Last ovary removed - will it ever get better? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last ovary removed - will it ever get better? Last ovary removed - will it ever get better?

Unread 06-25-2016, 11:15 PM
Last ovary removed - will it ever get better?

I recently had a second surgery to have my last ovary removed. I had a hysterectomy and ovary removed at 25 due to sever endometriosis, but they left the better ovary so I wouldn't need HRT at a young age. Well 3 years later endometriosis took over that ovary to the point it stuck to my intestine. So they removed it and now I'm on the vivell patch. It's been 3 weeks. They started me at .025 and it did nothing. So they increased it to the next dose and I feel awful still... I can't sleep I just have hot flashes. I feel like a psycho. I have my boyfriend and kids terrified of me... I just want to sleep all the time, which I'm usually hyperactivity. I been on adhd meds my whole life and do not need them now. I go back to work Monday and I work with all men. One of the few females in my field. They are all supportive guys as many of their wives went through it, but I'm only 29. I just want to be back to normal and keep up with our kiddos. Will it ever get better? Any advice is helpful none of my friends understand they are all my age and not going through it. My boyfriend thinks I'm just crazy. (Some days I think I might be lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2016, 10:09 AM
Re: Last ovary removed - will it ever get better?

When did you move to the next dose of Vivelle dot .0375? Give it at least a week to 10 days and if at that point you are still having hot flashes and sleep issues than you should go up to the .05 dose.
Are your sleep problems that you fall asleep but can't stay asleep or are you having a problem going to sleep but once you do you can stay asleep. Depending on those answers you can be low estrogen or high estrogen. Don't get too worried about these disruptions because you just had the surgery recently and your body is trying to recover and trying to adjust to no hormones when you lost the last remaining ovary. Don't get in too much of a rush to change doses or HRT's just, I know it's hard to hear, be patient. Once you find balance in your estrogen things will get better. Hang in there my friend.
Oh one other thing, are you changing the patch only every 3.5 days(this is crucial and a big mistake women make when first starting the patch change---no sooner or later) and are you switching locations? If you are using it on your abdomen then switch from right to left on each change and the same if you are using the upper buttocks area. Do not switch from front to back because the front has a lower absorption rate of 17%-25% less than the backside.
Unread 06-26-2016, 11:58 AM
Last ovary removed - will it ever get better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mst3k View Post
When did you move to the next dose of Vivelle dot .0375? Give it at least a week to 10 days and if at that point you are still having hot flashes and sleep issues than you should go up to the .05 dose.
Are your sleep problems that you fall asleep but can't stay asleep or are you having a problem going to sleep but once you do you can stay asleep. Depending on those answers you can be low estrogen or high estrogen. Don't get too worried about these disruptions because you just had the surgery recently and your body is trying to recover and trying to adjust to no hormones when you lost the last remaining ovary. Don't get in too much of a rush to change doses or HRT's just, I know it's hard to hear, be patient. Once you find balance in your estrogen things will get better. Hang in there my friend.
Oh one other thing, are you changing the patch only every 3.5 days(this is crucial and a big mistake women make when first starting the patch change---no sooner or later) and are you switching locations? If you are using it on your abdomen then switch from right to left on each change and the same if you are using the upper buttocks area. Do not switch from front to back because the front has a lower absorption rate of 17%-25% less than the backside.
It's been 7 days. So I'm sure it needs longer. It just seems like my hot flashes got worse now they are during the day where before it was just mainly nights.
I take ambien to fall asleep, but I wake up like every 2hrs to either pee or change my soaking clothes from a hot flash. I put the patch on the abdomen and alternate sides. I'll try the back side. They have me changing the patch twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturday. I guess I just need to be patient. I'm just nervous to go back to work I'm so tired and just don't feel like me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Re: Last ovary removed - will it ever get better?

I know it gets rough but have some patience and it does get better with a little time. Do you have to go back to work so quickly? Could you possibly get another week or so? It's amazing that the world thinks we are supposed to be just fine after having our ovaries removed. We may be good to go physically but emotionally(brain-wise) we still have balancing and healing to do. Out of all the organs in our body, the brain hates it worse when there is hormone change.
Just know that if you stick to a good plan on the patch you should have no big problems trying to balance. You may have to tweak the dosage a bit but it shouldn't take too much once you are close to the correct dose.
Hang in there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register