Nervous and Wondering | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous and Wondering Nervous and Wondering

Unread 12-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Nervous and Wondering

I have just joined reading this website and I appreciate and respect the strength of all the women here. I am scheduled for surgery on 1/24/05 @ 1300hrs. I am leaving my ovaries and taking out everything else, (I refer to my fibroids as "my twins") my stomach is so extended from them, I cannot see my toes without bending over...and that's a chore!! My Dr. refers to me, as "finally deciding to stop carrying around the weight of a 5.5 month). I already had a myommectamy in 1993, so here I am back on the table again. My question to anyone is...for the past 6 months I have been a "gym nut", weights, cardio, jogging at least 2 miles a day....do you think this will help me any, with the TAH, and how soon after do you think "realistically" I would be able to get back to it.

I am getting so nervous...I appreciate any and all advice.

AKJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Nervous and Wondering

Hi there,

You've come to the best place to find hyst related info and support.
You can get lots of good info and hints from the Pre Op click here and Post Op Articles click here

I had a tah/bso over 2 years ago and was put on restricted activities for 6 weeks. I stay in good shape by exercise and dancing. The amount of time for you may vary some depending on your physical shape and your dr. The best way to find out is to ask your dr. It sounds like you should be in pretty good shape

Please feel free to ask any question that you may have. The ladies here are great with sharing info, experiences and support.

s
Unread 12-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Nervous and Wondering

I've been wondering the same thing! It's great you've been working out before hand. I have too. I'm hoping to start getting into just walking (a little more every day) as soon as I feel I can. My Dr. said that's ok. Just listen to your body. If it hurts, don't do it. So, I'm gonna pace my room at first, then when I'm ready, SLOWLY go downstairs and pace my living room. Keep up the workouts, they can only help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Nervous and Wondering

Hi,

I had a TAH almost 2 years ago and I love to exercise. Cardio, weights, ab work, push-ups... I get excited by it all.
I had to take 6 weeks off from exercise, but after 6 weeks I was free to go and returned to my normal workout routines including crunches.

I was careful to take it easy and listen to my body at first, but it didn't take long to get back into the swing of things and I didn't seem to lose much ground either.

Good luck with it all.

My TAH at age 36, kept ovaries, is the best thing I have ever been able to do for myself. I can't explain how much my life has improved. I'm sad at how much life I missed living with so many female issues for so long.
Unread 12-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Nervous and Wondering

Just stopped by to say hello and best wishes

I understand the "twins" thing. Check out my siggy...... I'll be so glad when swelly belly is gone so I can enjoy my new flatter tummy!

Welcome to the sisters
Unread 12-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Nervous and Wondering

AKJ -

ABSOLUTEY working out will help you!! Everyone attributes my smooth and quick recovery to the fact that I was in shape. My doctor was very firm about walking and told me I could do it all I wanted to for the first 6 weeks. He said I could go to the gym, just use the treadmill, which I did. At 6 weeks I was cleared for all activity and added the machines back to my workouts. Like Sheri24 said, it won't take long to get back in the swing of things.

Good luck!
Lisa
Unread 12-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks Everyone

It's great hearing the positive responses, and I will definitely remember..."my sisters said listen to my body". I know that I am one to usually "push" to the limit, and as you all know, we all have learned to "endure" the aches and pains, but I will start practicing my mantra now...."stop when my body says to!!"

I Love being on this site.

AKJ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register