Going in tommrow some last minute questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going in tommrow some last minute questions Going in tommrow some last minute questions

Unread 04-13-2003, 02:13 PM
Going in tommrow some last minute questions

I found out yesterday that I will be getting an epidural due to my asthma and was wondering how awake will I be. The A man said that he will give me something so I do not care about anything but I am curious how much will I hear and see. I am a control freak and do not think my doctor will like me asking questions and telling her what to do (HAHA). Other than that I am ready to take my vacation. Oh what about pain afterwards do they give you pain meds after with an epidural or do they let it wear off and then you ask for something. Thanks everyone for all the help and time you have spent putting my mind at ease.

Jeanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2003, 04:30 PM

Dear Jeanne:

I, too, am scheduled for surgery tomorrow - 11 am.

I am having an epidural, and was very nervous, at first. When I spoke with my anest., she told me that I would be in a "twilight sleep" - which basically means that I will feel no pain and I will not care about anything at all. I will be numb from "nipples to toes", and, in her words, "be on planet Pluto" throughout the surgery. Even though I will be totally unaware, I still may be able to answer questions, if she asks. (Okay...that is a scary thought....who knows what I might say???)

My prayers include you and all of the April 14th Princess' to be.

Love, mss
Unread 04-13-2003, 06:00 PM
My two cents:

I had my surgery over (2) years ago. I too had an epideral and was told that they would put me under, slightly. They said they couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't hear something. I didn't. When I woke up, it felt like I had been sleeping. No grogginess or anything. I had no pain because they kept the epideral in. However, the following day, when I had to get up and walk around, I felt very nauseous. They had to take it out and give me pain meds thru the IV.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it the same way!!!

I will pray for you.

Patti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2003, 06:55 PM
Thanks

Thank you for replying to me. I feel better now that I got an answer to that question. I am nosey by natuer and was worried that I would be aware of everything. Thank you again.

Jeanne
Unread 04-13-2003, 08:08 PM

Hi Jeanne, I was given a spinal and epidural because I wanted that for post op pain relief. I told the anesthesiologist that I wanted to keep the epidural in for post op pain relief. If I had not said anything I may have had a PCA pump. I know you mentioned a concern about being aware. Even if you do wake up, I just wanted you to know that I was totallly awake for my surgery, my choice even though I was given versed before going in the O.R. I never got grossed out because I couldn't see or feel anything going on with the surgery. There was a sheet in front of my face so I couldn't be nosey although I did ask to see the uterus after the nurse said it was out. I wanted to see what was causing all the trouble. You can read my story at the house "www" link below.
The sedation (no tube in throat) used with a regional is different from the sedation used for general. And with a regional, the level of sedation can be varied (light--just relaxed, medium-groggy, heavy--sleep through it all). Some sisters are even allowed to bring headsets to listen to music during surgery. Once the epidural came out the next day they put me on oral pain meds. Here are some threads for more info about an epidural. Good luck to you tomorrow.

epidural vs general
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...light=epidural

epidural or pca pump for post op pain
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...pidural+or+pca
Unread 04-14-2003, 05:22 AM
Asthma question

Hello all! I continue to be SO GLAD for this site. I go in Thursday 4/17 for an abdominal hysterectomy (taking cervix, leaving ovaries). In my telephone pre-op interview the nurse said that if I am too congested due to asthma, the anaesthesologist "won't do it". But it sounds like you had the epidural because of your asthma....so maybe that'd be an option? I hate to think I will have gotten myself through all this waiting and worry, to the hospital and then be told they can't do it... Thanks for your thoughts.
Unread 04-14-2003, 05:53 AM

boom boom
Thanks for writing. I have very bad asthma and my fear was not being in control of my breathing. I am always conjested in the morning. I asked and the A man said that sometimes when they put in the tube that it can set off your asthma and it might be better if I have an epidural. NO Tube. So I said yes. No foggy feeling from epidural. I fotgot to find out how awake I would be. You might want to see if you can have an epidural.
See ya
Blessed Be
Jeanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register