new and anxious | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new and anxious new and anxious

Unread 09-15-2007, 12:11 AM
new and anxious

Hi all,

A BIG thanks for all the wonderful women who have taken the time to post and share their stories. I have spent more time on this site the past week then I'm sure I should, but can't help myself.
I'm scheduled for hyst (vag) on 10/15 for abnormal bleeding with no known cause, should be leaving in the ovaries, not sure about the cervix, and also having bladder sling for SUI. Feeling like kind of a wimp for having this done and not just accepting my body the way it is... I'm not having nearly the problems I read others having. I have had irregular cycles for 5 years or so, periods every 24 days lasting on average 7-8 days with spotting 2-7 days prior. Tried more BCP then I can possibly remember with no lasting regularity, 2 D&C's in the past 2 years with relief for about 4-6 months then slowly returnng to my 'normal abnormal'. At 32 yrs old (37 now) my doc casually suggested hyst (amoung other things, ended up doing D&C) but I totally blew it off.. Last year my next doc gave me shorter list of options again including hyst (I think he was really leaning towards this), again I felt not ready and did another D&C. My NEWEST doc gave an even shorter list... do nothing, ablation, or hyst. I have been struggling with whether or not to do the ablation, as I have tried all other conservative options but that one, but what I have read about it does not make me feel comfortable with that choice.
Just realized how MUCH I have written, guess I just needed to let some things out, and feel like I am not the only one who has had to make this sort of decision.
Getting nervous now about the surgery, the bowel prep(!!), and what life will be like on the other side.
Well, thanks for listening... I so appreciate what this site and it's members are doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2007, 12:50 AM
new and anxious

I didn't have a lot of the problems, either, just heavy bleeding, clots, and AWFUL cramps over the past year even though I was using birth control. Apparently, I had some fast growing fibroids. I'm 48 so I didn't want to try a bunch of procedures and was ready for a hysterectomy since my fibroids wouldn't go away and were only going to grow larger. I had a TAH on 7/3/07 and didn't have complications. The surgery was painful but I had pain meds, I didn't have to do any bowel prep, life without periods has been wonderful, and I'm glad I had it done!
Unread 09-15-2007, 12:57 AM
new and anxious

Hi Java Jane
I am having a TVH, A&P repair, and something else to help keep the vagina from prolapsing too ( I forgot what that one was called) My surgery is the Monday after yours and I am anxious as well. I think I am most scared about the recovery, I just want everything to heal properly. I have read posts from so many ladies who have had a lot of complications after surgery it is kind of scary. I too appreciate the site and all the great support. I just wanted to say hello and hope you have a speedy recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2007, 04:51 AM
new and anxious

Java Jane -

I'm glad to know I'm not alone myself - I just posted the Would you do this? thread? I'm scheduled for LAVH on AOct. 8th. Scared myself - but excited too! I just found out a couple weeks ago a friends cousiin is having a total hysterectomy because they found a mass on her uterus. She was to have it yesterday! Look at it like this at least we won't have to go through that angst.
What type of procedure are you having done. I was just told to go get this enema thing from pharmacy & take before going to hospital for bowel prep? Hope I do it several hours before, don't think Husband would like it if I had accident! HA! HA! Have to laugh to keep from crying!!

We'll make it! I'll keep you in my thoughts & prayers!

TEMBEN
Unread 09-15-2007, 07:57 AM
new and anxious

Hi Ladies,
A week ago today I was having my TVH at this time. Yes the wait is the Hardest part!!!!
I was in more Pain before my procedure than afterwards.
Good luck to you all.

RT66Cruiser oxox
Unread 09-15-2007, 08:19 AM
new and anxious

Yep, the wait is the hardest part. Try to remain calm, and when you can't come on and talk to your Sisters.

Lena
Unread 09-15-2007, 09:12 AM
new and anxious

I am having a TVH at 27 and have had a hard time coming to terms with it! BIG We are all in this together!
Unread 09-15-2007, 09:36 AM
new and anxious

see next post
Unread 09-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi

Yes, it's a very hard decision! Once made, the wait really IS the hardest part. I had a TVH, kept ovaries and chose to have a spinal (vs being put to sleep). My experience was very good! I had very little pain afterward, and was home within about 20 hrs. For awhile I was weak, couldn't walk to get the mail, but my strength grew each day. I had some post-op bleeding due to having ants in my pants and over-doing, but overall my experience was very good.

4yrs later, I have not regret my decision to have the TVH at all, and am THRILLED not to have periods. I had several fibroids, one large one, and just thought that heavy bleeding and cramps that prevented me from standing up for 2 days each month, was NORMAL! DUH... My sisters all had heavy periods, so why shouldn't I?

If I had been younger at the time of surgery (44) I would possibly have had more concerns as far as my decision.

I use a touch of bi-est cream on my arm several times each week, and so far, so good. (I'm 48 now). I stopped having headaches after my surgery, also lost my huge chocolate craving (what's UP with that!).. I'm also told by my kids that I became a MUCH more mellow person.

Good luck to everyone who has an upcoming surgery. I tried to go into it expecting it to be a breeze, something I could handle and get back from quickly. My experience was very much like that, and I was a single mom of 2 boys, with 2 jobs waiting for me, and not much help from the outside.

Think positive, the mind body connection is strong!
Unread 09-15-2007, 11:40 AM
new and anxious

Kdpie..I am so sorry you have to go thru this at such a young age, my heart goes out to you. I send loving prayers to you and we certainly shall get thru this together.
Compassionate1- thanks for your story as well, I will try to be more positive too! It will be a blessing to be able to walk around, go hiking or other things like that without having the lower back pains after 10 minutes and the dragging feeling.
RT66- I am so happy you are recovering well it is definitely very good to hear, it makes me hopful that my recovery will go just as well. Thanks all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register