ewwww that smell | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ewwww that smell ewwww that smell

Unread 08-24-2008, 10:02 PM
ewwww that smell

In order to be prepared for whatever may come after surgery I've been reading quite a bit in the Post Op forums. Over there some of the women have mentioned a terrible stench a few days after surgery...what is that all about?? Is it the incision or something from within the vajayjay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2008, 10:17 PM
ewwww that smell

I think it can depend on the person, and where her incisions were.

I had a LSH/BSO, so my incision were on my tummy in several spots. The only one that smelled to me (and not horribly so. I was the only one who noticed it, and only when I had no clothes there.) was were an old c-section scar is. If I remember correctly both times I had the c-sections they also smelled just like this, as did the incisions from my gall bladder.

For me, i would say it is the smell of healing. But it really only happened in places where there was no good air circulation, and moisture could collect.
So be very careful to dry yourself well after showers.
Unread 08-24-2008, 10:42 PM
ewwww that smell

I have had two laps before, although that is not the same as the incision I will be getting for my Hyst I can tell you that if you dont dry of your incisions, they do tend to smell. I used a blowdryer on the cold position to dry them off as to not rub them with a towel. Once I figured that routine out, the smell never came back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2008, 02:03 AM
ewwww that smell

question -
I've read some of those posts, too. I've talked to a few ladies in my family who have had hysterectomies of different types and all of them said that, post-op, at some point in the first few weeks of healing, they all smelled "that smell". There have been several explanations on the Post-Op forum. None of these explanations have anything to do with the outside incisions. All of the ladies I spoke with and most of the girls here, say that their doctors told them that the smell is from the internal incisions healing. My best guess would be that, particularly if you have a total hysterectomy and the vaginal cuff is sewn, the smell would be from that healing; the growth of new tissue, scarring and sloughing off of unnecessary stuff, all in a damp environment. Everyone I've heard this from says that the smell goes away fairly quickly and on its own.

Not that it's a bad idea to keep your external incisions dry and cool...I've just not spoken to anyone who says that particular smell comes from those sites.

This is just from information-gathering on my part. I have no experience myself in this department. I've had several major surgeries, a few laparoscopic and a few open-cavity type. I've never had the smell these ladies talk about come from a healing incision myself. Personally, I'm not too worried about it - my husband and I won't be having any "relations" during that period anyway, and I haven't heard it said that the smell is so bad, someone across the room could tell!! (I would lock myself away if that were true! Horror!!! )

Anyway, I don't know if all of that really answers your question. If you are concerned, talk to your doc or the nurse about it. They'll be nothing but honest with you!
Unread 08-25-2008, 03:35 AM
ewwww that smell

I have heard that there will be a smell that comes from internal stitches dissolving. I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and have had some minor spotting this past week, but so far I've not experienced a stench or unusual odor. I've not had any smell with my outer stitches either, not even when I had a mild infection. I wash my incision daily with soap and water, pat dry, and use my hair drier on cool to make sure the incision is completely dry.
Unread 08-25-2008, 10:50 AM
ewwww that smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyleona
question

Personally, I'm not too worried about it - my husband and I won't be having any "relations" during that period anyway, and I haven't heard it said that the smell is so bad, someone across the room could tell!! (I would lock myself away if that were true! Horror!!! )
Feyleona: you are sooo funny

I have been post op 5+ months and I didnt experience any "smell" at any time...not even when I spotted around the 2-3rd week. but my cervix was not taken out, maybe the ladies that experience this smell has to do with the healing of the cuff
Unread 08-25-2008, 11:51 AM
ewwww that smell

I remember saying I felt like I smelled to my family , but they said I didnt smell at all... I couldnt tell where it came from.. I have to say it wasnt a really bad smell just enough to me that I felt I wanted to shower alot , hate any smells at all.. i did have my cervix out too, and I believe it was from the internal healing of the cuff...
no matter, it wasnt as bad as I felt it was.... no one else could smell me..LOL....
Unread 08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
ewwww that smell

Hahaha! Girls, you crack me up! I agree with scare d cat on this one, it's not a smell that is that bad. My doctor said that it's the combination of the internal stitches dissolving and tissue healing from the vaginal cuff. I am 6 days out and I have noticed it, BUT I was searching for it. I could only smell it when I used the bathroom and even then it wasn't AWFUL. It's kind of a chemically-dischargy smell...if that even makes sense. It's not that bad, just weird, BUT if you feel like there is something wrong or the smell gets intense then I would call your doctor just to make sure, but the smell I have is only noticable when I am using the toilet. Hope that this calmed your fears a little bit, girlies!

Love,
Jennifer

-these are my opinions, not to be taken for medical advice.
Unread 08-25-2008, 12:25 PM
ewwww that smell

yes it def, is a chemically-discharge kind of smell...but not that bad at all... I agree with jennifer here... if you have anything that smells strong or a discharge that smells I would call your DR...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register