Abdominal Myomectomy post op 11 days (Nov 2012) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Myomectomy post op 11 days (Nov 2012) Abdominal Myomectomy post op 11 days (Nov 2012)

Unread 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Abdominal Myomectomy post op 11 days (Nov 2012)

I had an abdominal myomectomy 11 days ago and my surgeon removed 9 fibroids. I was released from the hospital after 48 hours and I am recovering at home. The sixth day post op, I started feeling anxiety at night and had trouble sleeping, the next two nights I experienced horrible night sweats. Is this normal post myomectomy? I am not on any hormone medication and taking only iron, vitamins, and Tylenol extra strength for pain now, as I stopped percocet 5 days post op. Any advice given will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Re: Abdominal Myomectomy post op 11 days

Hi,

My myomectomy was a long time ago, 2001. But I never had any of the symptoms you mentioned. My recovery was really easy.

It's not unusual to have difficulty sleeping post surgery, but that eases after you're off the pain meds (as you are) and with time.

Since you still have your ovaries, you shouldn't need hormones. It could just be recovery from the trauma to your body, but it might not be a bad idea to at least ask your doctor about the symptoms you're experiencing.

Good luck!
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:55 PM

Hi SimplyVon,
I am 5 days Post Op from an AB Myomectomy. This is my second go round. My first was tough but this time it is going smoothly. Lessons I learned from the first time.
1. Sit you behind still. Don't do stairs or bending in your first two weeks.
2. Take your pain medication as needed. I'm using Motrin and Percoset. Works perfectly for me.
3. Eat foods that are easily digestable. Depending on how many fibriods,or adhesion or scar tissue were removed. Be prepared for a painful and extremely slow bowel movement. Plus you pain medication may cause constipation. I have IBS on top of this. So I am slowly using Amitiza which has helped. Get a stool softener and be very patient with yourself. I just had my first movement today- 5 days later.
4.Rest...Rest and Rest. I can't repeat this enough. Get up and trying to do stuff can be counterproductive. You will feel your energy return and feel like you can but remember you just had internal surgery. I was hard headed and paid the price.

Get well soon and take care of yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2013, 05:51 PM

This is your second myomectomy? Wow! It's approaching the one year mark since my myomectomy (November 2012), and looks like I did all the things you shouldn't do.

I climbed up and down stairs daily and bent down very frequently the first two weeks post op (oops!). I stopped my narcotics (percocet) 5 days post op due to horrible constipation (despite taking stool softeners as directed), and the first two weeks post op were extremely, extremely difficult for me.

To this day, I still get horrible stabbing pain occasionally on the right side of my incision site, but for the most part, I am doing well. I recently have had a change in my menstrual cycles (4 in the last 6 weeks), so I am weary the fibroids may be returning, or I may have developed more cysts.

If I need to have this surgery again, I will definitely follow your advice. Good luck with your recovery!
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Abdominal Myomectomy post op 11 days (Nov 2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyvon View Post
This is your second myomectomy? Wow! It's approaching the one year mark since my myomectomy (November 2012), and looks like I did all the things you shouldn't do.

I climbed up and down stairs daily and bent down very frequently the first two weeks post op (oops!). I stopped my narcotics (percocet) 5 days post op due to horrible constipation (despite taking stool softeners as directed), and the first two weeks post op were extremely, extremely difficult for me.

To this day, I still get horrible stabbing pain occasionally on the right side of my incision site, but for the most part, I am doing well. I recently have had a change in my menstrual cycles (4 in the last 6 weeks), so I am weary the fibroids may be returning, or I may have developed more cysts.

If I need to have this surgery again, I will definitely follow your advice. Good luck with your recovery!
I'm so sorry. I didn't pay attention to the timestamp. Well, just so you know. Because I didn't follow the advice the doctor gave. I too started having stabbing pains on my left side where I had the first surgery. Along with other painful symptoms. With this surgery, the doctor found adhesions and scar tissue on that same left side plus the return of multiple fibroids.
Thank for being so kind. I wish you well. This is not a process I would wish on anyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register