stop smoking pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stop smoking pre-op stop smoking pre-op

Unread 03-02-2004, 08:01 AM
stop smoking pre-op

I am in a smoking cessation class and today is the last day that I am smoking. I know this is good for me but it is such a part of my life and now with surgery four weeks away I am terrified I won't be able to do this.
Is there anyone out there that has done this before surgery and made it thru everything and still not smoking? I need some kind words to help me thru this. I have not even quit yet, tomorrow, and I am already freaking out.
Thanks for listening
Marilyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2004, 08:09 AM
stop smoking pre-op

I did it last year when I had surgery, and plan to do it one month before my hysterectomy (obviously, I went back to it - urgh!) I know what you mean about it being a big part of your life. But, you CAN do it. I did it with the help of the "patch" which works really great! I recommend you try that, it makes a big - no - HUGE difference!

Good luck to you and congratulations-
Lori
Unread 03-02-2004, 08:20 AM
I'm trying

I will start using the patch tomorrow and I am also on Wellbutrin, which is an anti-depresant drug. I just don't know what I will do in the mornings. Can you give me some ideas to help?
thanks so much
Marilyn
you can email me privately if you want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2004, 08:31 AM
Wellbutrin and stop smoking patch may not mix well

If your taking wellbutin and planning to use the patch to stop smoking i'd talk with your doc first. From my understanding you increase the risk of heart , blood pressure and stroke side effect by mixing them.

Tralee
Unread 03-02-2004, 11:15 AM
stop smoking pre-op

Hi Marilyn and Lori,

I had a LAVH/BSO on 1/26/04. My Dr told me emphatically that I had to stop smoking since I was going to be put on hormones. He has told me this before but for some reason, this time I listened - maybe I was ready. So, exactly a week before surgery on 1/19/04 I started wearing the patch and stopped. The patch made a HUGE difference - I just kept telling myself I could do this.

Of course, then a week later I had surgery and didn't feel so good which helped me tremendously not even think about smoking. It has now been 6 weeks since I have had a cigarette and 5 weeks since surgery. Don't get me wrong - I still think about it and am still wearing patches but I'm still smoke free. I had been smoking a pack a day for the past 15 years and prior to that had smoked off and on quitting a couple of times before and then restarting again. This time I'm determined not to start again!

I wish you both lots of luck - it's not easy - but I know if I can do it, you can too. Go get you some patches - the generic ones work just fine and are less expensive! Keep me posted - I'm here to support you both!
Unread 03-02-2004, 12:30 PM
stop smoking pre-op

I actually quit smoking twice. Once with Zyban only (Wellbuterin) and the other with just the patch. It is my understanding that you CAN safely use both, but I never needed both.

As long as you have been taking the wellbuterin for one-two weeks already - it doesn't start working till then.

If you use the patch in the morning as soon as you get up, you won't have the physical cravings - you'll just have to keep your mind occupied.

Tonight - throw away all your cigs, ashtrays, lighters, etc. Make a ceremony out of it - and your last cig just before bed. Also, you may want to have your car detailed, if you smoke in there. After a day or two, you won't believe how badly cig smoke really smells. It's amazing because a smoker (me) doesn't smell it unless you quit!

Sunflower seeds (in the shell) are pretty good too because it's an oral thing. Chew sugarless gum and try to change your routine so you don't do the things you usually do that you might associate with smoking.

Good luck and we're here if you need us!

Lori
Unread 03-02-2004, 12:39 PM
stop smoking pre-op

I am also, trying to stop moking before my surgery on 3-10...ugh, ive smoked for 15 yrs, and geez, its hard. but i think this time im determined. so maybe we can help each other. ive got a ton of hard candy, altoids, and sunflower seeds usually help me on long trips with my kids, since i dont smoke around them...wish me luck, i find myself smoking more when i think about quitting, even tho i want to so bad!!!
Unread 03-02-2004, 02:32 PM
stop smoking pre-op

WELL MY SURGERY IS TOMORROW AND I HAVEN'T QUITE YET. I AM SO STRESSED THAT I WILL HAVE TO HAVE ONE ON THE WAY TO THE HOSPITAL. rEALLY PROUD OF THE ONES WHO QUIT. I'VE TRIED OVER AND OVER AND TRIED ALL THE STUFF THEY HAVE TO HELP AND HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO. i HAVE SMOKED A PACK TODAY AND IT ONLY 3:30 PM, ANYONE KNOW HOW IT WILL EFFECT ME DURING SURGERY IN THE AM?
SUSAN
Unread 03-02-2004, 02:51 PM
stop smoking pre-op

Susan,

I can sympathize with you, girl! Man, it's tough! As stated before, I quit for one of my surgeries, but did not quit for the other.

I smoked normally the day before (and I was so ashamed of myself and worried, too) but the day of, I didn't smoke - too scared, although I really wanted one and my surgery wasn't till 1:00 PM! My BF at the time, who didn't smoke, was really annoyed with me when I got home and lit up, still half zonked from the anesthesia. I had a lap but it was some pretty intense clean up in there my doctor did and I was "out" for over an hour.

This time, I am really gonna try to quit at least the month before (ok, at least a few weeks before) because I scared myself so much that time.

I would just make sure that you tell your anesthesiologist that you are a smoker, but please do NOT smoke tomorrow. Even on the paper work I got back then, it said no eating no drinking no smoking past midnight (24 hours before).

When you're in the hospital, you probably won't want to smoke anyway because you'll be in pain and medicated. And, you'll be in an unfamiliar place where no one smokes - no temptation.

You'll be ok - but I understand your anxiety. The reasons I want to quit before is #1: health reasons while I'm "under" and #2: cravings in the hospital and can't smoke (not necessarily in that order. Pathetic, I know) - Just take care tonight. Can you take a valium before bed to relax you?
Unread 03-02-2004, 02:56 PM
What If

I admire all of you who have been able to quit - I know I can't - I've tried and tried - and I figure I'm just probably not ready - I know, as most smokers, that nagging cough that just won't go away and I am not looking forward to it being aggravated when I have my surgery. For those of us who can't/won't/don't quit, we should keep in touch and see how it goes :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register