Total Humiliation! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Total Humiliation! Total Humiliation!

Unread 09-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Total Humiliation!

OMG Could this be worse? I'll answer that NO!

I know this is petty perhaps but I just got off the phone with the hospital.

I have to go in there with freshly washed hair and nothing in it!!! MY HAIR LOOKS CRAZY WITHOUT GEL AND SPRAY!

AND NO MAKEUP!!!- AND I HAVE TO TAKE OFF MY TOE POLISH I JUST PAID TO HAVE DONE.

This just can't be any more humiliating and stressful.

Not to mention I have been on the throne all day with this disqusting bowel prep.

Honestly I am so grouchy!
I wish this was over.

Did you girls have to do all this???
I never did hear about the hair thing.

This is too much. Thanks for being there and letting me complain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2007, 09:42 AM
laughing (with) lisalj3

It's good that you are keeping your sense of humor through this ! I was thinking of getting a pedi the day before my surgery, now i'm having 2nd thoughts, but I just might anyhow for a little relaxation !!
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Total Humiliation!

I got a pedicure but without polish...then was told toe polish would have been ok! Every hospital is different.

I can see them not wanting extra chemicals in the OR - some folks are allergic, and I don't want allergic reactions when the operation is happening!

If you have clean hair and are all showered or bathed - believe me, you'll look WAY better than many folks who go into the OR.

You'll have things to treat yourself to post-op!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Total Humiliation!

I always have a french manicure and pedicure. (I did not take it off. They can still do what they have to do, since it wasn't a dark color I thought) I actually got compliments from the nurses on my mani and pedi. As far as the make up goes , I always have dark circles under my eyes. Oh well. So I didn't wear make up for a day. Then I had many more days of no make up after that. Cuz I didn't feel like wearing it for weeks after the surgery.

Like Arly3 wrote...treat yourself after this is all over!
Good luck with your surgery!!!!
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Total Humiliation!

Aaaaw....it'll be ok....really! Is your surgery first thing in the morning? If so, nobody will see you go in anyway. And don't forget....nobody in the pre op suite has seen you before...and when you're rolled out of there....you won't see them again! :-) When you get your happy juice you won't care about any of this stuff anymore, anyway! You'll be in la la land. Just try to focus on how much better you'll feel after your recovery! I'm wishing for the best for you tomorrow....and today with the bowel prep! Hang in there!
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Total Humiliation!

I'm not thrilled about that either. My hair looks like a tumbleweed without something in it. And I'm just not me without mascara! But one good thing about it is that I'm leaving word that nobody except DH and DD can visit me. They already know what I look like at my worst and they still love me anyway!
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Total Humiliation!

I feel for ya, we're all there with you - BUT, trust me, no matter how bad you THINK you look without done hair and makeup ~ you could not possibly look worse than what I looked like after pushing hard for 4 hours and then delivering C-section - under general anesthsia Those doctors have seen much worse, believe me!! LOL! Just think of it as a chance to give your skin and hair a break from all the makeup and products!
Unread 09-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Total Humiliation!

Just an opinion regarding the pedi and mani before surgery...

I wouldn't do it...I didn't shave my legs either because I didn't want any risk of a nick to anything which would be vulnerable to infection etc. Remember, there are people who come out of hospitals with staff infections.
Unread 09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Total Humiliation!

I have mixed feelings about all this. My SIL works as an OR nurse and I have heard her complain about women coming in that haven't shaved before hand. So, I'll definitely be doing that.

She got to going one day about the way women show up for laps and said you should have your bikini line trimmed up. I told her I didn't know they had gone in vaginally for mine. She said that I was not prepared properly then. So, I asked half a dozen other people I knew had had them and NONE of them knew they had gone in vaginally also.

In that same conversation she and my other SIL told my you should paint your toenails before going to the gyno. I never ever painted mine for anything at that time.

As for the hair you won't be able to wash it for a while. Trust me, it will stay cleaner and feel less itchy w/out products in it.

I have no concern about hair or makeup but clothing bothers me. I never go braless and I don't stay in night clothes even when I am sick. I get dressed EVERY day.

Don't worry about your hair. Wear a scarf to the hospital and then they will put a cap over it anyway.

Good luck.
Unread 09-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Total Humiliation!

I agree, every hospital is different. I had my fill on Friday (acrylic nails) and my younger daughter painted my toenails the night before surgery. The hair thing was no biggie, I sprayed my bangs, and just let my long hair stay down. They make you wear that "cute" cap anyway, and that totally ruined my bangs! The nurses loved my bright pink toenails! I was never told I couldn't have fingernail or toenail polish; and everything was fine. But I agree that not having a bunch of gunk in your hair after surgery will make it fell better. I didn't blow dry or spray my bangs for a few weeks after that! Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register