Scared (uterine fibroids and heavy bleeding) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared (uterine fibroids and heavy bleeding) Scared (uterine fibroids and heavy bleeding)

Unread 12-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Scared (uterine fibroids and heavy bleeding)

I went to the dr today for a second opinion because of heavy bleeding, they did a ultrasound and said I had a adenomyoma and I was anemic and he strongly recommends at this point to do a hysterectomy. I am so heartbroken because me and my husband wanted more kids but the dr sd the fibroids are in a location that a myomectomy would be risky. Plus I'm losing so much blood in my periods the dr thinks this is the best option now. I'm so discouraged and scared because I don't want to have major surgery. I'm also scared that what if the fibroids turn out to be cancerous? I'm only 33 yrs old. My friend had a hysterectomy and she sd the pain was excruciating afterwards, please some advice because I'm terrified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Re: Scared

Hello, I just thought I would stop in and let you know that while I didn't have all the issues you're having I had the heavy bleeding, anemia and I also have developed a blood disorder called thrombocytopenia (low platelets). I saw 4 different doctors for varying reasons but in the end I opted for a hysterectomy. I am only 2 weeks into recovery right now but I feel great. So far my recovery is amazing, I only had some pain that was really uncomfortable in the first 24 hours. When the hospital sent me home I didn't even use much of my pain pills. My point here is that everyone heals differently. I'm sorry to hear your friend had so much trouble with hers but mine has been great so far. In so far as the fibroids and adenomyoma, well I had some fibroids but not the other. I have had numerous abnormal paps done so all 4 of the doctors felt this was the best option for me. I know it is really scary and hard to find anyone that understands what you're going through but this is the best place to come to. There will most definitely be someone here that has an experience that is similar to yours and will be very helpful. I wish you the best of luck. Try to relax (I know it's easier said than done) and make the best decision for YOU.
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Re: Scared

Hi Miracletobehold -

I know being told you need this surgery is a very scary and overwhelming experience. These are not the words you want to hear. I really understand. And wanting more children makes it all the more hard to swallow.

Fibroids are normally benign growths. We have several articles on uterine fibroids. I hope these articles can provide some information. You can get additional opinions as well to see if you have any other options.

Regarding the pain post-op. Everyone is different. While I would say my pain was moderately severe, it was controllable with pain meds. The first five days it was a combo of narcotics and Motrin, and after that Motrin would control the pain. I was on pain meds for a total of about three weeks.

Know that we really understand what you are going through, and are here to help and support you. You need to make the right decision for you, after careful consideration of all your options and given your condition.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register