Swelly Belly- when does this go away? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly Belly- when does this go away? Swelly Belly- when does this go away?

Unread 01-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Swelly Belly- when does this go away?

Just curious if anyone would share their experiences with me. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2007, 08:34 AM

I've read that swelly belly can last for months after surgery. I'm sure someone else can answer this for you. I know it's uncomfortable.
Unread 01-25-2007, 11:23 AM

I would also like to know how long is the norm for "swelly belly" Will I be able to fit into my work clothes at the end of my 8 weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2007, 11:44 AM

Ugh, I'm 10 wks out and still uncomfortable in any fixed-waist pants. I'm still having to wear underwear that's one size larger than I used to wear. Plus, for some reason I have a "bubble", bulge, pocket of fat, swelling or something on my left lower abdomen that I didn't have before surgery. Granted, I didn't have a super flat stomach before, but it least it was even or symetrical. I surely hope that evens out. On top of this, I keep having this burning, tearing sensation alongside and to the right of my incision...very painful.
Unread 01-25-2007, 12:20 PM

I am about 7 1/2 weeks post op from my TAH. I have been back to work for about 2 weeks. I still have the swelly belly. It's not so bad in the morning, but by the time I get home from work it's quite a bit larger. I had to go up a size in pants because nothing fit when I returned to work. The more I do, the bigger it gets! I've heard it can take up to 6 months to go away and I am seen some sisters on here saying it has taken almost a year.
Unread 01-25-2007, 01:46 PM

I'm 8 weeks and still get the swelling by evening ... UNLESS ... I lay down flat for about 30min in the afternoon! It seems to keep it at bay and I'm wearing my regular underwear and usually yoga pants. I haven't tried my jeans yet, but plan to any day now!
Unread 01-25-2007, 03:45 PM
swelly belly - when does it go away

Hi

I'm 5 months post op now and at last the swelly belly is slowly disappearing and neither does it swell up so badly in the evenings like it used to.

I honestly thought it was there for good. I did nothing special, just got up one morning and noticed the difference. It was that sudden.

So take heart.

TAH/BSO Suspected cancer but was huge ovarian cyst.
Unread 01-31-2007, 05:55 AM

THanks so much for all the replies.

I did try a pair of jeans on and ugh! Forget it! Skirts and stretches are the only thing that go on this body.
Unread 01-31-2007, 04:52 PM

no point beating yourself up over the jeans!!wait a wee while yet!!i had TAH 5th nov and i still wouldnt dare try my jeans yet!!when i wake in the morning and see my tum when im flat,it loooks pretty normal,..that is a total different story by the time i get home from work..looks like its been pumped up!!im even out running again.i have decide to accept that it will go down in its own time.of course with gentle exercise,it will help things..but itoo have been told it can take up to a year.
Unread 01-31-2007, 09:11 PM

I tried jeans yesterday. I lasted about 2 hrs. and couldn't stand it anymore. They're not really tight, just the zipper and lack of "give" made it icky! LOL
I'll wait another week and try again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register