Surgery Scheduled & Very Scared... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Scheduled & Very Scared... Surgery Scheduled & Very Scared...

Unread 08-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Surgery Scheduled & Very Scared...

I've been lurking in the shadows since I stumbled onto this site about a month ago. I knew that the time would come when I'd have to have surgery so I began doing research. Let me first say a huge Thank You to everyone here for telling your stories and for not being afraid to ask all of your questions,because it has helped me to learn so much already. I just found out today that I'm scheduled for a TAH/BSO on Sept. 14th and I'm scared to death I'm so worried about everything from the surgery,recovery,my fiance',my kids,my job,my bills,to my household in general...ugh. My head is spinning and I don't know where to begin to prepare for this. For now I'm just going to take a deep breath and try to calm down so I can get my head on straight and let it all sink in. I'll be here often to learn from all of you and to hopefully be able to help out those who will come after me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2006, 02:17 PM

The good news is.. you have time to prepare. First of all.... remember the reason why you are having the surgery. I can tell you that I too was a nervous wreck, but 3 weeks post op.. I can honestly say, it was the best thing I ever did for myself! Make a list of all the things that you want to do before your surgery and pace yourself. You can gradually get things done and it helps to keep busy doing those things. i thought I was going to be down and out for 6 weeks and that has not been the case. I have been puttering around nicely. You will do great. Take a deep breath. You will feel so much better when it is over.
Blessings...
Bonnie
Unread 08-02-2006, 02:24 PM

Best Advice I can give is to GET REST and Take Care of yourself because No One else will. I hope you have the support of your fiance and help with the children after surgery.

I kept my nervousness and anxiety low because I put all my TRUST in my Dr's hands and everything came out perfect.

Take a lot of deep breaths, PREPARE FOR HOME, keep us posted.

Best of everything coming your way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2006, 02:28 PM

I second that, Bonnie!

And just remember - the worst part is before the surgery! I was so scared I almost backed out but fortunately my brain got the better of my nerves and once I got the hospital and talked to my doctor again and all the nurses I felt so much better! Especially since I remember chatting with them and then the next minute I remember a nurse saying "take a deep breath and wake up for me now!". It was over, just like that! First night was awful but I felt pretty good the next day and each day it gets better! I am only taking Advil now (only took it once today.. woohoo!) and am getting around just fine! Believe me - you will make it through. Just keep yourself busy the next few weeks getting everything caught up that you can - even if that means paying a few bills early, etc, so you don't have to worry about it for the first couple of weeks you are recovering. I'm sure your fiance will help you greatly!

Take care!
Unread 08-02-2006, 04:28 PM

Everything is going to be ok,it's normal to have a case of nerves and anxiety.Most all of us go through it,some day's are better than other's!But we'll be here for each other and make it through.Take care
Unread 08-02-2006, 05:12 PM

Hi, journey803,

It's normal to be scared, as surgery isn't something to be lightly considered. And as Bonnie already said, you have time to prepare, which will help you.

I had a SAH last Tuesday, was home Thursday evening, and with the exception of a few obstacles (I've learned how to use my toes to pick up things - and is that a handy trick!), no one would know I had major abdominal surgery unless I told them. Mental preparation is the key - and I, too, had my second thoughts, even though I knew I had to do this. One exercise that helped me is to write out all the things I wouldn't have to do anylonger sans uterus, and was it a long list! One of them was not worrying if my heart rate would blow out the 300 mark due to anemia...

My pain level was minimal - mostly gas! - and I stopped Perc on Friday and switched over to Motrin. That's a good thing too, as Perc and all other narcotics cause constipation, and that's not a fun place to be (Side note: if you're not a water drinker now, do start and get in the habit).

Talk to your doctor and ask what can you possible expect - regardless of how large or small a chance. I knew I'd have swelling (aka "Swelly Belly"), yet I didn't think to ask - or consider my legs blowing up. As that's a normal part of one's body fighting back against the trauma, I also had a side effect of the narcotics, which is nasty itching (Benadryl to the rescue!). Add itching (known side effect) and leg swelling (normal reaction, but also a sign of alleric reaction to meds) and I freaked.

Knowing what I know now, if I had the chance to schedule this two years ago, I would have in a heart beat (pun intended). The positives so much outweighed the negatives, and I'm looking forward to getting better and stronger each day.

Please write often and tell us how you're progressing.

Julia
Unread 08-02-2006, 05:48 PM

A huge thanks to each of you for the kind words of encouragement. The past few days haven't been very encouraging at all. First my doc says...cervix & uterus gotta go,so I ask him if I have the option of keeping my ovaries. He says...oh I'm sorry but they have to go too and then he throws in how they are also taking my appendix. I'm thinking...am I going to have anything left?? That was definitely not my idea of a fun day. I mean,I do understand his reasons and I know there's nothing more we can try to help me,but actually hearing it made it real and having an actual surgery date makes it soooo much more real. No matter how much you try to prepare yourself sometimes it just doesn't help.....for me anyway. I wasn't sure how my fiance was going to react,but I got a pleasant surprise. He's planning to take a few days vacation time to take care of me. Honestly,I figured he wouldn't want me anymore because of this. I'm happy to say that i think I'm wrong about that. I hope I'm not the only one that ever had that thought cross their minds. Take care all...I'm off to do some much needed learning about this adventure that lies ahead of me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register