Sc scared of waking in recovery room in pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sc scared of waking in recovery room in pain Sc scared of waking in recovery room in pain

Unread 06-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Sc scared of waking in recovery room in pain

I am so scared of waking up in pain even for a minute in the recovery room. I don't know how I will tolerate narcotics I have never ever had any and my stomach is very sensitive. I am wondering what they will do if I cant tolerate the narcotcs (morphine). Any suggestions or ideas welcomed.
thanks ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2008, 05:31 PM

You are not alone. I think everyone is scared of the pain. I know I woke up a few times in the recovery room. I remember asking for ice chips because my throat was dry. I don't remember having pain or much about the recovery room. You are still pretty out of it from the anesthesia. There are many things they can give for pain. Also most is given through the IV so it shouldn't upset your stomach. There are meds they can give to help with nausea as well. Good luck with your surgery. You will do just fine. See you on the other side.
Unread 06-20-2008, 05:39 PM

there are so many different choices for pain meds...you'll be very well taken care of. if you are uncomfortable, just let them know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2008, 06:01 PM

Hi emd 1126,

I am having surgery the same day as you. There are alot of us.
I also ive in NJ. Good luk on Tuesday!! Look forward to reading how you are doing post-op.
Unread 06-20-2008, 07:59 PM

Talk to your anesthesiologist before your surgery about your fears. There's a lot they can do to control any nausea and make sure that any pain you're feeling is well under control. From my experience, if you let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know that you're nervous or scared of something, they'll work with you to help you out. It's in no one's best interests for you to be scared and sick in the recovery room, so don't be afraid to ask for what you need.
Unread 06-21-2008, 05:45 AM

Good wishes coming your way for your surgery next week.

When I went for my pre op for my laprascopic surgery earlier this month, my anesthetist recommended taking a Dramamine 2 with a tiny sip of water right before I left the house to come to the hospital. it's the kind with some chemical that starts with a Mex.....still can't remember the name of it, but you will see it on the box. Shortly after I arrived at the hospital they gave me a Zantac for heartburn, a Reglan for nausea, and a Valium to help me relax, also with just the tiniest sip of water. I believe this helped me with the nausea. I hope to follow this same process when I go in on the 3rd but will check with everyone at my pre-ops on the 23rd, and will also be asking about the planned pain management post-op.
Unread 06-21-2008, 07:22 AM

Upon arrival to the hospital after changing and speaking to anesthesia I received...reglan, pepcid, and versed. I remember going to the OR and seeing the people in there all masked...about 10 people, and moving to another table and getting my heart monitor pads. Thats it. I woke up in my room. I dont even remember recovery. I had a dilaudid pump and im allergic to everything.....I did ok. I have such a bad tummy, even tylenol bothers me. I only used the pump a few times.
I took nothin by mouth after the iv's came out. Dumb i know......high pain tolerance.
I also had the On Q Pain Buster Ball....
My doc had never used it before. It numbed my incision with a stronger novacaine type of medicine. I think it helped me alot the 3 days i had it. You wear it in a pack on your tummy. A catheter goes in your skin by your incision and you dont feel it at all. You may wanna ask about it. Most hospitals use it, but alot of doctors dont. The website is www.askyoursurgeon.com
Unread 06-21-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd1126
I am so scared of waking up in pain even for a minute in the recovery room. I don't know how I will tolerate narcotics I have never ever had any and my stomach is very sensitive. I am wondering what they will do if I cant tolerate the narcotcs (morphine). Any suggestions or ideas welcomed.
thanks ladies
When the ansth came in he put something for nausea in my iv along with something for my nerves. I won't lie, I did wake up in pain but it only lasted a minute or so and you are still so out of it seems like it is no time and they have it under control. They didn't give me Morphine they gave me Torydol (sp?) and actually I only had one dose of Morphine when I was in the hospital.

I was worried about it as well but my worries far outweighed what actually happened.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register