What should I do? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What should I do? What should I do?

Unread 02-12-2011, 02:31 PM
What should I do?

Hi - I live in the UK and am retired. 3 yrs ago we bought a little house in Spain so we could spend time in the sun and enjoy our retirement as work (DH was abroad the last few yrs) kept us apart. Because of my health problems we haven't been able to spend much time there but I checked with my surgeon before my op and he said 3mnths post op I would be absolutely fine to go - I should be back to normal-no probs. So I booked a flight on Mar 1st 15wks p/o for a 2month stay. Now I'm scared. I still have big swelly belly, numbness, absolutley no energy, backache, on antibiotics for chest infection and generally feel crap! I can get emergency treatment in Spain(although language is a problem) But can't just get help or advice if I'm worried about anything. DH is desperate to get away and DD and family are coming at Easter. I don't know what to do. If I don't go and I'm OK well I've ruined it for everyone but if I do go and I'm not OK I've still ruined it!!
What would you do?
Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Re: What should I do?

If it was me, I think I would go. Time relaxing in the sun may be what you need. Winter in the UK from what ive seen on the news was fairly severe- (I'm in OZ.) Spain is not a third world country and *if* you needed emergency help someone somewhere would be able to translate for you. ;-) if your doc says ok, you would like to go I'd defiantly do it - try not to borrow trouble and have a lovely relaxing time! I'm quite envious as we will be skidding into winter before we know it here. ;-)
Unread 02-12-2011, 03:40 PM

Rabbit -

What a dilemma.

Since you've already had your surgery and are having issues I don't know if you could get some trip insurance where if you needed to get home it might cover some of the cost. Maybe you could check on that.

As for the swelly belly....well I had it off and on for around 4 months. Just rest if it starts up, maybe plan activities for earlier in the day and rest in the afternoon.

As for the chest infection.....what does the Dr say? Are things clearing up? If they are maybe finding a nice lounge chair somewhere in the sun might be what you need.

Talk to your Dr.

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2011, 04:16 PM

I would vote for planning to go (travel insurance is a great thought). You are still several weeks away and as long as your chest infection is cleared I would think that relaxing in the sun and warmth would be wonderful. You can certainly rest there as you need to.
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:38 PM

Of course, didn't think to suggest travel insurance - I always get it if I'm traveling by air somewhere.. Excellent suggestion :-)
Unread 02-12-2011, 07:44 PM

If you are still healing, does it matter where? At least it would be a change of scenery to go to Spain.
Unread 02-15-2011, 01:09 PM

So long as dr. approves you to travel, I think I would go. But don't make a lot of plans or over do it. Family and friends should understand that you're still recovering. Most foreign countries understand English as they know we only speak one language . If you know of someone who speaks Spanish, have them write/type up your medical history for 'just in case'. May God bless you and keep you safe.
Unread 02-15-2011, 01:25 PM

I agree as long as the dr gives the go ahead. Plus you will be with family which is always nice.
Hope you feel better soon extra hugs
Unread 02-15-2011, 02:28 PM

I would go. It's as simple as that. Get your doc to write out a script of pain pills for just in case. But as long as your cleared to go then go don't second guess it. Your family would want you there and i'm sure they understand that you just had this surgery and know that you won't be a hundred percent. You wouldn't be a downer to them at all. If you were my mom I would want you there. With that said listen to your body and know that some of your problems may go away with a change of scenery. Just take care these next few weeks and rest rest and more rest.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register