Six weeks post hysterectomy: Silver Nitrate Discharge | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Six weeks post hysterectomy: Silver Nitrate Discharge Six weeks post hysterectomy: Silver Nitrate Discharge

Unread 02-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Six weeks post hysterectomy: Silver Nitrate Discharge

Today makes 6 weeks since I had my LAVH. I had my 6 week checkup today. I have spot on my cuff that isn't healed. Dr. put some Silver Nitrate on it. Dr. said I had to wait until I didn't have anymore discharge from the silver nitrate before we could resume sexual activities. So my question is for those sisters who had silver nitrate how long did you have a discharge for from the silver nitrate?

Hugs to all my sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Re: Silver Nitrate Discharge

I had a silver nitrate treatment at five and a half weeks, and it took about five days until the discharge became negligible. However, I'm still bleeding and will probably have to have another round at my checkup.
Unread 02-26-2014, 07:04 PM

Thank you 5581532. So sorry to hear you may have to have another round of silver nitrate. Sending hugs and prayers your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2014, 08:27 PM

I had the silver nitrate at six weeks and had discharge for about 5 days as well.
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:45 PM

So far i haven't had any discharge from the silver nitrate. How soon did you get ghetto discharge?
Unread 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari2661 View Post
So far i haven't had any discharge from the silver nitrate. How soon did you get ghetto discharge?
I think by the second day. It started as silver little flakes that you would see on the toilet paper. Not a lot of discharge just light discharge over about 5 days. One treatment of silver nitrate worked. 6 months post op I started pink spotting and had two areas of granulation instead of one like the first time. So I had a little more discharge the second time but still not bad and only for about 5 days.
Unread 02-27-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octaviakay View Post
I think by the second day. It started as silver little flakes that you would see on the toilet paper. Not a lot of discharge just light discharge over about 5 days. One treatment of silver nitrate worked. 6 months post op I started pink spotting and had two areas of granulation instead of one like the first time. So I had a little more discharge the second time but still not bad and only for about 5 days.
Octaviakay, I hope you are feeling better now. Did you have any cramping with the silver nitrate? I started having the silver nitrate flakes today with very little discharge.
Unread 02-27-2014, 07:55 PM

Shari, the first time no cramping at all. It did not hurt when the silver nitrate was applied and no cramping at all. I might add that I have a very high pain tolerance. The second time I was not so lucky. Because it happened at 6 months post op the doctor warned me that it may hurt because my nerves would have regenerated. It also did not help that she cut a piece of scar tissue off before applying the silver nitrate. It hurt when she applied the silver nitrate the second time and I had cramping and a throbbing sensation that afternoon and evening but by the next day I was fine. It is not very common to have granulation at 6 months post op. Wish I would have know it would hurt I would have taken ibuprofen before I went in. Are you having cramping? Best wishes as you continue to recover.

I am feeling much better but not perfect. I have had ongoing constipation problems since three months post op and I will be a year post op on April 30. I have had so many doctors appointments and tests and all the test come back fine. So it leads me to believe I could have adhesions. But the gynecologist and gastroenterologist say I would have a bowel obstruction if I had adhesions. My family doctor disagrees saying depending on where on the colon the adhesions could be may be why I don't have pain from them. At this point he does not think we could get a surgeon to do laparoscopic surgery which would show if I had adhesions because my symptoms are not severe enough. I was showing signs of depression and started seeing a therapist three weeks ago who put me on medication for depression. She also told me that there are 100 million nerves that start in the brain and end in the gut. So that could be my problem I am so hoping she is right and this new medicine helps. I am able to go every day because of my high fiber diet, drinking lots of water and taking several laxatives daily but I still have to strain every time I go and most of the time I don't feel like I empty completely. I can't believe the amount of money I spend monthly on laxatives just so I can have a bowel movement. Of course my cocktail of laxatives is doctor approved. Hopefully someday I will feel 100% again but some days I wonder if I ever will. Sorry I have rambled on and on. My friends and family get tired of hearing me complain so I just keep it bottled up inside. So I am venting here.
Unread 02-27-2014, 08:09 PM

Octaviakay, I really appreciate your input. I have felt cramping on an off all day today. It's almost like cramps before staring your period. Maybe its my ovaries. My periods were irregular. sometimes I had two cycles a month. Since I still have my ovaries maybe that what I'm feeling. I don't think all of my stitches are gone. I feel like I'm being poke by them. Hopefully the silver nitrate will heal my cuff. I still struggle with BM's too. I'm going to try drinking coffee. It's supposed to be a natural stimulate for BM's. So sorry you having to deal with all this. Hopefully you will get better soon.
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:42 PM

almost 2 yrs, did not see anybody for 1.5 yrs but was told we have to have regular checkups still so went, had granulosis & thought the dr said it was mercury he put on. and for >24 hrs pain was really bad, still pain but not like 1st day. Could not sleep from the pain, felt like a raw sore inside, which guess it is. So reading all here "post-hyster" to see what it is. So apparently discharge for a few wks maybe, think he said that too. Was curious what this 'mercury' and/or 'silver nitrate' does so it's apparently like cauterization.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register