01:18 PM
5 weeks post-op and

I am also at 5 weeks and very tired. All I did yesterday was get in the pool for 2hrs, laundry, shower, and cook supper. Today I just feel wiped out, no energy!!! My pain and discomfort is improving daily (Thank the good Lord). I just want my energy back!!!!
Unread 07-26-2006, 01:21 PM
5 weeks post-op and

I am also 5 weeks post surgery and am exhausted as well. From what I understand, this is expected and normal. Let's be real here: if we had a heart surgery we wouldn't be so hard on ourselves and those around us wouldn't either. There is a real misconception out there that a hysterectomy is a lesser degree of surgery and this is simply not true. We had a MAJOR surgery. We need time to recover and the only way to do that is to be gentle with ourselves, rest as much as we need to and disregard those little voices in our heads that say "you should be doing more". Hang in there Sisters.
Unread 07-26-2006, 01:51 PM
5 weeks post-op and

Hi ladies,

GoJessGo has it right! We've had MAJOR surgery. Each of us is different and there are different methods of the surgery so we heal at different rates but as a rule it is common and expected for us to still fatigue faster than what we previously felt was normal. We are still healing inside so we must take our cues from our own bodies and not do too much, rest when we feel the need and try to be optimist about our healing. They say here it takes a full year to FULLY heal so expect it to take a full year to feel completly healed. There is no magic number, though.

I had a TVH with BSO 11 wks ago, for the most part I feel normal now but still tire easily. My dr said at my follow-up, which was at nearly 7 wks, that I was doing VERY well and healing much faster than those who had the abdominal surgery. I didn't feel like I was healing fast so I must take his word for it. Reading posts here confirms his statements so I am grateful to have been able to have the vaginal surgery instead. Still, my insides must heal the same as everyone else's.

I have been fortunate to have lots of support at home (most of the time, they aren't saints, but pretty close!) and at work my employer has been wonderful. I know the boss would love to have me back full time and everthing be back to normal but she wants me to heal well first. This has been my first week to work all week since surgery, even so I am not working my usual hours, almost but not quite as it has turned out. I am also gratful for time off, now that I feel like doing some things! Taking it easy for so long has probably helped me heal a little faster. Keep that in mind when you feel the need to go do something. Take short cuts with house work, enlist family to help and/or take it slow. Most of us must get back to work ASAP so taking it easy at home is even more important!

Keep a postive attitude, look forward to feeling well and being healed, think about all the problems you had to deal with prior to surgery that you won't have anymore. Rest, find something to occupy your mind and maybe your hands, and relax knowing you are doing the right thing for your full recovery.

Heal well.
Unread 07-26-2006, 01:56 PM
5 weeks post-op and

Hi, ladies
Its been a while since I have posted. I hope all my fellow 6 weekers are doing ok.
I had my six week visit yesterday, and she gave me the "green light", and when she did I laughed. I told her I was soooo exhausted and I knew some exhaustion was to be expected, but I have NO ENERGY even to hold my head up, or walk to the bathroom. She told me it WAS NOT because of the Premerin( I am on the largest dose, but was called "surgical exhaustion". At first I believed her because I have followed all the rules, and have at times becomed overwhelmed. Till today! I typed in surgical exhaustion and found lots of old post regarding exhaustion, but one hit me. It might be our thyriods. I didnt know that the surgery would effect its levels, but apperently it does, and some sisters have found that they had low levels of thyroid...So I am going to have mine checked, and in the meantime I am going to go look for some over the counter meds for my thyroid. I hope this gives some of you a little light at the end of the tunnel.
I myself want so badly in my case to find a job, but havent been able to because I cant even wash my own hair, I am so weak. Good luck
Unread 07-27-2006, 10:40 AM
5 weeks post-op and

TLC thanks for the tip on the thyroid. I see my dr. this afternoon. I will be sure to ask her about this and possible getting mine checked. I still having trouble w/ the fact that i take a shower and then need a nap. This was my 8th major surgery and i've never been this tired before. I guess it is all catching up to me.
I hope everyone continues to have uneventful and restfull recoveries.
Unread 07-27-2006, 11:09 AM
5 weeks post-op and

I saw my Dr. on 6-14 and had my TAH on 6-29-06. It was kind of a "get it out NOW" deal. I had stumbled across this site a few days prior to my surgery but didn't have time to register. I have lurked around for a week or so now, and I finally registered today. I must say that I feel so much more "normal" after reading everyone's post surgical woes and victories.

After 4 weeks I am still sore, my belly swells up by the end of the day, and if I sleep for a 2 hour stretch it's a miracle. Just as many of you, I have had other surgeries, including a total thyroidectomy while being 20 weeks pregnant !! None of my other surgeries have zapped me as much as this has !!!

Thanks for being there and making me feel like I'm not alone !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register