anemic, ,might cancel surgery!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anemic, ,might cancel surgery!!! anemic, ,might cancel surgery!!!

Unread 09-23-2004, 10:27 AM
anemic, ,might cancel surgery!!!

I just got back from my pre-op visit with my Dr. He said that my blood work came back and I am anemic, gave me 2 options.
1. do surgery on Monday anyway (27th) and knowing that I will need blood transfusion
2. going on Lubron/Depot for three months to shrink fibroids and stop bleeding, then do surgery when my blood count is back up!!!

anyone been on Lubron I didn't like what I read about side effects.
I have been in a lot of pain due to the Fibroids and cysts on ovaries. made arrangments at work for 4 weeks off, so all my patients were cancelled(I am a hygienist) so I will not have patients for 4 weeks and then in 3 months will have to take another 4 weeks off. I can;t afford to to that!@!!! But I don't like the idea of someone elses blood in me either. Anyone one else have a similar problem Thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2004, 10:38 AM

Knowing how much better I feel right now, I'd say go ahead and have it knowing the blood transfusion might be needed. My mother had hers with a very low blood count, and she was fine.

Of course, we're all different...but let me put it in a perspective for you. I have a son who is now 12 and healthy, praise God. However, when he was 8 years old, he was diagnosed with cancer. For the first year, we received blood transfusions and platelets every other week..after the first one, it's not so bad..Had it not been for those selfless people who had given of their blood and platelets, my boy wouldn't have made it. The chemo caused the need for the transfusions...The blood supply is healthy now..

Think of it this way...the blood transfusion is someone else's "gift" to you....the gift of health..the gift of quality of life...the gift of freedom from your pain, etc.

If your doc says it's safe, I'd say go for it. Let us know what you decided. ((Hugs))
Unread 09-23-2004, 10:39 AM

I have A- blood and asked a very good friend with A- to donate blood on her behalf for me, and she did, incase I need it. I know that I can be safe with her blood. Might this be an option for you?
ALso most women who are having hysters are because we're excessive bleeders, so I'm sure most of us are anemic. WE all have to sign papers excepting blood transfusions, but most nevre require one, except when there is major blood loss in surgery. Most dr's know ahead of time that we're anemic and do their best to keep bleeding to a min, and also only do the transfussions if absolutely necessary. With my second c section they wanted me to have a blood transfusion, I refused and I was ok, just took longer to recovery, I was tired, but fine. My advice would be to go ahead with it, you'll be fine. You may also ask your dr about blood thinners before and during the operations, thats another route I'm taking. Hope this gives you a few ideas. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2004, 10:44 AM

My doctor was worried about clots with mine, so he gave me an injection of heparin in my abdomen before the surgery. I have been anemic most of my life, but oddly enough right before surgery I wasn't. I attribute it to all the salads I've been eating..
Unread 09-23-2004, 11:23 AM

10.5 blood count in Aug. Dr. put me on 3 iron "Feosol" a day. I continued to bleed right up to surgery 9/10 when at pre-op testing, I was 8.5 blood count. There was the discussion of the possibility of a transfusion but Dr. said I was still ok to go and the sooner I went in the sooner the anemia and growing fibroids could be arrested. Day after surgery 9/11 I was at 7.5 blood count and although felt vey weak with anemia and lingering anaethesia no transfusion was deemed necessary. I did voice my concern a few times that they would have my blood type available. Dr. assured me he would order blood to be on hand if I needed it. Listen to your Dr. but if you are otherwise healthy, and the anemia is "not down around your ankles" (the way my Dr. described even worse anemia today at a post op visit) I'd go for the surgical option now. My Doc said it takes about 4 weeks to get back up to good hemoglobin count with proper food and supplements.

Sooooo, good luck with your decision. Waiting is the worst!
I have zero regrets and at 2 weeks post op feel like I'M GETTING BETTER AND STRONGER EVERY DAY!
Unread 09-23-2004, 01:06 PM

thanks you all have been helpful, my blood count is 8.8 but after hearing your experiences I have opted to go ahead and do the surgery. They will give me a transfusion before surgery. I just hope and pray I get good blood!!!!!
Unread 09-23-2004, 04:55 PM

Keep us posted with your progress and remember to keep checking this site to get support or just give input. Always a wonderful place to vent.
Unread 09-23-2004, 05:12 PM

Good Luck luvhorses2!

I was very anemic when I had my TAH in March. Mine was due to constant heavy bleeding. I didn't need a transfusion, though they did keep really close paces on my counts for the first 48 hours.

Keep posting and let us know how you do! God Bless!

Di

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register