new and looking for stories post ufe with large fibroid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new and looking for stories post ufe with large fibroid new and looking for stories post ufe with large fibroid

Unread 02-22-2017, 10:34 AM
new and looking for stories post ufe with large fibroid

Hello! I have been lurking for quite some time but today finally made an appointment for ufe on 4/6/2017. I had an mri done last week that showed only one fibroid but it measures 15x8 cm. I am fairly small. 5'2" and 105 pounds so as you can imagine, the fibroid is very visible. I also have very horrible cycles- usually 2 weeks although I had one that lasted 4 at Christmas time. Merry Christmas!! with lots of clotting and heavy flow for at least 3 days. I also have low back pain, and issues with urination and defecation (ewww).
So, anyway I guess I am looking for success stories with ufe with large fibroid. I know it wont completely resolve my bulging stomach but I'm really hoping it will shrink it some and also help with other symptoms. I think this all happened so gradually that I didn't even realize how bad it was until the doctor started asking me about symptoms and telling me that what I was experiencing was not normal.
I have a friend who recently underwent hysterectomy for an 8 pounder and many other smaller ones (wow!). I'm still questioning if this is the route I should take but have this weird hang up about keeping my pieces parts.
FYI- I'm 44 and done having kids, but not ready for menopause quite yet.
Thanks for any insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Re: new and looking for stories post ufe with large fibroid

Welcome,

Scheduled for TAH on 3/23 due 7 fibroids total and 1 is large. I am 51 and had 2 myomectomies in the nineties and 2003, UFE and ablation in my forties. I am currently in menopause. Positives about all the procedures are they delayed me having a hysterectomy before menopause and having my daughter. Negative is my fibroids did not go away and grew even more after I had my daughter at 38. In other words they did not go away or shrink just basically stayed the same. Like you I am little and for the last year feeling bloated all the time, and bladder and bowel issues (tmi) all the time. When you are ready to have a hysterectomy you will know. I do believe for some of us we must try all non invasive procedure before going to the castle to have your uterus removed. Stay in touch on your journey.
Unread 02-22-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachybluebabe View Post
Welcome,

Scheduled for TAH on 3/23 due 7 fibroids total and 1 is large. I am 51 and had 2 myomectomies in the nineties and 2003, UFE and ablation in my forties. I am currently in menopause. Positives about all the procedures are they delayed me having a hysterectomy before menopause and having my daughter. Negative is my fibroids did not go away and grew even more after I had my daughter at 38. In other words they did not go away or shrink just basically stayed the same. Like you I am little and for the last year feeling bloated all the time, and bladder and bowel issues (tmi) all the time. When you are ready to have a hysterectomy you will know. I do believe for some of us we must try all non invasive procedure before going to the castle to have your uterus removed. Stay in touch on your journey.
Thank you so much for your reply. I feel like I'm putting off the inevitable but it's what I feel is right for me right now. How was your ufe for you? Any decrease in symptoms? No shrinkage? That's discouraging. Ugh. Anyway, good luck to you with your hysterectomy! I hope all goes well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2017, 04:41 PM

lostchick.... I can't even imagine how difficult it must be for you to deal with a 15cmx8cm fibroid!! I really hope our fellow sister "sisterduke" weighs in... she had a very large fibroid (I think like 9cm+) shrink over 90% and no more heavy flow. She's a great advocate for the procedure!

I've had a UAE/UFE in 2011, followed by myomectomy in 2013, followed by another UAE/UFE in 2015 at age 45 (all for recurring large/multiple fibroids). Prior to my last UAE/UFE in 2015, as measured by MRI, my fibroids at the time were 8.3 cm, 6.9 cm, and 3.2 cm.

Since the 2015 UAE/UFE, my fibroids have shrank considerably - to the point where I did not have any bladder or bowel pressure after about 6 months. Also, my periods quickly went to light/normal within a month or two, and are currently still light/normal, with max using a regular tampon changed at normal intervals.

Like you, I was urged to get a hyst, but I wanted to keep my lady parts and just get rid of the fibroids. I am a big fan of UAE/UFE as a first (and hopefully last) step. It's fast, easy, short recovery, and very low risk. I don't know why more women do not try it as it resolves the issues for like 90% of women who try it. It's the rare women who need more intervention after that. Given that you can always have a hysterectomy if needed, why not try the less invasive, less body-part-removal method first?
Unread 02-22-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostchick72 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. I feel like I'm putting off the inevitable but it's what I feel is right for me right now. How was your ufe for you? Any decrease in symptoms? No shrinkage? That's discouraging. Ugh. Anyway, good luck to you with your hysterectomy! I hope all goes well!
They did shrink a little but it stabilized them because I was not really for a hysterectomy or surgical menopause. A couple years I was bleeding like crazy so had the ablation which worked and decreased the bleeding to very light spotting and went into menopause about 2 years ago. The ablation was not a bad procedure. Pain was manageable and not off work long. Please do not have a hysterectomy until you are ready. It has taken me 3 years and 2 opinions to be ready. Stay in touch. Try the ufe and see the results.
Unread 02-22-2017, 07:56 PM

I highly recommend UAE and would urge you to get in as soon as possible! You don't want the fibroid getting bigger. It dies immediately and slowly reduces over time. My fibroid per ultrasound measured at 9cm however I think it was much bigger. Even so it has reduced by 90% and I know of others with fibroids larger than mine who have had excellent results too. I had little pain so please don't fear terrible pain as described by some. My periods were far worse. UFE is a wonderful first option (hopefully last) with an 85% success rate. Why small fibroids are not routinely embolized is beyond me because it works so great! Please don't wait and let me know if I can answer any questions.
Unread 02-23-2017, 05:56 AM

Thank you all so much! I'm feeling much better about my decision now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register