Getting Close | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting Close Getting Close

Unread 12-14-2002, 06:18 AM
Getting Close

I've been visiting this sight for a while now, and believe that all the info and stories I have read have helped me stay 'calm' about my surgery.(if thats possible) Big Thanks to everybody!

It's getting close now...Mon. the 16th...They are doing a TAH due to Endo. cysts and fibroids... question: I still have concerns about getting rid of the ovaries...one of them is still ok, but the Dr. felt it is only a matter of time before it has to go too, so why come back for another surgery, ..is this a good idea? should I try to keep it? will the HRT cover everything? I still can't decide..and am begining to doubt myself and the Dr. Could be I'm starting to feel scared about surgery? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2002, 06:26 AM
how I made my decison on the ovary

I took a hard look at all the risk factors I had. Granny with ovarian cancer. Already lost the left ovary due to surgical adhesions. Already made many trips to the OR for gyn surgery and a proven propensity toward forming adhesions. Decided to get it out and hopefully never see the inside of another OR again. Every woman is going to have her own set of risk factors and rationales, so what worked for me, might not work for another.

Once the doc got in there, adhesions had already attacked the right ovary. Path report said the right ovary was chock full of hemmorhaggic cysts, which confirmed that it was only a matter of time before I would have to have a RSO anyway.

So, for me, it being ovary-less was the right decision. I won't kid you, getting the HRT right the first time out of the gate isn't easy or something I should of expected (foolishly I did). But HRT management with the right doc's help (waiting for an appointment with the right doc) is a managable proposition. And HRT isn't a forever thing. I will only do HRT for four or five years to get the protection I would have had if I had progressed to natural menopause. I will also have to effect some lifestyle and nutritional changes to make it all happen and I need to do that anyway.
Unread 12-14-2002, 09:36 AM
Getting Close

I had my hyst in July because of precancerous uterine tumors. We decided to take both ovaries to eliminate the chance of cancer there too. I don't regret the decision. I started on hrt in the hospital the day after surgery and have had to adjust a few times since. I don't think that it's totally right yet but we're getting closer. I suggest talking with your dr and telling him of your concerns. I'm sure that you can work things out together. Having fears is very normal, I've certainly been there. Good luck.
s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2002, 06:38 PM
Getting Close

I had everything taken out. I asked my GYN do I have to have it all go and his suggestion of yes, because of my age. Eww I hated to hear that! But I figured it's one less trip back to the OR! I have scars all over my body and I really would rather not go back in again. Heck, now there isn't anything left to remove!

I must be one of the few that has had no problem (so far) with HRT. I had the patch when I exited the OR and it was changed once while in the hospital. When I came home I had an RX for premarin. I upped it during the summer because I thought I was having hot flashes. After about a month I went back to the lower level and have stayed there ever since. I think I was just hot because of the summer months!

The only hard thing for me was the inactivity and slight weight gain. I had been walking alot after surgery to help the healing process and then slacked off when I was better. But now I'm totally recovered and back to the gym full time and loving every minute of NO MORE BLEEDING AND MESS AND PAIN AND EXHAUSTION, ETC. ETC.

TC

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register