11 days and counting - Afraid of transfussion | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

11 days and counting - Afraid of transfussion 11 days and counting - Afraid of transfussion

Unread 07-23-2004, 09:17 AM
11 days and counting - Afraid of transfussion

I went to the GYN yesterday and had all my questions answered. I am not sure if I am more scared now then ever or if I being crazy. He told me due to my risk of VWD I may need to have transfussion. I cannot have my own blood ready because I do not have one and they will not allow my family to donate because of the risk that they have VWD and not determined yet. I am so scared about receiving someone elses blood. Testing is not always perfect and I would be the one to receive the bad blood and get some other disease.

Also, he confirmed that I will require a bowel prep. He said an anemia the night before and the morning before my surgery. I am schedule for 7:30 so that would be 4am. I have never done one before so I am really scared of my bodys reaction and as to how to do it correctly.

I told him that I do not want the epidural, even though I get real sick from anestesia. I have know 3 people have bad back problems after having one and I already have back problems so do not want to add to them. I have instructed the dr to give me anti-nasusa drugs. They better listen.

He also answered many of my other lingering questions........my I am still so scared of this surgery and it is only 11 days away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 11:21 AM

Nudgeit2,

I understand your fear. I have ITP. Last December I was in the Naval Hospital for surgery and the morning of surgery, just 15 minutes prior to it, they had to cancell because my platelets fell from 116,000 the night before to 64,000 the morning of. That hospital is very small and they don't have platelets there.

They released me for the weekend and I had to get a civilian dr. Well, he put me in the hospital. Nothing like going into hospital for surgery with a blood disorder!

Now for the good news, first, you are having it done vaginaly so you will be less likely to bleed.

Second, has your dr. talked to you about other options? Like plasma, or synthetic blood like used in people with religious beliefs against taking human blood?

Third, because of diseases past by transfusion, they screen so very well for that now. You have a better chance of winning the lottery and being struck by lightning while in the midst of a plane crash all in the same day, then you do by getting something from blood.

Lastly, with all of that, as hard is it is not to worry, you have bigger things to worry about. Of course, worrying about my platelets sneaks up and I have to settle myself down. I think I have a 1/2% of a chance of something going wrong in the first place. I make myself more concerned with what is more likely to happen. Like forgetting to put a pillow in my truck for the ride home, what I am going to wear out of the hospital that will give me good traction, but not so good that if I drag my feet alittle that the shoe will catch on something causing me to fall. All that stuff. Will I get the house as clean as I want it to be, what will my ds and dd do at my sisters to keep things off their minds.

I wish I could think of something magic to say to you to take your worries away but there isn't anything. I hope this helps and if you need to talk about it and vent your feelings, I am here.

Take care of yourself and best of luck to you,

k9
Unread 07-23-2004, 11:35 AM

Wow K9 kitty and you are younger then me. I am only 34 but I feel like I have been hit by mack truck so feel like 80 sometimes. Could sleep all the time I have so little blood.

Thank you for all your helpful comments. The dr did say that I have a 10% chance and that I know it is low but still get worried. Maybe it is not only the transfussion that worries me but the thought of not waking up from losing so much blood. Before I was diagnosed with this disease I almost died during childbirth because they could not get me to stop bleeding during an emergency c-section. I know now that they do know my condition and can better control the situation but mistakes and unusual things happen out of the drs control.

I also worry about all the other issues leading up to the surgery like you........gettign prepared and not feeling prepared is the hardest thing. I do not know how my DH is going to cope with having to deal with the kids by himself. Getting my hosue in order and having everything ready for myself.

Again thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 11:51 AM

Of couse the things that happened to you before are going to play a part in your fears. But you already have the answers inside of you. You said the good thing is they know now so they will be better prepared.

Can a friend bank blood for you? Are you a common blood type? Can a church do a drive amoungst people you know? You will be fine. You are young and strong and you have too much to live for. If you are fighting now, you will fight harder when you need to. You're a mother. What other choice do you have? You have to come home...

On a lighter side, I know I won't die. Because I have too many bills to pay!!!

k9
Unread 07-23-2004, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nudgeit2
Wow K9 kitty and you are younger then me. I am only 34 but I feel like I have been hit by mack truck so feel like 80 sometimes. Could sleep all the time I have so little blood.

Thank you for all your helpful comments. The dr did say that I have a 10% chance and that I know it is low but still get worried. Maybe it is not only the transfussion that worries me but the thought of not waking up from losing so much blood. Before I was diagnosed with this disease I almost died during childbirth because they could not get me to stop bleeding during an emergency c-section. I know now that they do know my condition and can better control the situation but mistakes and unusual things happen out of the drs control.

I also worry about all the other issues leading up to the surgery like you........gettign prepared and not feeling prepared is the hardest thing. I do not know how my DH is going to cope with having to deal with the kids by himself. Getting my hosue in order and having everything ready for myself.

Again thank you.
Hi there, I sent you a PM on this also............ I also almost died on the OB table delivering my twins........and one of my daughters had her tonsils out at 13 and they almost lost her. But there ARE answers to this disease and hope you've discussed them with your Dr. I wrote more in the PM

Good luck to you, and I wish you well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register