Scared about pain after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared about pain after hysterectomy Scared about pain after hysterectomy

Unread 05-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Scared about pain after hysterectomy

My hyst is scheduled for June 17, and my pre-op is scheduled for June 14. Based on my prior history, I have a very high tolerance for pain meds, and am very concerned going into this surgery that no one will believe my calls for pain meds are needed (I have terrible, lifelong migraines as well and have been called a junkie by ER staff who didn't believe me.) After my last major surgery (a lumbar spinal fusion), the surgeon didn't believe my pain was as bad as it was and didn't give me adequate pain relief in or out of the hospital. The pain was horrendous and I've never felt anything else like it in my life (after having 1 child naturally and breaking my foot.) Tylenol in no way, shape or form works for me :-)

Here's my main questions: What type of pain meds did you receive in the hospital? Did you have to ask for them? What meds did you receive to go home with? Did you have any problems asking for anything stronger? Any other ideas?

My husband will be my advocate while before, during, and after my surgery. Thank you ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2016, 02:21 PM
Scared about pain after hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessleia4 View Post
Here's my main questions: What type of pain meds did you receive in the hospital? Did you have to ask for them? What meds did you receive to go home with? Did you have any problems asking for anything stronger? Any other ideas?

My husband will be my advocate while before, during, and after my surgery. Thank you ladies!
Hi there. I understand your trepidation as I don't handle pain well (immediate epidural during childbirth, migraines which go to my stomach).

First, you're out cold during surgery- enjoy the rest ! Seriously, I don't remember ordering or eating lunch or my dear Groom fixing coffee for me. I do recall posting an update on Facebook - go figure.

Second, they've got an IV running with pain meds going either during or right after surgery. I don't know what was in the IV, but I know it was narcotic. I did not have to ask for them - it was automatic, and they were more than adequate.

For home use, I received the generic of Percocet, 4 pills a day & a 6 day supply. My surgery was laparoscopic, and I'd rate my pain as a 4 on a scale of 0-10. I was fine with that dose & time frame, even getting off early. I also had a prescription-strength ibuprofen, 800mg 3x a day. Thing is most docs are going to be responsive to a patient if you feel you need a refill. Don't hesitate to call them.

Talk to your doc or hospital at your pre-op about your fears. Let your husband know the score since he'll be your advocate.
Unread 05-30-2016, 03:04 PM
Re: Scared about pain after surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussette View Post
Second, they've got an IV running with pain meds going either during or right after surgery. I don't know what was in the IV, but I know it was narcotic. I did not have to ask for them - it was automatic, and they were more than adequate.

For home use, I received the generic of Percocet, 4 pills a day & a 6 day supply. My surgery was laparoscopic, and I'd rate my pain as a 4 on a scale of 0-10. I was fine with that dose & time frame, even getting off early. I also had a prescription-strength ibuprofen, 800mg 3x a day. Thing is most docs are going to be responsive to a patient if you feel you need a refill. Don't hesitate to call them.
See, I know it's automatic that I receive some sort of pain meds after the surgery in my IV, I'm just afraid they're not going to give me enough since I have such a high tolerance for them. After my back surgery, I was on morphine and dilaudid for a month plus valium to help me relax since I was in so much pain (thank you to my pain mgmt doctor who finally got involved!) Frankly, I'm afraid my surgeon is not going to believe me and think me a junkie trying to get high, which I'm clearly not. I have to take at least 2 pills of 5-300 dosage Percocet to get any relief (I've had them before!) and ibuprofen doesn't touch anything. I know how I sound to you guys- now how do you think I sound to a doctor? I feel like I'm stuck between a rock a hard place here. Suck up the pain and not know when anything is truly wrong or have everyone think I'm some kind of addict. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2016, 03:29 PM

Oh my dear, if you are in pain, you need to say so! The doctors and nurses won't think you are a junkie if you just came out of surgery.
Very typically you will wake up with a pain pump that will deliver pain meds to you on demand. For example, my pain pump could deliver Dilaudid every 8 mins at just a simple press of my thumb. They also gave me oral meds such as Tylenol and Oxycodone at scheduled intervals. If you are in pain, you just tell the nurse and they will do everything they can to make you comfortable.

You should also be sent home with a narcotic pain reliever and suggestions for OTC meds like Tylenol and Advil. Tylenol for pain, Advil for swelling (those were my instructions). They managed my pain very nicely. Nothing can take it completely away but there are options to make you comfortable and my doctor was able to prescribe me a refill at my request.

The important thing is to be articulate about what hurts and when and having your DH as an advocate will help quite a bit. I too was freaked out about how much pain I was potentially going to be in and it all went so much better than I had hoped. Good luck!

Unread 05-30-2016, 04:14 PM

Thank you ((sarrie22)). Your reply was very helpful!!!!

I'm just nervous because this will be only my 2nd hospital stay for surgery and the first didn't go well for me pain-wise. I'm very, very nervous.
Unread 05-30-2016, 04:39 PM

I didn't catch if you are having laproscopic surgery, but I was surprised that my pain levels after my DaVinci hyst w/BSO were less than I had anticipated. I appreciated my pain pump the first 24 hours, but only needed oral pain meds for maybe 3 days after, and then did great with constant Advil after that.

I've had other surgeries and have had relatives who have had back surgeries, and although everyone is different, I believe this isn't as painful as back surgery.

I had a Uterine Artery Embolization that was much more painful than my hysterectomy. (That's a horror story for another thread!)

I hope you too will find your hysterectomy to be less painful than you anticipate.
Unread 05-30-2016, 04:50 PM

I had laparoscopic, the staff was great responding if I said I was on pain. I also had reactions to oxcodone in the past so they listened and gave me different meds. I would sip ugliest if you are really worried they won't listen to have your pain management doctor to reach out to the surgeons office and have your chart noted so they will understand your circumstances. Best wishes
Unread 05-30-2016, 05:11 PM

I had a TAH and was given Dilaudid in the recovery room. When I got to my hospital room I was given choices of Toradol, morphine, and Norco. I alternated between the Toradol and Norco every three hours. I found that the morphine did nothing for me even though I had never had anything stronger than a Moltrin 800 prior to surgery. I was sent home with Norco and Moltrin 600.
Unread 05-30-2016, 06:05 PM

(((sascha_b))), I don't know the route of hyst because I haven't had my pre-op yet. You know as much as I do on that subject!

(((WashingtonFan))), I'm not allergic to anything that I know of (and having the medical problems I have, I've tried most of the narcotic and non-narcotic pain relievers on the market that I know of!) so I don't believe having issues with the pain meds after the surgery will be a problem.
Unread 05-30-2016, 06:10 PM

I asked my doctor at my pre op what I'd was going to get to go home and I told her of my fear of being in pain and not being able to get the meds. She said she would make sure that didn't happen. I came home with 800 mg Motrin and 40 oxi. Like she told me too I took them regularly until gone. I was still in pain got 40 more weaned to one at night she filled 15 more for at night. I still have a couple of those in case I have pain upon returning to work. After that I didn't need anymore. My dr believes if you are in pain you are not recovering well because all your bodies energy is focused on the pain. If your doctor doesn't understand this i would find another. Good luck! I think you'll be fine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register