single incision laparoscopic hysterectomy...anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

single incision laparoscopic hysterectomy...anyone? single incision laparoscopic hysterectomy...anyone?

Unread 05-17-2010, 02:40 PM
single incision laparoscopic hysterectomy...anyone?

Hey there Sisters! I read an article earlier this year about SILS hysterectomy (single-incision laparoscopic surgery) being performed in my area; when my GYN recommended hysterectomy as a solution to my fibroid issues, I sought my second opinion from the SILS doctor featured in the article. My original doctor (who wanted to do LAVH) downplayed the SILS option as a new "fad."

Utimately, I felt peace going with the second opinion doc, who scheduled my SILS for May 24th. Has anyone else had this done -- uterus/cervix removed through single (less than 1") incision in navel? (From what I am learning, this is not the same as da Vinci robotic surgery.) Any support, tips, and guidance will be appreciated -- pre-op and post-op!

I'm 42. I have four children at home; the youngest is 7, the oldest is 14, so I'm hopeful they'll be my biggest helpers as I recover, in addition to my husband. At least they can walk the dog after school! (haha, and pick up things...right?!) My life is so busy and active, that I am hoping this surgery offers me the potential for less pain, less risks of complication, and quicker recovery. Thoughts? Am I hoping for too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Re: single incision laparoscopic hysterectomy...anyone?

Hi there! I have no knowledge of this procedure at all, so take what I say in that context!

I just had an LSH procedure, and had four incisions. I understand that there is one for the morcillator, through which the uterus is removed. One is to inject the gas, one is for the camera/light and one for the scalpel. At least that is how I understood it. So I am not clear at all how a single incision works?

I am glad you felt good about the SILS surgeon, it's important to have trust and comfort with them. Did he say how many times he has performed this procedure (don't be shy to ask, you have the right to know).

One of my incisions was through my belly button and I can't even see it. I have one on each side which are about a half inch each. And I have one just above my pelvic bone which is very bruised and I don't know yet how big it is, steristrip is still on, but I think it is abit bigger. My incision pain has been almost non-existent, it's more the gas, swelling, time leading up to the first bowel movement, and the internal trauma that comes with any hysterectomy that has been noticable.

I had surgery last Tuesday and I am now getting around pretty good - still tired lots though. And please keep in mind that everyone has a different recovery rate!

I wish you the very best with your procedure whichever way you ultimately decide to go. Get all your questions answered and have peace of mind going into surgery.

Keep us posted and ask any more questions here, and of your doctor, to do the right thing for YOU! It's all about you, don't feel any pressure from anyone else. If you need to postpone until you are more solid, do so. If you feel ready, then we will see you in recovery! Yahoooo!!
Unread 05-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Re: single incision laparoscopic hysterectomy...anyone?

wapspotapprider -

You are correct that SILS is not daVinci. SILS is a different form of laproscopic surgery.

The challenge of any laproscopic surgery is that women forget that it is still major abdominal surgery and their are organs being removed. Following the Hysterectomy Checkpoints on the site will be a good guideline for you. Recovery may go faster but if you follow those guidelines it will helop ensure that you don't overdo it.

G.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register