dVH/RALH 5 weeks post hysterectomy. funky smell with brownish discharge | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks post hysterectomy. funky smell with brownish discharge 5 weeks post hysterectomy. funky smell with brownish discharge

Unread 03-08-2014, 02:31 AM
5 weeks post hysterectomy. funky smell with brownish discharge

What is that awful smell wafting from my girlie bits....bleeding had stopped long ago and would have the occasional spotting but now I've got grungy nasty purpley slime which smells like it can't possible be coming from me. Is it stiches??? I have a bit of internal pain but am following doctors order's. ...the rest of my recovery has been quite text book. So straight forward I've been asked to do an advertisement for the hospital and doctor. Finally get my Chance to be on TV and I'm talking about hysterectomy. ....Whoop whooop!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Re: 5 weeks post hysterectomy. funky smell with brownish discharge

I had LAVH Feb 4. I've had yellowish/brownish discharge every day since and some odor. Today hasn't been as bad. I've noticed when I have a sharp pain, sometimes discharge will be pinkish in color. Don't know if I'm passing stitches then or not. I don't know what the stitches look like. Anyway, I was told to expect the spotting/discharge for up to 6 weeks.
Unread 03-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Do you have any other symptoms of infection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2014, 09:49 PM

yeah, i was never told about the discharge and smell. it is so gross. i was told it is normal. as long as you are not running a fever, i think you should be ok.
Unread 03-16-2014, 02:00 PM

I am 9 days post op and thought things were going great other than having to keep the catheter in, but how can this horrible odor be normal?? Not to be too weird, but its not like a normal period odor...it's like something has died. It's nauseating to me. I shower and try to keep clean and dry, but even after stepping out of shower, it's there. I haven't had any fever, but have noticed last couple of days that I have a burning, pulling sensation down there which seems to get a little better while lying flat and not letting pain meds wear off. Anyone else have this?? Is it normal??
Unread 03-16-2014, 02:30 PM

It is not unusual to have an odor or stronger than usual smell down there while healing. For most women it seems to happen around the 10 days - 3 week mark. For me it started at about 2 weeks I think and lasted about 1.5 - 2 weeks. It wasn't a bad smell, but stronger and different than usual. I was having orangish/brownish discharge with it and was concerned I had an infection. I was checked internally by my doctor and all was well. The odor is thought to be old blood and stitches dissolving. We have to remember that we have a wound healing in a dark, damp and warm environment. I had a similar smell in my mouth while healing from my wisdom teeth extraction. If you have a foul odor, greenish discharge, fever or increased pain you should call your doctor.
What's that Smell
Unread 03-16-2014, 03:31 PM
5 weeks post hysterectomy. funky smell with brownish discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepshowin View Post
I am 9 days post op and thought things were going great other than having to keep the catheter in, but how can this horrible odor be normal?? Not to be too weird, but its not like a normal period odor...it's like something has died. It's nauseating to me. I shower and try to keep clean and dry, but even after stepping out of shower, it's there. I haven't had any fever, but have noticed last couple of days that I have a burning, pulling sensation down there which seems to get a little better while lying flat and not letting pain meds wear off. Anyone else have this?? Is it normal??
It is normal to have it. But if you think its excessive and you run, even a slight fever, ask for your doc to to blood work to see if you have an infection. I just spent three nights in the hospital, because of a couple different infections. It was terrible. Set my recovery back two weeks. If you think it smells now, if you have an infection a lot more discharge will come out and it smells terrible! I had to get up and walk one evening while I was in the hospital, the infection started to come out (sorry TMI) it was the most horrible smelling stuff. I won't go into deep detail, but it was embarrassing and I could not believe it was happening...in the hall of the hospital for everyone to see and smell!!
So, I would get it checked out. Mine was accompanied by terrible pains and a temp of 100.3.
Good luck.
((hugs))

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register