Diet for hysterectomy recovery-anything special? constipation issues? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Diet for hysterectomy recovery-anything special? constipation issues? Diet for hysterectomy recovery-anything special? constipation issues?

Unread 12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Diet for hysterectomy recovery-anything special? constipation issues?

Hi everyone, my surgery is next week and I am trying to get some of the grocery shopping done for things that I will be able to eat after I get home. What are some things I should be eating the first week after surgery? What are some things I should avoid? I am clueless to all of this, and my doctor is not helping much. Any help would be grat, thank you SO much, I am very glad to not be alone in all of this, finding this website, and all of the helpful people on it have been amazing. There have been times like this morning that I have been hysterical crying, and I just sit down and read some of the posts, and it helps me so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2008, 11:52 AM

Hi Lolli3,

I'm scheduled the day after you go. I've filled my pantry with every kind of soup imaginable (I'm told I won't be feeling like eating a lot). I've made chili and other protein-packed stuff ahead and have put them in individual containers so I can just microwave later..frozen pre-cut veggies to throw in for omelets and presliced frozen fruit for smoothies, etc since going out for fresh stuff won't be happening and will be the furthest thing from my husband's mind. Filled the pantry with nuts; dried fruit; protein and nut bars - stuff that my body is used to eating and that is easy to grab. A couple of loafs of bread in the freezer (to toast since I'm not thinking about running out to a bakery will be happening). Easily digestable stuff (dairy tends to bung you up so little of that). I have a roster of people who have offered to swing by with Starbucks as needed (whew!)...

All the best for Monday...I won't be far behind...
Cheers,
vidachic
Unread 12-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Hi Lolli

You will find that you don't have much of an appetite initially but I tried to stick to the sort of things I ate normally but in smaller portions.

Less dairy is a good idea and maybe more fresh fruit and veggies.

I had real problems with gas for weeks if I ate anything spicy, really seemed to cause me cramps and pain, so you may want to avoid that.

Hope all goes well for you

Katy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2008, 12:53 PM

After I got home from the hospital, I pretty much ate my regular diet. I avoided gas causing foods for a couple of weeks, but otherwise I ate pretty much what I wanted.

I think this helped with my recovery, but of course you have to do what is best for you at the time.

My appetite has been pretty good since about day 3 post op.
Unread 12-12-2008, 01:00 PM

I found that chicken noodle soup was the best comfort food. Also I stocked up on applesauce, canned peaches and Activia yogurt for the first couple of days. My stomach was a mess for about a week and these foods really worked for me. And don't forget the tea, lots and lots of tea.
Unread 12-12-2008, 01:40 PM

I'm almost 4 weeks post-op and I think my diet really helped me recover. I ate very healthy post-op--lots of fruit and veggies--canned veggie soup, spinach, pomegranate, walnuts, kiwi, apples, oatmeal with flax seeds, Total cereal. I also took Arnica (homeopathic remedy for inflammation), and fish oil capsules. I had no constipation and very little gas.
Unread 12-12-2008, 08:59 PM

Hi ladies, I have some experience with post-op constipation. I am 8 months out from my TVH and bladder sling, and 1 week out from having my sling removed (different story) BUT I want to stress how important a good diet is pre-and post-op to avoid or miniminse constipation. IT IS VERY REAL! (TMI)Right now I am resting after a 2 hour stuggle with the help of an enema and am halfway there. Constipation start from a combination of the meds, sluggish bowels and diet.

Talk with you doctor about post op options for managing constipation, even if you don't expect it you might be surprised. Previously I used Milk of Magnesia before it became a problem and it worked great. This week I didn't have time to go and get another bottle and am paying the price. It's been 5 days..... Better prepared than not.
Unread 12-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Dear Nicoler76
Try phsyllium caps (I hope I spelled it correctly), I found they worked very well. I would take a couple with every meal and drink lots of water. Within a day everything would start working wonderfully.
I buy them at the health food store.

Hope this helps.
Unread 12-14-2008, 01:37 PM

I had no appetite for the first 6 days but I found the one thing I could eat was oatmeal cookies. I tried to eat a lot of the canned chicken breast meat or tuna fish for the protein. It is just important to keep some food going in to get the intestines working again. I worried about the nutrition in the second week. Apple sauce & banana's were good to as I began to get my appetite back. Best wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register