poo questions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

poo questions? poo questions?

Unread 04-09-2010, 03:08 PM
poo questions?

Hi- I have a question and it may be too gross for some---- so if poo discussion bothers you- read no further!!!
I am taking miralax, benefiber, gas-x, drinking lotsa H20 and eating healthfully....I still have to strain to poo, (even though it is soft and frequent)..I had TAH, rectocele, vag. vault suspension, and mesh bladder sling 2 1/2 weeks ago....everyone warns of the dangers of straining..the damage it will cause to my repairs...but REALLY come on? poo doesnt just drop out of ya? you have to push to get it out......Heck...I have to "push" to pass gas...?.so just what is "straining?"I worry I am doing damage--but I am just not sure what I am supposed to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Re: poo questions?

You are right...it doesn't just fall out.I had aTVH/bladdersling/TVTO/A&P repairs 4 weeks ago and was told no straining as well. I did the miralax/colace/gasX and drank lots of juice and water my first 2 weeks then dropped the miralax and tried benefiber. I too have struggled with the concept of what is straining? Unless it is diarrhea you do have to push somewhat. I'm trying to keep things soft and avoid real constipation and prolonged straining i guess you could say. She didn't use mesh on the posterior repair and i want to last!! I'm not thinking the benefiber is doing too much for me.I am eating lots of fruits and veggies and keeping the water intake to probably atleast 64oz and that seems to be doing the trick. Too much fiber makes me really gassy and uncomfortable. Oh what us girls have to go through...best of luck!
Unread 04-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Im 9 days post op I have the water poos and the toots..... Both cause me pain. With both you still have to push a little.... But honest to God..... Does it have to hurt on top of being so not lady like to begin with? Sheeeesee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2010, 10:08 AM

I seem to have to poop all the time but everytime I go, it seems like just a little comes out easily and then it stops coming out. I still feel like I have to go more but I don't want to strain to try to get the rest out so I just stop. Then in 2 hours, it seems I'm running to the bathroom again and going just a little bit. I bought some benefiber this morning so I'll see if that helps.

I hope somebody chims in with a idea to help out more here.
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:29 AM

You poor things! I feel for you! my bm's started late too, the nurses gave me a huge glass of prune juice, and i was running to the bathroom every few MINUTES! that was horrible! The doctor just chuckled, he told me it would take a while to get going and to be patient, and i listened to the nurses! Ha! Served me right i guess. Good thing i was a bit high on drugs (pain killers) and found the whole thing amusing! You might want to try prune juice. it really cleaned me out!
i am also using something called Ambrotose by Mannatech, i buy the bulk powder and mix with some juice, and eat healthy, drink lots, etc. THat has made a huge difference for me, i didnt need any stool softeners, other than the stewed prunes everyday.
But, even with all this, it started pretty aweful. I had to push, which just KILLED me, and for the first few days, it was all this work for this tiny little bit. ugh. that was a horrible first week. be encouraged, this is temporary, it WILL get better. everyday, a little better. remember you are loved, and lots of women are here with you going through all this.
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Try walking a bit more. During my first 3 weeks I walked 3x day for 20 min each. At first just around the living room!

I found that walking helps to move stuff through my intestines/colon and moves both the gas and my bm's on their way. I have to think that gravity also helps.

I will say that I'm using 2-3 stool softeners/day (after meals) and that, along with a fiber enriched cereal in the morning and reasonably healthy meals is working pretty well.

I talked to the nurse a couple weeks ago and she said to stay away from starchy foods (potatoes, rice, pasta, bread) as they tend to clog things up. Sadly that would mean giving up any reason to live.

I also practice the 'Zen of Poo'. On the toilet I do deep breathing exercises and try to just relax and let all the stress (and poo) leave my body! (kinda kidding on this one, but the breathing works).
Unread 04-10-2010, 01:19 PM

im 3 weeks post -op,vertiacl abodomial,,,,,hey as long as your bowels are moving a little bit every day is a good thing,,,and yeah its a strain en it is shouldnt be,,,,, i have an organge everyday,was told citrus helps ya the natural way..bran muffins are a good healthy choice and lots of water and walking.....and yes..sit relax and deep breathing......i look so forward to the day i sit and pooo and go on my way without a second thought
Unread 04-10-2010, 01:26 PM

Girls, my doctor told me to use a stool softener and I chose chocolate Ex-lax. It worked great, stools were soft enough not to strain the muscles and hard enough not to come a running. I stopped it with no problem when my stools started to become regular. I had a abdominal hysterectomy, if it worked for me it might definitely work for others.
Unread 04-10-2010, 01:29 PM

I had problems the first 2 weeks and I found that eating Ice Cream with Choc syrup helped me go. I know it sounds funny but when I didn't eat it for 1 day I was a mess. This was great for me since I LOVE Ice Cream. I'm almost 4 weeks out and I'm pretty much back to normal. Lots of Hugs
Unread 04-10-2010, 03:32 PM

Are you taking an iron supplement? They can be trouble on the digestive system. Awhile back I learned that iron is better absorbed with OJ. AND most importantly should NOT be taken within an hour of eating dairy, eggs, wheat or caffeine--all the breakfast foods. These foods cause the iron to bind up your digestive system and reduce the absorption of the iron into the body.
I start each day with 6 oz of water, then 6 oz of OJ (fresh-NOT from concentrate, which doesn't give me heartburn like the other stuff). Then I wait an hour before I eat. I like Quaker Oat Square-lots of fiber and iron and you can nibble on it dry all day if you like.
I am also a big fan of yogurt for keeping my digestion on track. I eat a little everyday. But I avoid ones with certain sugar-substitutes that cause me gas pain.
My doc also recommended a stool softener with colace and I've taken at least one a day since my surgery.
All together, this has worked for me. Hope it helps you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register